CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading on here about the clunk when shifting into gear on the Dct bikes, is there any gear whine once in gear or in any of the 6 speeds?

That clunk is pretty normal for all the bikes i have owned some a little louder than others. There are bikes out there that have some gear whine or belt noise.

Is there any difference between the standard tranny and auto?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have been reading on here about the clunk when shifting into gear on the Dct bikes, is there any gear whine once in gear or in any of the 6 speeds?

That clunk is pretty normal for all the bikes i have owned some a little louder than others. There are bikes out there that have some gear whine or belt noise.

Is there any difference between the standard tranny and auto?

I have standard. Most wining comes from cam chain. clunking usually improves when I have the clutch adjusted correctly.

Every oh cam model bike I owned had some wine in it at different rpms and loads. Pretty normal.

·
Banned
463 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Wine??
Cabernet or chardonnay?

ha ha.
I imagine you have a preference. I remember
Gallo pink Chablis in gallon jug....2.99 1974-5 were my drinking years (and single years). I did buy a CB550F new for 1795.00 in 75. That's when the speed limit was moved down to 55. It did 14.3 in the quarter mile.

now I cant use wine or whine correctly in a sentence and it's not even because I have been drinking wine..... but my motorcycles still whine at least.

Reactions: vulcan

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've got the standard, and yes I hear a whine. In fact, whilst cruising, other than a little road noise from the tires, the only thing I can hear through all the wind noise, is the drive line whine. Can't hear the engine at all until I put some load on it via accelerating but the whine is always there.

No clunk though when shifting. I'm new to motorcycles, so my shifts aren't always real smooth, but when I engage just right I get no clunk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks greg for answering the question!

100 views so far and no one else has noticed this or has a comment about their bike?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I have the DCT model. Doesn't clunk! The transmission is nothing more than a manual transmission with 2 electronically controlled hydraulic clutch's that do the shifting for you. Nothing more, nothing less. The bike shifts so you feel it and hear it. Sounds like any other bike out there. Only faster and smoother with no hesitation. This is another one of those mindless myths that has no basis in fact. The bike is incredibly quiet. Very little engine or drive line noise considering it is a chain drive. This bike is so quiet the loudest sound is the front tire rolling on the pavement.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My dct does not whine in so far as I have noticed. Nor have I perceived a clunk beyond what I would expect from a shifting bike. Certainly no more noticable than on the Vstar I traded in for this bike. The only noise I notice is the wind around the Madstad screen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cruised about 100 miles today. No whine. Yes, a little clunking sound going into gear from neutral, but no different than my old Shadow 1100. Once it's rolling, the gear shift registers, but it's pretty smooth overall. No regrets going with the DCT, although I have never experienced the manual only model.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks greg for answering the question!

100 views so far and no one else has noticed this or has a comment about their bike?
I should add that the whine I hear (or some may call it a grinding noise) is only barely audible to me. Not obtrusive or annoying, but I also would say that it is not a pleasing sound either. Can't compare it to other bikes, as this is my first bike. The scooter I owned had a noise too but couldn't hear it while cruising even after adding a tall windshield. Most likely, what I'm hearing on the CTX is no louder than any other model of a chain-driven mc, but since the engine is so quite while cruising, it's probably more noticeable than on other bikes with louder engines. All of this is speculation, but I know for sure that I'm hearing some kind of drive line noise. Before I got the tall windshield though, I couldn't hear this at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Haven't noticed any whining. Love the CLICK CLICK CLICK of gears up-shifting during acceleration and deceleration, and I don't have to do anything but watch the scenery fly by!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts