CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up CTX people?!?!

I know, I haven't posted here in a ages. Please understand, I am NOT trying to rile the base or stir the pot with this post (and if moderators feel it necessary to delete this post, go for it) but the owners of this company that does this, and so many other sites, are making changes.

They just made the change to the Ninja 500 forum and, WOW!!! WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE!!! (IMO).

Everything is ad's, ad's and more ad's. The ads are between the posts, around the thread on all sides which means you'll have a significantly smaller text box. So, if you are not a texter then I'm willing to bet you won't like the new platform. (Wait until you try to post a picture! Have your readers handy!!!)

I know it sounds harsh but, so far, the positives is that it appears to be a smooth transition so none of the threads (at this time) were lost. Everything is still up to date (but try finding them!) and nothing should change with personal profiles and whatnot.

Anyway, hope everyone is Coronavirus-FREE and doing well! Again, delete if you feel you need to.

***And for the record...YES, I've been riding every day!!! >:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, I tracked down and checked the forum Devilsfan mentioned and on top of the comments he already made, there is a tonne of wasted "white space" in the design.

If this is the way this site is heading to, my visits here will become even less frequent. I usually go into hibernation for the NY "non-riding season", but with the pandemic going on, and myself being the main driver for my mother and sister, I doubt I'll be getting on the bike much until this passes - I can't go down and not be available for them

TLDR version: agree with Devilsfan - YUCK, DO NOT WANT.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Second the ad block plus - AND
if the powers that be make it so that I cannot view this site with my ad blocker on - then I will not be a viewer any longer!
There are a few sites I cant view any longer because of this - I dont care!

It is that simple.
These ads a way to intrusive, and don't we all know from way back when to NOT CLICK on an ad for fear of a virus?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Second the ad block plus - AND
if the powers that be make it so that I cannot view this site with my ad blocker on - then I will not be a viewer any longer!
There are a few sites I cant view any longer because of this - I dont care!

It is that simple.
These ads a way to intrusive, and don't we all know from way back when to NOT CLICK on an ad for fear of a virus?!?!?!?!
Just stay 6 foot away from any ad and limit your time on this site to under 10 minutes.... >:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have no idea what site you are referring to....said the blind, deaf, dumb guy.

Can someone clue me in. I didn't even know there was a Ninja 500.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to hear from you again, Devils!!

I sent you a PM months ago. You never responded!

I have no idea what site you are referring to....said the blind, deaf, dumb guy.

Can someone clue me in. I didn't even know there was a Ninja 500.

The Kawasaki Ninja EX500 was produced from 1984 - 2009. Also known in GB as the GPZ500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_500R

Here's what the new site will look like:

https://www.ex-500.com/

While some on that site don't care or actually do like it, you can browse around to see how it will look on here if they do this format. To me, it just feels like the posts are smaller in size and there seems to be so much more "stuff" all around.

Just my opinion! Maybe because I'm bored from this constant indoors mayhem. That said, I did get in 135 miles today!!! >:)

·
Super Moderator
6,207 Posts
The Ninja 500 is an old, long obsolete bike. The CTX is in the same condition, but just a few more years newer and had a much shorter run with far fewer sales. As for forums today, the same also applies. Modern mass of people don't use forums today, everything is now run on major social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. And even some individuals even have blogs. As mentioned of texting, it's true. People no longer use computers, but rather phones, tablets and IPads. So all formatting today on the net is designed for their use. It doesn't matter if you like the old way or use old tech, the times and tech continues to change. As the saying goes, Adapt or Die...

If you don't understand why this site also changes formating and has less activity more and more as time goes on, then please reread this post.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are plenty of sites out there that run software which can accommodate both PC users and mobile device users.

Any decent forum software should allow a user to at least customize the interface (i.e. text size, spacing) IMNSHO.

A lot of the newer sites are nothing but marketing billboards, with no sense of community.

At some point, the owners of sites which exist to support the interests of older adult people will realize they don't want to use a cell phone to access the web.

Everyone has the choice of whether they want to continue to support a given site. You don't like, you don't come back.

I will wait to see the new site before I pass judgement.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I will say I was part of another car forum for several years. Due to poor site management by the administrators, ads with significant viruses showed up after a substantial site upgrade and infected almost over 50% of the users that logged in. They didnt even need to click on the links to get the virus because it got embedded in the site itself.

Hopefully the administration here is competent enough to protect their site and the users... (I have yet to see anything indicating incompetence.)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I sent you a PM months ago. You never responded!

Dan! Omg. I honestly didn't see your PM. Literally. I just checked and I had about 6 pm's from folks that were unopened because I didn't get notified that they were there. I am so sorry.

You had talked about your Vtx, and your riding style etc. Totally agree.

I'll be sending you a pm shortly to catch up. Again. So sorry and to anybody else I didn't respond to. That is not normal for me.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Change is fine, better than the alternative... The NM4 forum literally disappeared over night. No warning, no chance to grab friends contact info, all the technology posts gone.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Ninja 500 is an old, long obsolete bike. The CTX is in the same condition, but just a few more years newer and had a much shorter run with far fewer sales. As for forums today, the same also applies. Modern mass of people don't use forums today, everything is now run on major social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. And even some individuals even have blogs. As mentioned of texting, it's true. People no longer use computers, but rather phones, tablets and IPads. So all formatting today on the net is designed for their use. It doesn't matter if you like the old way or use old tech, the times and tech continues to change. As the saying goes, Adapt or Die...

If you don't understand why this site also changes formating and has less activity more and more as time goes on, then please reread this post.
Makes sense, Reb...but "obsolete" (like beauty) is in the opinion/eye of the beholder, LOL! (Old School & growing older by the day;) Ride On)

·
Super Moderator
6,207 Posts
Makes sense, Reb...but "obsolete" (like beauty) is in the opinion/eye of the beholder, LOL! (Old School & growing older by the day;) Ride On)
Obsolete was the wrong term, a rotary phone would be obsolete for today's standards. As you can still ride the Ninja 500 and CTX, they are no longer produced and do not have the latest tech or even meet today's production and sales standards. They are by the very least, old tech or generally speaking out of date.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rebel, I think the CTX has all the tech that is useful going forward. It's only 'obsolete' because it doesn't lie at some extreme end of riding. Manufacturers pour a ton of resources into making a sport bike .00001% faster or turn better, but create then largely ignore more universal bikes like the CTX.

But the CTX has all the useful tech going forward. I think the CTX is actually ahead of the curve. It has fuel injection, ABS, and the DCT is going to become standard for a lot of bikes in the future. I think now that Honda has made a decent one, other manufacturers will jump on that bandwagon and offer bikes with manual or DCT. With the Goldwing getting it- the DCT's popularity will only grow. If they started slapping it on the 'beginner' bikes they would sell like hotcakes. This is something that the manufacturers are slow to understand- they would sell a ton more units if they put a DCT in newbie friendly machines.
The only thing that makes the CTX obsolete is the buyer. People are sold on needing a specialized everything. So bikes like the CTX that are Universal Japanese Motorcycles are largely ignored. It's just not as sexy as 'sport bike' even if that sport bike is a 300 and slower than a CTX. They NEED that sporty machine to ride the speed limit around town don't you know? Just like all the people with $25000 harley touring machines....that rarely leave the garage let alone the city limits.

Actual utility is not what sells units. Bikes are sold as specialized vehicles that do basically one thing. They are super fast, or super comfy for crossing the country. But no manufacturer puts much effort or advertising into UJMs. 'It does it all okay' is not a good tag line. So while 99.999% of people that buy a ZX-14 will never even break 100mph much less approach 200mph....Kawi will pour millions into advertising it as a street bike and sell a ton more of them than the Vulcan line. Even looking around a bike shop- all the posters are sport bikes leaned over or 900lbs touring machines with a warehouse worth of luggage. There is no 'okay for everyday riding' poster of a CTX commuting in traffic.

And frankly- not too many people are looking for a NEW bike in that price range. The pre-pandemic economy was such that getting a loan for that 10k hyper-focused machine is just as easy as a $6000 loan for a new CTX. And the sales people would much rather sell you a 10k bike than a 6k one.

Honda needs to slap that DCT in a sport model- probably a 'beginner' sport bike. That would sell like hotcakes. Give people a fully faired machine that appears fast (doesn't have to actually be, just see the old Katana for an example of this) with an auto/semi-auto transmission and they'd fly off the showroom floor.

I fully expect miniaturization to continue so they aren't adding 15lbs or so for a DCT to small bikes like a Rebel 250. But ABS, DCT, etc- all the future of bikes and the CTX had it all along.

·
Super Moderator
6,207 Posts
Rebel, I think the CTX has all the tech that is useful going forward. It's only 'obsolete' because it doesn't lie at some extreme end of riding. Manufacturers pour a ton of resources into making a sport bike .00001% faster or turn better, but create then largely ignore more universal bikes like the CTX.

But the CTX has all the useful tech going forward. I think the CTX is actually ahead of the curve. It has fuel injection, ABS, and the DCT is going to become standard for a lot of bikes in the future. I think now that Honda has made a decent one, other manufacturers will jump on that bandwagon and offer bikes with manual or DCT. With the Goldwing getting it- the DCT's popularity will only grow. If they started slapping it on the 'beginner' bikes they would sell like hotcakes. This is something that the manufacturers are slow to understand- they would sell a ton more units if they put a DCT in newbie friendly machines.
The only thing that makes the CTX obsolete is the buyer. People are sold on needing a specialized everything. So bikes like the CTX that are Universal Japanese Motorcycles are largely ignored. It's just not as sexy as 'sport bike' even if that sport bike is a 300 and slower than a CTX. They NEED that sporty machine to ride the speed limit around town don't you know? Just like all the people with $25000 harley touring machines....that rarely leave the garage let alone the city limits.

Actual utility is not what sells units. Bikes are sold as specialized vehicles that do basically one thing. They are super fast, or super comfy for crossing the country. But no manufacturer puts much effort or advertising into UJMs. 'It does it all okay' is not a good tag line. So while 99.999% of people that buy a ZX-14 will never even break 100mph much less approach 200mph....Kawi will pour millions into advertising it as a street bike and sell a ton more of them than the Vulcan line. Even looking around a bike shop- all the posters are sport bikes leaned over or 900lbs touring machines with a warehouse worth of luggage. There is no 'okay for everyday riding' poster of a CTX commuting in traffic.

And frankly- not too many people are looking for a NEW bike in that price range. The pre-pandemic economy was such that getting a loan for that 10k hyper-focused machine is just as easy as a $6000 loan for a new CTX. And the sales people would much rather sell you a 10k bike than a 6k one.

Honda needs to slap that DCT in a sport model- probably a 'beginner' sport bike. That would sell like hotcakes. Give people a fully faired machine that appears fast (doesn't have to actually be, just see the old Katana for an example of this) with an auto/semi-auto transmission and they'd fly off the showroom floor.

I fully expect miniaturization to continue so they aren't adding 15lbs or so for a DCT to small bikes like a Rebel 250. But ABS, DCT, etc- all the future of bikes and the CTX had it all along.
"The only thing that makes the CTX obsolete is the buyer." Absolutely, you said it! The CTX doesn't sell...it doesn't pop to the masses. As for your advertisements comment, it is rubbish. There is nearly no marketing-advertisements for motorcycles in general across the board. Of 100+ models of bikes available today, how many actually have commercials themselves, maybe 3? If any adds are out there, they are brand specific typically. Most internet adds don't count, they use your browsing history like phishing, it is nothing like a billboard or tv commercial.

Fuel injected and ABS is standard now, it is nothing to brag about when everything has them, it is called the industry standard!

Modern tech includes that the CTX does not would be such as ride by wire, tft screen, temp gauge, LED lighting signals and headlight, eco meter, and more. With higher models including cruise, additional trip data, electronic suspension, signal cancelation, power levels and much more.

Technology evolves, you have to observe to keep up. The ctx gauge alone is over 8 years old... Look at the latest NC750, it is up to date!

DCT is not standard and never will be on all bikes! Automatic in general is an option and will become more popular in time, but DCT is not the only automatic platform!

And your ZX-14 comment is just hilarious.

The CTX was never a $6k bike, but starting at $7k minimum and went up.

People buy bikes in all ranges of price and capabilities. All the options out there are large and ARE selling. Just cause you stick to $10k and under, not everyone else does. There are bikes for all tastes, more than the ctx and zx-14 and everything between and outside of them. What else have you owned modern to the ctx or late model? Your opinion sounds like a bias ownership opinion to me rather than an experienced one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
People buy bikes that they like. Whether it is the look, the sound, the feel, some particular feature or the price, buying a bike is a personal choice. While there are lots of comments about how Harley's don't last and seldom go out of town, as I travelled through the Maritimes and the north eastern states, I saw more fully dressed Harley's that all other bikes combines. Obviously, lots of people in those areas like Harley's.

I went shopping for bikes with a buddy a few weeks ago, and he wast totally blown away by teh new Kawasaki W800 street bike, which looks like it took most of its styling from the Triumph Bonnevilles. Yes, it has fuel injection, ABS and all the other new standards, but it was the LOOK that got him. The seat with a slightly elevated rear portion and vinyl molded to look like stitches, the according dust covers on the front shocks, and the beautifully shaped parallel pipes.

Honda motorcylces in the US declined like all other manufacturers in 2019, down for the 4th straight year, with sales of about 336,000 in 2016 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/267277/worldwide-motorcycle-sales-of-honda/ and https://motorcyclesdata.com/2020/02/02/united-states-motorcycles-market/ ) but with world wide sales of over 20 million (Canada is but a blip in this area).

Most of the bikes being sold across the world are not what sells in North America. In most of the world, the CTX is too big, too expensive and not what people are looking for, despite our collective love for it. In North America, it is too small, not advanced enough technologically, not a sports bike or a fully dressed touring bike, and people buying bikes don't seem to list price as the dominant factor.

for me, and many of us on this forum, it is the (or one of) right bike at the right time. Now let the snow melt, get the roads cleared of sand and salt and I will self isolate on some nice back roads and try to escape all that is wrong with the world and just enjoy what I have.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts