CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally installed my Givi Top Box and it took FOREVER. The Givi mounting kit is very secure and basically has bars that hold onto the frame of the bike. These seemed more secure than the SHAD kit so I kept with the Givi. What I didnt realize was the instructions would come with literally 1 or 2 sheets of paper with terrible pictures.

The total installation took about two hours between me and a local mechanic here in NYC. Notes:

1. You must take off a load of plastics on the back end of the bike, which are secured by a lot of nylon bolts/pegs. Keep them all because theres more than you would think on these plastics.

2. you need to remove ALL the hooks on the bike. There are two hooks on both sides of the NC700N and in order to install the bars correctly, they must ALL be removed. This was the most annoying part because the instructions didnt detail that you needed to remove all the hooks. We had thought that only one set of them needed to be taken off but the mounts wouldnt work if you didnt remove both.

The mounts are easy to purchase on eBAY with a monokey mount - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Givi-1131FZ-Monorack-TOP-CASE-MOUNT-KIT-M5-PLATE-FOR-Honda-CTX-700N-DCT/382931037948?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
47 on 700N

You are a better man than I! I had a local shop install mine this week. I wasn't sure if the 47 liter would look too big, but I would rather have too much space than not enough. I think it looks okay.

BTW- The installer agrees that these are a challenge.

Purchased mine from Revzilla and there was a couple scratches on the cover. I called them and they gave me the option of returning the top case, $60 of Revzilla credit or a $45 refund to my credit card. I figured I would put a scratch or two on it soon anyway, so I took the $45 refund. Revzilla was great to work with on the order.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bracket for the CTX700D is two simple brackets that mount under the rear grab bars. About a half hours work and you still have all the hooks in place. I do like the racy angle though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The bracket for the CTX700D is two simple brackets that mount under the rear grab bars. About a half hours work and you still have all the hooks in place. I do like the racy angle though.
Givi has two types of mountings, still fitting to all Givi motorcycle top cases. Mine is similar to the one in photos from Pentax. I don't see why the model made for n-model couldn't fit to all models. Maybe I am wrong...

·
Registered
64 Posts
To install on the CTX700N, did you need to buy the Honda inner support brackets as well as the Givi brackets? I am upgrading from a Yamaha Majesty, and have an old E52 top case I would like to re-use on my 2018 CTX700N.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
AdMore has a light kit for that Top Box.
You’re bike looks very, very nice!

Glenn

·
Registered
801 Posts
To install on the CTX700N, did you need to buy the Honda inner support brackets as well as the Givi brackets? I am upgrading from a Yamaha Majesty, and have an old E52 top case I would like to re-use on my 2018 CTX700N.
On the Naked model, you will need to purchase the inner support bracket as it does not come with it from the factory.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Whoosh, there goes another 80 bucks!
Look at it this way. They come standard on the fairing version but that is usually about $1k more than the naked model so you saved $920 dollars. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pentax, when you installed the Givi support bars, did the holes line up exactly with the plate into which the case clamps? I am having a problem where the holes on the M5 plate don't line up with the holes on the support bars. I called Givi USA in NV and they are telling me to just loosen the support bars, bolt on the plate, then tighten everything down. The forward holes on the support bars are further apart than they should be, but closer together than the rearmost holes on the support bars. But as you can see from the photo, I would have to bend the bars in towards each other quite a ways to get the holes to line up, which would put stress on the plastic plate. It's that far off on both sides. Did you run into this at all? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mounting a Givi Monokey top box, brackets and plate were pretty easy for my fairing model. I'm actually due to strip mine off again to add stoplight wiring and don't consider it a chore whatsoever.

It was mounting the Honda factory sidecases whose instructions asked that you strip all plastic off the bike starting at the front. Luckily, found a tip in the forum that allowed me to start just under the tank and work back. The side cases weren't fun regardless and required adding and subtracting various supplied spacers until I found a balance that worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts