CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks,
Recently i replaced my original short windshield on the full flared model and I see excessive vibration/buffeting?
at 60+mph speeds. Infact the original one seemed to work much better. Wondering what may be the issue.
Btw, while replacing I may have broken a couple of plastic clips (that hold in place) and also re-inserted
the rubber stripe that existed on the original one but did NOT on the Givi one. Wondering what may be
going on here. I feel like my helmet is getting hit with LOT more wind at 60+mph. Please help.

Thanks!

PS: I had posted in troubleshooting, but reposting here. Mods please delete the other one. Since
few have Givi here, just wanted some feedback. Thank you!.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Just a thought; Is there any rubber spacer between the screen and the upper portion of the instrument cluster shroud? I have found that most vibration of the tall windscreens is resolved by stuffing a ~8" piece of very firm foam in there for support.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2017 CTX700DCT full fairing and installed the Givi ST1133 a few weeks ago. Haven't ridden a lot due to weather, but Saturday did get out and rode into cross and head wind of about 20mph, at 50 to 55 mph and had no buffeting. Actually had quite a bit of wind protection and no helmet buffeting, like with the short windscreen. Mounted only using the four original mount points.

·
Registered
119 Posts
is the screen moving around or is it just the redirectected airflow? The givi tall screen is on the short side and it could be as simple as where the airflow is hitting you. At 5'8" my givi was only chin high with horrible buffetting at highway speeds. With the addition of a clip-on deflector extending it to nose height it has proven to be better than even the cee-bailey for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much folks!. One follow up qn on stuffing a ~8" piece of very firm foam: How thick should be the foam?
I reused the the one that was on the original windshield but not sure if that's the cause of this. I'm checking and will report back.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I don't recall the thickness. It is a closed cell style product. But I'm going to say it was approx 3/4" thick (square). I only used a 3M double sided tape on the side that sticks to the instrument shroud. The foam I used was from the EarthX battery box spacer material.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't recall the thickness. It is a closed cell style product. But I'm going to say it was approx 3/4" thick (square). I only used a 3M double sided tape on the side that sticks to the instrument shroud. The foam I used was from the EarthX battery box spacer material.
thank you. One last qn as we are on the topic :). Wondering where do I get those black push screws and also the white clips that
go inside part of the fair (front panel). Whiel removing, I may have broken some and wanted to fasten them.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Those parts are available from your dealer or you can find them by looking at Honda Parts Nation or at any of the other on-line parts supplier. I have also bought some of the push pin rivets from Banggood (just measure carefully).

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I just remembered that I bought the push pin rivets from Amazon, eBay, or Alibaba (not Banggood). Just use the Honda part # when you search for them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes also carry the push pin or rivet type fastener. Bought some there in different lenghts and diameters to repair trim shrouds on GMC Terrain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When i installed my windscreen, dropped one of the plastic pin rivets. Gone forever. Just used a small black ziptie for the one on the front wind cover. Its not going anywhere and cant be seen.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
They look like the ones I ordered. Just check the length and diameter, There are two different sizes, styles and lengths.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They look like the ones I ordered. Just check the length and diameter, There are two different sizes, styles and lengths.
What is the length and dia? 6mmx10? I searched the forum was little confused. Thank you

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I actually had to measure them. 6mm dia sounds right, as does 8mm. It seems the length was different for each.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you could pls send me the exact link that you got them, it will be awesome. I know it's not expensive, but just don't want to order wrong one :).
Thank you sir!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I believe the one you show will cover most of the needs.

It has been a couple of years since I ordered them, IIRC they are 6x6mm and 8x8mm there are also a few with phillips head quarter turn for release.

Looking at the parts manual I see Honda Pt#'s; 90116-SP0-003 CLIP BUMPER SEAL, also 90684-MBG-003 CLIP, DRIVE CHAIN CASE, 90683-MBW-003
CLIP, BODY, 90666-SDA-A01 CLIP, SNAP FITTING (the small white snap-on pressure clips). Searching on the parts with a Honda xxxxx-... prefix will get multiple returns for the parts.

If you don't already have a source for exploded parts identification I suggest you use: Chaparral, @ https://www.chapmoto.com/oem-parts# . They have one of the better catalogs on the internet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
when i installed my windscreen, dropped one of the plastic pin rivets. Gone forever. Just used a small black ziptie for the one on the front wind cover. Its not going anywhere and cant be seen.
i second the zip tie...i did the same thing and it worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
When i installed my windscreen, dropped one of the plastic pin rivets. Gone forever. Just used a small black ziptie for the one on the front wind cover. Its not going anywhere and cant be seen.
i second the zip tie...i did the same thing and it worked just fine.
I "third" the zip ties. I've used at least a half dozen or more as replacements and carry several with me -- just in case.
:nerd:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts