CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody mounted gadgets like GPS and cameras ?
Looking for suggestions on how and where ?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
RAM Mounts are your friends! Their RAM ball (1") can bolt on the top of a LOT of brake reservoirs - you take the retaining screws out of the top, put the RAM ball mount on, then use longer screws to secure the entire thing.

I have 3 on my other bike, they work great - camera (2 different locations, based upon what I want to film when I'm riding) and phone/GPS. Totally secure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you running the wires that power the units ?
Are they randomly hanging there or have you neatly tied it to existing harnesses.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I agree, RAM mounts are the way to go.
As far as power, you can get the Honda setup that is a little pricy, you need two different harnesses and have to take a lot of tupperware off to install.
Or you can get a simple auto cigarette lighter outlet. Attach one end directly to the battery, route it close to the handle bars and install the socket so you can plug in the GPS or whatever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glare From the Sun

Does anyone know how to prevent glare from the sun from making the GPS hard to see? I use a RAM mount on my Burgman for the GPS and that keeps it secure, but it's so hard to see the display in the daytime. I've tried different angles and still can't see it in daylight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put a similar sun shade on the built-in GPS on my Gold Wing. It made a huge improvement.

On the CTX I'm using a Garmin GPS mounted with RAM. I tucked the wires in as best as I could.

When I wear the yellow Roadcrafter on a sunny day, it can be tough to read the GPS. The bright light coming off my suit drowns out the display. I have no issues with the display when I wear black leather.

CTX700 - TennesseeSmith's Photos

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Or you can get a simple auto cigarette lighter outlet. Attach one end directly to the battery, route it close to the handle bars and install the socket so you can plug in the GPS or whatever.
I just put one under the seat. $13 at cyclegear and I think $5 for a usb plug to put in it, thinking that routing a regular usb power cord to phone would be easier than putting the socket up top since the 12 v outlet cord was thicker and seemed too short.

12 volt power - Shows $25 online, but got for about $13 at store.

USB Adapter

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just put one under the seat. $13 at cyclegear and I think $5 for a usb plug to put in it, thinking that routing a regular usb power cord to phone would be easier than putting the socket up top since the 12 v outlet cord was thicker and seemed too short.

12 volt power - Shows $25 online, but got for about $13 at store.

USB Adapter
We did the same thing. Now I have one under the seat so I can charge my Sena helmet communicator and one on the dash to charge my phone or power the GPS.

The one from Cycle Gear is great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts