CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 150 or 200 miles on an 18 Goldwing. I have a favorable bias for that bike, but I still think it is the finest touring motorcycle ever made from a technical/engineering perspective (excluding luggage capacity reduction). I love it for a hundred reasons. But, that front suspension is amazing. Period. Looks like they might be putting it on other bikes based on some recent patents.

It may look a little like BMW's telelever suspension, which is very good, but Honda's is just iso much better ( in my biased opinion).

Not sure if I posted this in the right section, apologies if misplaced.

Honda Goldwing forks extended - Motorbike Writer

·
Registered
419 Posts
Back when the new model first came out there were a lot of complaints on the front shock destroying the bump stop because the bike was too lightly sprung. I found some interesting videos on Traxxion Dynamics YouTube channel a while back you might enjoy. They don’t disparage the design but more the implementation as usual in their opinion Honda using cheap shocks on a $30,000 motorcycle. They also show some videos of issues with the tie rod steering set up. I know they are in the business of selling shock upgrades but I think they are truly interested in making a great bike perform to its max capability. In one video he does a good job in explaining how an uncontrolled front suspension can cause front tire cupping.
The list of Honda patents is very interesting at the bottom of the page. Thanks for posting!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I own 2 Honda vehicles, and a Honda motorcycle (the 2nd one, before anyone gets butthurt again) and there is a stark difference between the Car and motorcycle divisions. Honda Powersports, especially USA, is a disgrace sometimes. I will not kiss a manufacture‘s ass because I shelled out money to justify a purchase.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back when the new model first came out there were a lot of complaints on the front shock destroying the bump stop because the bike was too lightly sprung. I found some interesting videos on Traxxion Dynamics YouTube channel a while back you might enjoy. They don’t disparage the design but more the implementation as usual in their opinion Honda using cheap shocks on a $30,000 motorcycle. They also show some videos of issues with the tie rod steering set up. I know they are in the business of selling shock upgrades but I think they are truly interested in making a great bike perform to its max capability. In one video he does a good job in explaining how an uncontrolled front suspension can cause front tire cupping.
The list of Honda patents is very interesting at the bottom of the page. Thanks for posting!!
You know, I did see that video before and forgot all about it. I thought that Honda came up with a fix after first issuing their "performing as designed" statement. Anyhow, flawed or not, my limited experience on the bike created a total love affair. I just love the bike. I'd probably have one but the Chief Financial Officer, I mean wife, has approved a Vette or Mustang. I'm not gonna press it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts