CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I put almost another 100 miles on - total just under 300 miles in about 4 days of riding. I hoped this would be the bike to get me back onto motorcycles but, it's not to be.

I have hip/leg and back issues that make getting on and off painful. The riding is no problem and, this bike is one of the nicest, most fun rides I'ver ever been on. But, most of my riding is short. Get on - go 5 miles to a store - get off. Get on - another few miles to another store - get off.....etc. All that on and off on a bad hip is too uncomfortable.

I've been riding scooters for about 90% of my riding for the last 10 years or so and think that will have to become 100% now. Going to look at a Silverwing this afternoon.

So, I'll be around until the bike sells. I'll still put some miles on it till it sells and, am really sad this won't work out. It's such a great bike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry to hear about the medical issues, however, you should be able to send the Cee Baily windshield back for a full refund (minus shipping). I would call them and check first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is the Siverwing a step thru? I think you may have the same issues if its not. I know that mounting my CTX with the bags on makes me stretch more then I am used to but its something I will get a customed to.

Wish you the best of luck with the sale and the purchase, what ever you decide.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TT I will call and see if they will take the shield back. That would be a good option.

CR yes the Silver Wing is. 600cc step through scooter. I've had several and they work well for me.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Well... at least you know the best setup for you now, which is a good thing. The most important thing is finding the ride that is comfortable and makes you want to ride as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
JerseyBiker, sorry to hear about your pain and also glad your love of riding has an option that allows you to keep riding.

I truly understand what your say. I had upper spine 6 vertebrae sawed in half and wedges and screws put over them in 2009. I had some sport bikes (Honda VFR800 for example) that where hard on my neck and so I gave them up. The CTX has not been a problem except I feel the weight when moving it around the garage while off of it.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check out the suzuki burgman 650 executive. That is a sweet ride and many travel cross country on it, as well as commute. You can get a discounted new 2012 if you hunt. Great ride. Almost got one. Sitting in a chair seat probably better than straddling engine for you. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ralph

I've had a B650 and they are great bikes. I've found for me and the riding I do a Silver Wing works better.

I bought a used Swing yesterday. 2500 miles on a 2012. Rides great!

Be well, ride safe.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Ralph

I've had a B650 and they are great bikes. I've found for me and the riding I do a Silver Wing works better.

I bought a used Swing yesterday. 2500 miles on a 2012. Rides great!

Be well, ride safe.

thanks, JerseyBiker, it was after my neck healed in 2009 I got back into riding after some years off. 18 bikes later (lol) My CTX is ok. Now you have a 2012 SWing to fit you better (with low miles too). You did not throw in the towel... Way to go, enjoy your new ride.

Reactions: JerseyBiker

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I think I posted that a Silver Wing has made it to my home. Waiting for the title to come in so haven't ridden it much. In the meantime I have put some miles on the CTX and am enjoying it. My wife is telling me I should keep it (and since I now have 3 bikes, that is saying a lot!).

The Cee Bailey shield arrived and I put it on. It is better than the short shield that came with the bike but not as much as I would have liked. Could have used another 1-2" but it will do. Cuts the noise and wind to an acceptable level and that's good enough.

So, I still have the bike for sale but who knows - maybe I will grow to like it so much I will keep it despite the discomfort. Also, If I can split the riding between it and the Silver Wing it might not be so bad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So now I have 600 miles. That includes a 140 mile afternoon ride the other day.

The hip etc issues have dissipated for the moment so, I'll ride it till I can't.

This has to be one of the nicest bikes I've ridden in years. The handling is great, power is perfect and it's so much fun to ride. So glad I got it.

So, no selling for now.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
So now I have 600 miles. That includes a 140 mile afternoon ride the other day.

The hip etc issues have dissipated for the moment so, I'll ride it till I can't.

This has to be one of the nicest bikes I've ridden in years. The handling is great, power is perfect and it's so much fun to ride. So glad I got it.

So, no selling for now.
Great to hear! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Told my wife when I retrire in 5-10 years it will be MY TIME: all done paying for kids college, etc. First thing I said was... I WANT THREE BIKES in my garage. I will keep CTX700, add a large cruiser (loooove to buy an Indian at retirement), and a dual sport. I may snatch up a low miles farkled NC700X DCT later. Maybe even a low miles VFR1200 DCT for a FOURTH bike!

So I am right with ya brother!
:)

Reactions: JerseyBiker

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I am retired and have 3 bikes in my garage! I have a 2010 Vespa GTS 300 as well. It's for sale so, I'll be back to 2 before long.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
JerseyBiker, Happy to hear some pain went awaysome and the bike does not hurt so much that you can enjoy it. 140 mile ride is a good outing for sure. Hope it continues for the spring riding season for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, for the first time in a long time it isn't hurting to ride a motorcycle. The ergonomics of the CTX must just fit me.

Added the large floorboards and enjoying it a lot.

Thanks to all for the good wishes! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts