CTX 700 Forum banner

Do you want one?

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Under the left rear fender. Ties directly into the rear tail/turn signal harness connections.

Hey... That's MY bike! I recognize the crappy drywall repair in the bottom corner! Glad to see my efforts took root!
For anyone that wants to roll their own, here's the link to my 2016 webpage where I installed my topbox and made the breakout harness.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hey... That's MY bike! I recognize the crappy drywall repair in the bottom corner! Glad to see my efforts took root!
For anyone that wants to roll their own, here's the link to my 2016 webpage where I installed my topbox and made the breakout harness.
Yes it is. I took the inspiration from your information to make my own. Now that I have all the tools to do it right, I am now making the adapter harnesses for those that do not want to hack into the factory harness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes it is. I took the inspiration from your information to make my own. Now that I have all the tools to do it right, I am now making the adapter harnesses for those that do not want to hack into the factory harness.
Have you considered adding connections for an LED flasher module as an "upgrade"? The flasher is $5 from ebay or Amazon and even less if you buy more. Male and female bullet connectors are dirt cheap, easy to install and with a little extra heat shrink, pretty good on water resistance! The main reason behind the original break out was to get the top box wired. I went over the edge when I added the laser! Lesson learned, don't waste your money. The laser died a week later!
Well good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Have you considered adding connections for an LED flasher module as an "upgrade"? The flasher is $5 from ebay or Amazon and even less if you buy more. Male and female bullet connectors are dirt cheap, easy to install and with a little extra heat shrink, pretty good on water resistance! The main reason behind the original break out was to get the top box wired. I went over the edge when I added the laser! Lesson learned, don't waste your money. The laser died a week later!
Well good luck and ride safe!
I added in a flasher module and extra brake lights for mine. The harness I provide through this forum allows others to hack apart this harness instead of the factory one and they can customize their harness to whatever farkles they want to add.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added in a flasher module and extra brake lights for mine. The harness I provide through this forum allows others to hack apart this harness instead of the factory one and they can customize their harness to whatever farkles they want to add.
I just did a search for the 6 pin Sumitomo HX .040 -.090 connectors. Damn if Amazon doesn't sell them as a set. To make it even better... There is a vendor selling a pack of five sets for $15... Geez did these things get cheap or what?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·

·
Registered
196 Posts
Coincidentally, I added the Admore light kit to my Givi top case yesterday. Having explorecaves' wiring harness made that the easiest part of the project. Had to MacGyver the LED boards into the case because apparently Givi manufactured them differently in 2005 than when Admore designed their kit. Really like the Admore light kits. While I was in there I also replaced the white tape behind the case lens with 3M reflective tape, so it's even better and brighter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still would need to get the sealing plugs for the unused pin locations. Love seeing capitalism work for additional sourcing options though.
Actually... the picture shows the connectors, pins and seals.... six in all. Five out of six pins are used. Big deal about the last pin. stick the dummy pin and plug in there and call it a day.... Capitalism.... huh. Funny...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Actually... the picture shows the connectors, pins and seals.... six in all. Five out of six pins are used. Big deal about the last pin. stick the dummy pin and plug in there and call it a day.... Capitalism.... huh. Funny...
It shows wire seals. Actual connector plugs do not have a hole in them for a wire. That hole in the wire seal allows for the potential for water to seep into the connector and short the pins. Is that going to be an issue under the rear fender? Probably not but for a few cents more and knowing it is done right, it’s worth it in my book.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
54 Posts
I'm considering installing a BackOFF XP Brake Light module or similar. Do you have a harness available? Did you have pics of your installation? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I'm considering installing a BackOFF XP Brake Light module or similar. Do you have a harness available? Did you have pics of your installation? Thanks.
I do not have parts on hand at the moment but can place an order for them. Think it has been averaging about 3 weeks from when I receive payment to when you have the harness in your hands.

The back off module fits easily in the pocket under the left rear fender panel. I had plenty of room for it, the additional harness, and a couple other quick disconnect plugs. Unfortunately, I did not think about getting photos when I installed it.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
54 Posts
I do not have parts on hand at the moment but can place an order for them. Think it has been averaging about 3 weeks from when I receive payment to when you have the harness in your hands.

The back off module fits easily in the pocket under the left rear fender panel. I had plenty of room for it, the additional harness, and a couple other quick disconnect plugs. Unfortunately, I did not think about getting photos when I installed it.
Before I order, I'm researching both modulating brake light and modulating headlight to see 1) if legal in NC and VA (states I ride most) and 2) if they are distracting and confusing to other drivers. Looks like NC law allows modulating headlamps on motorcycles as long as they are a type approved by the NC Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. However, I cannot find where our Commissioner has approved any type. NC law seems to be silent on modulating brake lights. The modulating brake light seems to be more intuitive to other drivers what your intent is - braking to slow down or stop. The modulating headlight, on the other hand, seems to confuse other drivers - is there an emergency? is the motorcyclist indicating for me to proceed? is it a cop pulling me over? what is it (at night)? I am checking into it further, but does anyone know whether NC and VA allows modulating brake lights, which modulating headlights are allowed on motorcycles in NC, or if VA allows modulating headlights?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
The advice I follow regarding modulating brake lights are to keep the stock light in normal factory operation. Add additional brake lights that modulate briefly and then stay on (mine is set to flash 5 times and then stay on). The modulation catches other driver's attention and then stops to clearly indicate you are slowing/stopping. If you only modulate the factory light (without a steady state on after modulation), then you could cause confusion. Likewise, if the flasher module fails, you are left without a brake light if your only brake light is the factory location.

·
Registered
2015 CTX700, 1983 GL650
21 Posts
Interested in the wiring harness splice in connector. I installed a GIVI top case and want to add in the brake light kit. Are you still taking orders? Thank you!

Cheers,
Monica

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Interested in the wiring harness splice in connector. I installed a GIVI top case and want to add in the brake light kit. Are you still taking orders? Thank you!

Cheers,
Monica
Yes, I am still making these on an as ordered basis. I responded to your PM.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts