CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He guys I had a ctx 8 months now never smelled any gas at all I had rust in my tank so I had tbe entire system redone and flushed now I notice strong gas smell coming from breather hose on bottom by kick stand and some days raw gas and vapor comes out droplets has anyone had this problem it’s making me crazy

·
Registered
358 Posts
Someone had posted a message about a gas smell recently, after that I have noticed a gas smell while on my bike. I don't think this is a problem with the bike, but I think it must be something like an additive in the gas itself, I believe the odor I had noticed was coming from the cars around me. A short while ago, when fuel was less expensive I noticed my truck was not getting good gas mileage, so I figured I was getting "CHEAP GAS", now that the cost is higher there may be some compounds added that could cause the "gas" odor. Louie, I'm not trying to say I know what's wrong with your bike but don't spend too much money on it until you see something where gas has leaked. Sometimes when I get a certain smell in my head it takes a long time to get rid of it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone had posted a message about a gas smell recently, after that I have noticed a gas smell while on my bike. I don't think this is a problem with the bike, but I think it must be something like an additive in the gas itself, I believe the odor I had noticed was coming from the cars around me. A short while ago, when fuel was less expensive I noticed my truck was not getting good gas mileage, so I figured I was getting "CHEAP GAS", now that the cost is higher there may be some compounds added that could cause the "gas" odor. Louie, I'm not trying to say I know what's wrong with your bike but don't spend too much money on it until you see something where gas has leaked. Sometimes when I get a certain smell in my head it takes a long time to get rid of it!
I was kind of leaving it alone Honda changed my entire gas tank fuel pump fuel injectors and gas filter because I had rust in my tank the problem started happening after they did the work yesterday I actually had raw gas coming out of the breather hose and I mean it was a decent amount it tripped on the floor and took the paint off my garage floor That has never happened but ever since Honda did work that’s when I started to smell gas before that it was fine

·
Registered
649 Posts
There are two hoses that come down from the fuel tank. A fuel tray drain hose and a tank breather hose. You can verify which is which by blowing into the hoses. If it is from the tray hose on page 1-37 service manual possibly the tank was over filled or the cap was loose allowing gas to spill into the tray. The tank should only be filled up to the filler neck plate inside the tank according to the owner’s manual page 42. I believe the plate is there to keep from smashing the fuel nozzle into the plastic fuel pump housing. The picture shows the tank breather way above the fuel fill hole. I think it would be hard to push gas up and out that far from a properly filled tank.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Personal protective equipment Athletic shoe Composite material

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two hoses that come down from the fuel tank. A fuel tray drain hose and a tank breather hose. You can verify which is which by blowing into the hoses. If it is from the tray hose on page 1-37 service manual possibly the tank was over filled or the cap was loose allowing gas to spill into the tray. The tank should only be filled up to the filler neck plate inside the tank according to the owner’s manual page 42. I believe the plate is there to keep from smashing the fuel nozzle into the plastic fuel pump housing. The picture shows the tank breather way above the fuel fill hole. I think it would be hard to push gas up and out that far from a properly filled tank.
View attachment 88790 View attachment 88791
The bike was definitely not over filled and tbe gas is coming from the thicker hose which is the breather this happened to my 2020 nc750x and it needed a new gas tank and gasket I had that done already on my ctx Florida is also hot so I understand the vapor but yesterday was way to much smell and gas coming out

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you just paid to have work done on the fuel system at a Honda dealer you need to take it right back and tell them what it is doing. You paid to have it fixed. What I am puzzled about is you having so much trouble with gas tanks on your bikes. Having to put a new tank on a 2020 bike seems odd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you just paid to have work done on the fuel system at a Honda dealer you need to take it right back and tell them what it is doing. You paid to have it fixed. What I am puzzled about is you having so much trouble with gas tanks on your bikes. Having to put a new tank on a 2020 bike seems odd.
Tank was rotted from sitting a year woth fuel in it during Covid

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honda that fixed it fucked up my bike they stripped my throttle body screws and when I brought it back they said they didn’t do that and they don’t smell gas meanwhile I have videos of gas coming out these Florida mechanics are shady as fuck they think they are pros and bairly know how to change a tire

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ya that's not good. Maybe post the name of the company that did the work so others in that part of Florida can stay away. Just a heads up, the Moderators of this website might not like your use of curse words but I totally understand where you are coming from. Good luck and I hope you can find someone to get you fixed up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya that's not good. Maybe post the name of the company that did the work so others in that part of Florida can stay away. Just a heads up, the Moderators of this website might not like your use of curse words but I totally understand where you are coming from. Good luck and I hope you can find someone to get you fixed up.
Yea I rarely curse in forums I’m just frustrated paid 2000$ to get my bike fixed though I would have a brand new bike once she was done and now I’m rote back where i started in worse shape but thanks for the input

·
Registered
349 Posts
"Tank was rotted from sitting a year worth fuel in it during Covid "
IS this normal in Florida??
Mine sits for 5-6 months in the winter and the tank is fine after many years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Tank was rotted from sitting a year worth fuel in it during Covid "
IS this normal in Florida??
Mine sits for 5-6 months in the winter and the tank is fine after many years.
Do you put stabilizer in the tank or ethanol free gas ? Im thinking the humidity down here plays a huge roll in water vapor collecting inside of the tank cause this has happened 2 times to me same problem the ctx and the nc750 are pretty much the same bike they have exact same tank assembly

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm in FL, no issues with rust. I don't ride summers in FL, so I fill tank, never above overflow add stabilizer. Run engine for 10-15 minutes, then shut it down. It is garaged.

Best guess is you got some water into the tank somehow, whether bad gas or already there possibly when your bought it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in FL, no issues with rust. I don't ride summers in FL, so I fill tank, never above overflow add stabilizer. Run engine for 10-15 minutes, then shut it down. It is garaged.

Best guess is you got some water into the tank somehow, whether bad gas or already there possibly when your bought it.
That’s how I know I have a problem cause every body on here has a ctx and no gas smell ever mine stinks the garage out so bad I have to leave the door open 20 min after riding and the raw coming from the breather hose just started after I had the entire system changed so something is going on I just don’t like when the mechanic says he do t smell gas when it’s actually coming out of the hose a lot of crooks down here in the car and bike market worse than ny and I thought that was impossible lol

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
One simply thought.. are you sure the gas drip is coming from the INSIDE of the hose, and not a leak higher up and dripping down outside the hose? Just a thought since you state not just a smell, but a drip. Should not be able to drip if gas level below overflow... as you already know... so maybe they need to pull tank again, set on a bench and test it. Could be a bad "new" tank...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One simply thought.. are you sure the gas drip is coming from the INSIDE of the hose, and not a leak higher up and dripping down outside the hose? Just a thought since you state not just a smell, but a drip. Should not be able to drip if gas level below overflow... as you already know... so maybe they need to pull tank again, set on a bench and test it. Could be a bad "new" tank...
I agree 1000% I really think they didn’t install the new gasket at the time of tank set up and I read that is a must can’t use old gasket on the nc or ctx

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say that something is amiss with the repair. Take it back and show them, give them a chance to make it right. The bike may have had a tank of bad gas

I used to have a gas fume problem after a ride. Never had any buildup in breather hose, and gas cap seemed okay with sniff test. Figured it to be Florida is hot and so is the bike. I recently ran some fuel injector cleaner (23K miles) and it seemed the smell was less. I used to use Shell Premium, now I use WAWA ethanol free and smell nothing.
Top tier gas has more detergents in it to supposedly offset the lacquer that ethanol leaves but they don't say what percentage is detergents. Ethanol is also an octane booster. I know Shell Premium here in Fl. is 5% ethanol. Pure gas smells different, lighter, when pumped and burns more completely.
As dgall mentioned, the recommended fuel level is not the top of the tank but the top of the bars that keep the nozzle from going all the way in. See page 42 of owners manual.
Automotive lighting Font Parallel Elbow Diagram

1 - 19 of 19 Posts