CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone replaced a front abs sensor on a 2015 CTC700ND? Is it something someone with a hobbyist level mechanic skills can do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Think I responded to your post on Facebook a few minutes ago. The service manual states you have to remove the fuel tank. If you are comfortable doing that, then it should be easy enough to do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What makes you think it is bad is it throwing a code? Unless physically damaged these rarely go bad. Are you sure it’s the problem and not one of the two ABS fuses or the air gap out of spec between it and the pulser ring. I think you can replace it yourself if necessary. I looked for the blue plug to it and it is sitting near the throttle body under the front of the tank. I can just reach up with one hand along the back of the cylinders on the left side of the bike from the bottom and grab hold of it. I think if you pulled the left tank shelter side off first you may be able to unplug it from there without removing the tank. Unless you plan to pay the dealer $100.00 an hour to change your air filter when needed this is as good a time as any to learn to pull the plastic off the tank to access the air box. Attached is a good video on pulling the side shelters for access. Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
865 Posts
What makes you think it is bad is it throwing a code? Unless physically damaged these rarely go bad. Are you sure it’s the problem and not one of the two ABS fuses or the air gap out of spec between it and the pulser ring. I think you can replace it yourself if necessary. I looked for the blue plug to it and it is sitting near the throttle body under the front of the tank. I can just reach up with one hand along the back of the cylinders on the left side of the bike from the bottom and grab hold of it. I think if you pulled the left tank shelter side off first you may be able to unplug it from there without removing the tank. Unless you plan to pay the dealer $100.00 an hour to change your air filter when needed this is as good a time as any to learn to pull the plastic off the tank to access the air box. Attached is a good video on pulling the side shelters for access. Good luck with the repair.
In the schematic, it looks like there is a bolt for the cable anchor that "may" be under the fuel tank.... if so, it is a piss poor design...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think the bike would throw a code for an abs failure. Occasionally the ABS light will stay on but then it doesn't go off until you reach between 15 and 30 mph. I have also heard that the abs light might stay on if the bike is not turned off correctly. You need to reset the system. If the abs light is blinking when bike is on 1-6 slow 1 fast = error code 61. Here is a video to reset the code on another honda bike. error code for abs failure code on honda ctx700. It may help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Based on personal experience - If you stomp on the brakes and lock up your tires, you may smell some ABS fluid. The result of hard braking on the CTX can trigger your ABS light to linger and stay on longer than expected. This issue seems to correct itself after awhile. (Several start ups and rides later) my light stayed on and on. I’d recommend checking your brake fluid, make sure it’s clean/full and wait awhile before messing with electronics because it might be nothing. Good luck

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you take it to a dealer to get the sensors replaced it will be a real hit to your wallet. I checked for sensor prices here in Ontario and now I forget the price but it was ridiculous, then add labour. Better to buy a Chiquita banana, take the little sticker off it, cover the light with it, pull the fuses and drive on as you would had you bought an none abs bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts