CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my share of riding and seeing assholes on their cell phone start to pull into my lane. However, today I was riding in Chicago heading home going about 35-40mph when someone ran a stop sign. I laid into the front breaks and a bit of the rear, felt the ABS kick in and pulse the braking. Stopped within an inch of their car. Never laid it down, stayed straight and no impact. Very thankful I was aware and had ABS. The whole time it was happening in slow motion, my only thought was "I've only got 150 miles on this bike, I don't want to deal with the paperwork!"

Love my Honda CTX DCT 700.

Be aware, be safe and ATGATT. ABS ROCKS.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's always good for us all to get continually reminded that we need to be watching and expecting the cagers to be ignoring us; especially cross traffic. I'm so glad you got stopped in time.

Around the years 2001-2002 I had a bright-yellow Honda Elite 80 scooter. By far the most visible vehicle I've ever owned, but also by far the smallest. On two occasions, someone waiting to turn left to my right side decided not to wait with me nearly right in front of them. Luckily, both times, I was in a super-slow zone and was covering the brake and was able to miss them as they passed in front of me.

This situation has not yet occurred on my last two rides; the latter being a red CTX. I'm just chalking it up to luck mostly though, because I think there are always some out there who's brains will not register that we are a hazard to them, and thus, even though we're part of their vision, they don't actually see us. Today's rampant distracted driving exacerbates the problem even more.

We always hope that the steps we take to be seen will actually work. I wear bright clothing and a white helmet and try to stay where I'm most visible to the cross traffic in the lane when I get in to urban areas, but sometimes I think one could have a strobe light flashing and be wearing a clown's suit and still someone will just keep going as if we're not there.

Of course, in the case of your near miss, the driver might have not seen a tractor trailer, since this person decided he or she didn't need to stop or yield at a stop sign.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience.
This situation has not yet occurred on my last two rides; the latter being a red CTX. I'm just chalking it up to luck mostly though, because I think there are always some out there who's brains will not register that we are a hazard to them, and thus, even though we're part of their vision, they don't actually see us. Today's rampant distracted driving exacerbates the problem even more.

We always hope that the steps we take to be seen will actually work. I wear bright clothing and a white helmet and try to stay where I'm most visible to the cross traffic in the lane when I get in to urban areas, but sometimes I think one could have a strobe light flashing and be wearing a clown's suit and still someone will just keep going as if we're not there.
i added headlight modulators on both of my scooters and found a major decrease in folks making last minute left turns or pulling out in front of me from side streets. When I finally can pull the trigger on a CTX700, it will probably be my first mod. Well worth the money and totally legal based on DOT regs in all states. Here's where I got mine from. Motorcycle headlight modulator

Jack

·
Banned
463 Posts
jfc77320,
If you look at Texas Dept. of Public Safety website, under Motorcycle/ATV Safety Unit, under FAQS, item #10, it asks "what are headlight modulators and are they legal in TX.
The answer is that there is nothing in the TX Transportation Code that addresses the subject. To me that means modulators are NOT ILLEGAL.

Where did you read they were ILLEGAL?
Just wondering.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just because a headlight modulator is legal does not make it ethical.

These things anger the public as much as loud pipes. They are scientifically designed to wank on and off at a frequency that forces humans to look. This qualifies the modulator as a mind control device.

Broadcasting the wanking light to everyone in front of you is every bit as rude as broadcasting loud pipes to everyone behind you.

·
Banned
463 Posts
That's a surprise statement.
I don't have a modulator but I have never, ever heard anyone say they were angered by one.
There are many around AZ and other states I have ridden in.
Hard to put them in the same category of loud pipes, which are NOT LEGAL.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here a link to the information on the reg that supersedes state statues. I carry this with me, and have never been stopped on this issue. Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld

The thing that can cause you a ticket is if the modulator operates once it gets dark. Mine both have a photo sensor built in that stops the modulation once daylight gets reduced to a certain level.

I consider using this just as ethical as my right to not be hit by someone who mind is not focused on driving. While one can say it draws the drivers attention, I consider it no different from daylight running lights which became standard on many automobiles years ago. The idea of those was to catch the attention of the drivers coming in an opposite direction.

Problem is with so many vehicles with headlights on, try distinguishing a single beam headlamp from the traffic. Single beams definitely do not stand out in the daylight anymore. In many cases when we go out for group rides, folks prefer me to be one of the first two in the group because of my modulating headlight.

The other thing I do from a courtesy standpoint is that when I am doing urban riding and am stopped for a traffic light or in heavy same direction traffic, I disable the modulation to not annoy the driver in front of me. However in the case where the sun is at my back and where there is a lot of traffic entering the road or opposite direction turning traffic, I will keep the modulator on.

Jack

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used to have a modulator on my bike years ago. One day driving down a little used road I was behind a guy who pulled over after a few minutes. At the next red light he jumped out of his car ready to beat my ass. I calmly explained what it was and he backed off a bit but was still yelling at me as he went back to his car. I had a helmet and gear on so wasn't too afraid of him throwing a punch but it was a bit stressful.

Was only stopped by police once as he thought I had a short in my headlight. Didn't even have to show him the reg paper I carried.

Also, in some places flashing headlights is taken as a signal to allow oncoming cars to turn in front of you.

Still, overall I believe they get attention. I don't use one anymore but understand why some do.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
here a link to the information on the reg that supersedes state statues. I carry this with me, and have never been stopped on this issue. motorcycle headlight modulator regulations - webbikeworld

the thing that can cause you a ticket is if the modulator operates once it gets dark. Mine both have a photo sensor built in that stops the modulation once daylight gets reduced to a certain level.

I consider using this just as ethical as my right to not be hit by someone who mind is not focused on driving. While one can say it draws the drivers attention, i consider it no different from daylight running lights which became standard on many automobiles years ago. The idea of those was to catch the attention of the drivers coming in an opposite direction.

Problem is with so many vehicles with headlights on, try distinguishing a single beam headlamp from the traffic. Single beams definitely do not stand out in the daylight anymore. In many cases when we go out for group rides, folks prefer me to be one of the first two in the group because of my modulating headlight.

The other thing i do from a courtesy standpoint is that when i am doing urban riding and am stopped for a traffic light or in heavy same direction traffic, i disable the modulation to not annoy the driver in front of me. However in the case where the sun is at my back and where there is a lot of traffic entering the road or opposite direction turning traffic, i will keep the modulator on.

Jack
exactly.....legal in all states

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here a link to the information on the reg that supersedes state statues. I carry this with me, and have never been stopped on this issue. Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld

The thing that can cause you a ticket is if the modulator operates once it gets dark. Mine both have a photo sensor built in that stops the modulation once daylight gets reduced to a certain level.

I consider using this just as ethical as my right to not be hit by someone who mind is not focused on driving. While one can say it draws the drivers attention, I consider it no different from daylight running lights which became standard on many automobiles years ago. The idea of those was to catch the attention of the drivers coming in an opposite direction.

The other thing I do from a courtesy standpoint is that when I am doing urban riding and am stopped for a traffic light or in heavy same direction traffic, I disable the modulation to not annoy the driver in front of me. However in the case where the sun is at my back and where there is a lot of traffic entering the road or opposite direction turning traffic, I will keep the modulator on.

Jack
Thank you for posting this information.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Vulcan, you might want to go back and read #11 of the FAQS as well. There are certain caveats in Texas law that allow the ticketing of individuals. One is that you cannot use your high beams if there is oncoming traffic within 500Ft. Another is if it is distracting to other drivers. DOT does not allow the use of modulators during the night time or when light levels meet a certain level of LUX.

·
Registered
329 Posts
modulating your way thru life...

Guess where I work... ? TRAFFIC COURT, in the capital city of Kahlifornya.

I had a modulator on my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 when a lady blew a light and left turned into my left saddlebag at 10 MPH. 30 MPH judo roll over the handlebars, and I escaped with medium injuries (right shoulder, right arm). That being said, I try to install them on all my rides.

My VTX1800C had loud pipes, and it helped a little. What made a bigger difference was the sheer size of that bike at 800+ pounds with batwing fairing and jumbo hard saddlebags. Imposing size at half-a-car dimensions.

Definitely added headlight modulator to CTX700 because at 500 pounds... significantly smaller "presence in the force", and quiet as a church mouse.

Headlight modulators are street legal in all 50 states in daylight hours, end of discussion. Regarding cagers being upset with the use of a pulsating headlamp, I share this:

I was commuting to work on my 2008 KLR650 (which I painted all white), and after sliding to the front of line at a red light, the driver of a pick up truck rolled down his window and exclaimed: "That flashing light makes you look like a cop." I replied "well I am a cop, but this is my personal vehicle. That flashing light reminds you not to run me over. And yes its legal in all 50 states."

With all the cell phones, lap tops, tablets, and other crap people fiddle with WHILE DRIVING CARS, the Federal government decided you and I could strobe our headlight SO PEOPLE ARE LESS INCLINED TO KILL US COMMUTING TO WORK! If I won the lottery I would buy a million modulators and give them out free to AMA members.

I don't bother with tail light modulators; cagers don't look up until the last second before they rear end others anyway. That's why I ALWAYS cut to the front of the line. But I can do that here in CA, most of you cannot. Separate topic for another thread.

BTW, guess who jumps out of my way on the freeway because they see my flashing headlamp and panic because they think I am a motorcycle cop?!?! SOLO CAGERS ILLEGALLY DRIVING IN THE CAR POOL LANE!!! GOOD, serves them right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
life insurance

While we are on the topic of responsible riding... If you ride and are a spouse or a parent to somebody, make sure you have PHAT life insurance! I am worth far more dead than alive :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts