CTX 700 Forum banner

Fuel

4K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  TLeventry 
Interesting. I never knew about this and found that the brand I use most is not on the Top Tier list. I will have to look at that and adjust my habits.
Yes, it's always best to use Top Tier whenever possible. Grocery store brands used occasionally will not cause it to immediately break down. The difference is in the added "detergents"

THE INTERWEBS" said:
TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline
TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline is the premium standard established by engine manufacturers for gasoline performance, brought about by the recognition that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements are not extensive enough to ensure robust engine cleanliness and top performance. TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline reduces engine deposits and in-use emissions, while improving engine performance and driver satisfaction. Eight of the world’s top automakers (BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi) recognize the need to raise the bar on minimum detergent requirements for the optimal engine performance.
Many times, the SAME TRUCK will deliver the SAME GAS to different branded gas stations. The only difference would be in the chemical pack that the DRIVER ADDS to the delivery. The differences come in the brand’s additives that are injected as the product is loaded.

As far as Premium, it's really (generally) only "REQUIRED" for high performance / high compression engines. Premium gasoline is LESS LIKEY to detonate. Generally, turbo equipped vehicles will require premium, because they compress the fuel making detonation more likely. You should ALWAYS burn premium in vehicles that require it.

But there is another group which may add to the confusion. Those would be "Premium RECOMMENDED" vehicles. Almost every vehicle these days is equipped with a "knock sensor". If your engine begins to detonate the fuel, the ECU will immediately adjust timing and other factors to compensate. No harm, no foul. This will happen MORE OFTEN using regular 87 octane gasoline. So, while your "premium recommended" vehicle will run just fine on "regular", it may run better, more efficiently on 89 or 91 octane fuel because it is DESIGNED to use higher octane.

Then there are vehicles that it just doesn't matter. These vehicles are DESIGNED to use 87 octane. Most motorcycle engines DO NOT HAVE knock sensors and are designed to use 87. If your 87 engine is knocking, a higher octane fuel may reduce it, but it actually points to a problem. If your engine is not knocking, higher octane fuel will do absolutely no good, and you will not even get better gas mileage. But it might make you FEEL better. :D

For most 2 wheeled enthusiasts, Top Tier 87 will give you the best performance and excellent protection. If you hear knocking, get it serviced immediately.

PS: If, like me, you insist on getting premium, consider a mid-grade. It's usually 20 cents a gallon cheaper and some (usually older) stations do not even have 3 separate underground tanks meaning you can get 91 octane for the price of 89. 89 means it's "at least" 89. ;)

JMHO

So, The Dude does not abide ethanol. :cool:
The Dude is lucky to have an ethanol free option in my vicinity. According to the PO, my just purchased CTX700ND has never had ethanol in it. I am tempted to continue in the tradition, but the ethanol free version near me is not Top Tier! :rolleyes:

Welcome, Sunflower.

I have a 2014 CTX700 DCT in [the fastest color] red. 21,000 perfect miles. The problem is not what grade of gasoline to use (I always get the lowest/cheapest). The real problem is not running out of gasoline! Normally I get 65 miles per gallon, but your 3.1 Gallon tank will barely last 150 miles if you're fighting a headwind at 75 mph. Don't ask how I know.

I strongly recommend that you get a 1-gallon auxiliary fuel tank and never leave home without it.
Mine is the Rotopax with the Rotopax mount. It sits flat atop my back trunk without leaking.
Ahem, I was told that Silver was MUCH faster than red and also that it is far more attractive.😢

I like your bags Moto. How are they attached? Do you have a build page?

I have the OEM hard saddle boxes, but I do not care for them. Whoever thought side loading was a good idea probably doesn't really understand gravity. JMHO. I have the back rest, but no luggage rack so I just ordered that so I can get a proper top case.

It's nice that some of the lower cost gasolines are now "Top Tier". That has not always been the case with Arco and Costco. (y)

Reactions: Arrgh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.