CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the weather clears up here in central Indiana tomorrow morning I'm going to jump on the Rebel ride south of Indy to the Honda dealer I bought the Rebel from, and take a ride on a CTX.

I hope I don't hate myself tomorrow afternoon...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have fun. Enjoy the ride!!
Thanks, I hope to. Won't know if I even want to trade/buy the CTX until I actually ride one. Even If I do like the CTX I might still wait till spring to get one. Unless they "make me a deal I can't refuse"...:D

Reactions: Kirstenparks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take money.
Take money... heck I'm like the guy in the boat on the Geico commercial, I'm MADE of money.:D

Ok not really, I lied.

It's 8am, just looked out the window and see mostly clear skies and the streets are dry. Look's like I'm headed down to Dreyer Honda South.

Reactions: Kirstenparks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Let me know how it goes, as I am in the same position. Pondering driving to a dealer an hour up north, just to try one out to see if I'll like it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me know how it goes, as I am in the same position. Pondering driving to a dealer an hour up north, just to try one out to see if I'll like it.
Well I rode one, the only one they had prepped was an automatic. Very impressed with the bike size and comfort wise. While the DCT was nice don't know if it is something I'd want. It seems to shift too soon at slower speeds and lugs the engine IMO.

Typing on my phone right now, will add more when I get home. All in all, nice bike though.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Going to look at bikes is like going to look at puppies: you're gonna get one.

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I rode one, the only one they had prepped was an automatic. Very impressed with the bike size and comfort wise. While the DCT was nice don't know if it is something I'd want. It seems to shift too soon at slower speeds and lugs the engine IMO.

Typing on my phone right now, will add more when I get home. All in all, nice bike though.
I prefer the sport mode to prevent the low speed shifting. Or you can us manual mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm home... here's a pic of the one I rode.

I'll have to say the CTX ISN'T a powerhouse, but is powerful enough at least for my needs. I found the seating position to be very comfortable, I kept almost putting my feet on the ground as the pegs are farther forward than the bike I have now.

It isn't "silky" smooth, but I didn't think it would be. It's smooth at cruising speeds but does throb some on acceleration.

As far as the DCT, it's different not having to shift and it does work rather well other than shifting too soon at slow speeds. Didn't know about the sport setting, I suppose that's the "S" on the switch.:confused:

They'll have to work on the price some. Asking $399 to remove it from a crate and check the fluids seems rather steep IMO. They offered me $1600 and some change for the Rebel on trade, I don't know the book value but I think it should be worth more than that. I'll have to think on this for awhile... Do like it though.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
firehawk, clean up you Rebel spotless, make sure you have all the paperwork in your name, take 6-8 good pictures of it, research others for sale that are equal, run ad on craigs list, Tell them all the good things why your bike is better than others listed, don't let anyone drive it without full cash price in your hand. I did this and sold my last 16 bikes to the very first person who came to look at it. Dealers will give you wholesale Kelly blue book at most.

There is some discounting if you go with cash and even if you finance part of it you will be looked as a serious because you have some cash to go with it. Also the riding season is getting shorter so better deals happen in the winter.

You have already said the power of your Rebel was lacking and the CTX did not seem as strong as you thought. Be sure to explore other bikes before putting your money down and getting a new bike (a new bike entices you to not think things through totally). The CTX /Nt700 are great bikes in their design but they are not the only game in town. Do the upgrade right and get the bike the fits you needs and budget and you will be happier down the road. I see lost enchantment now on this forum with the CTX as a very few riders were expecting something the CTX is not. They did not do their homework I think. Don't have buyer's remorse. Do your homework. Example, I am getting an FZ-09 at a cost of 1000.00 more than my CTX700N cost. I will be keeping my CTX for my around town and work bike but the FZ will fill the needs I have for the other type of riding I do.

good luck picking your best motorcycle you have ever owned next.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have already said the power of your Rebel was lacking and the CTX did not seem as strong as you thought. Be sure to explore other bikes before putting your money down and getting a new bike (a new bike entices you to not think things through totally). The CTX /Nt700 are great bikes in their design but they are not the only game in town. Do the upgrade right and get the bike the fits you needs and budget and you will be happier down the road. I see lost enchantment now on this forum with the CTX as a very few riders were expecting something the CTX is not. They did not do their homework I think. Don't have buyer's remorse. Do your homework. Example, I am getting an FZ-09 at a cost of 1000.00 more than my CTX700N cost. I will be keeping my CTX for my around town and work bike but the FZ will fill the needs I have for the other type of riding I do.

good luck picking your best motorcycle you have ever owned next.
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

As far as the CTX not being as strong as I thought, I should have been more specific in my statement. The CTX has more than enough power for my riding style, being 57 (soon to be 58) my boy racer days are long over. I had my fun riding sportbikes years ago, almost joined WERA and raced in that series. I ride now simply for the enjoyment of riding. While I do still enjoy a nice curvy road, I have no desire to drag footpegs OR header pipes. Age has taught me one thing.... I'm NOT indestructable.:rolleyes:

I have no real desire for the Harley style cruisers, not big on the "adventure" style bikes either. That is what drew me to the CTX in the first place, the style, larger displacement, more power, and more room than the Rebel but not too large/cumbersome. After riding the CTX I have to say it is a perfect match for me and how I ride. Heck I even liked the DTC model I rode, only wish I had known about the sport mode when I rode it.

The same dealer and same same salesman wanted too much for the Rebel when I first looked at it, I told them "nope too much" and left. A few days later my phone rang and they wanted to know if I was still interested, I said yes but not for what your asking. He said let me call you back, and when he did he was right at what I was willing to pay for it. I know the one I'm looking at now is new but I'll give him some time and see if I get a call.

Yes I like the CTX, but seeing I have a perfectly good bike in the garage I don't HAVE to do anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The sports mode makes a big difference when you ride it. I like sport mode when riding at low speeds. I am a fairly new rider and I have been practicing low-speed maneuvers in parking lots. I find them easier in sport mode because it doesn't want to shift all the time at low speeds. The regular auto mode is great for gas mileage on the highway though. I think of it as "eco mode."

You can also put the bike into manual and use the shifter buttons (left thumb and forefinger) and do all the shifting yourself. You can also use those when in auto mode if you want it to shift sooner than it does in auto. Lots of options to make it do what you want.

When I'm making a deal with my dealer I say "I'm a repeat customer and I think you should be willing to give me your best deal." My dealer says I "play hardball." But, it's my money and I don't want to waste it.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
I did the same as you, I test rode the DCT cause it was the only one road ready. They did have an NC700 road ready, but that wouldn't have proved anything to me except how the trans feels. It's good that we both rode the DCT first cause it fills the testing needs. If it was good enuff, then the manual bike will be more then good enuff. Having a manual will only be better then DCT was cause all trans work will be under your control.

Negotiate prices, any price/s they first give is just a starting price. They are called dealers for a reason, make a deal~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts