CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Glad to be here. On a whim, I checked to see if there were any used CTX700Ds in Craigslist. Sure enough, there was my new bike, nestled on a show floor in Onalaska, Wisconsin. "New" is relative. It has 325 miles on it. At a substantial discount off list for the bike and all the goodies, I can easily live with it. I pick the bike up next Tuesday evening. Only 175 miles between there and home.

Weather prediction: lower 40s and rain, 12 mph head wind. Gloves, indeed.

Cheers

·
Registered
433 Posts
That was a very good price and a relatively still brand new bike with all the options already added. I posted the link on here hoping that someone would be able to take advantage of the deal. Congrats from your Wisconsin neighbor.

Reactions: Cywalker

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good luck on your ride home today. If you are getting any of the weather that we have had the last two days your going to need it. Yesterday in Sioux Falls we recived 2 3/4 inches of rain driven by 40 + mph winds. It is still spitting some today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck on your ride home today. If you are getting any of the weather that we have had the last two days your going to need it. Yesterday in Sioux Falls we recived 2 3/4 inches of rain driven by 40 + mph winds. It is still spitting some today.
173 miles back from the dealer tonight. 45 degrees with rain. That's what the rain suit is for, and the liner, extra sweater, waterproof boots, etc. I think I'm getting a break on the wind. You Dakota folks have a lot of flat to get the wind going. Forecast is for 15mph from the left side (from the WSW). Kawabunga!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good luck and be safe!
Yeah, when I bought my Silverwing back in 06 it was the last week in October. I had to ride 100 miles in the cold and rain, similar to what you are going to do. I was new to motorcycling, so didn't have any cool gear. Just and open face dirtbike style helmet, a leather jacket, sneakers ,and long johns under my jeans.:eek: I was soaked down to the bone by the end. I had to pull over every now and again and sit in the car that was following me back, just to warm myself back up in the heater. Good Times:p

Reactions: Cywalker

·
Registered
191 Posts
173 miles back from the dealer tonight. 45 degrees with rain. That's what the rain suit is for, and the liner, extra sweater, waterproof boots, etc. I think I'm getting a break on the wind. You Dakota folks have a lot of flat to get the wind going. Forecast is for 15mph from the left side (from the WSW). Kawabunga!

Get some pics to post along the way !:) Good luck to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck and be safe!
Yeah, when I bought my Silverwing back in 06 it was the last week in October. I had to ride 100 miles in the cold and rain, similar to what you are going to do. I was new to motorcycling, so didn't have any cool gear. Just and open face dirtbike style helmet, a leather jacket, sneakers ,and long johns under my jeans.:eek: I was soaked down to the bone by the end. I had to pull over every now and again and sit in the car that was following me back, just to warm myself back up in the heater. Good Times:p
Yes, those were the days. If you are still shivering after an hour, you know that you were really cold. My spouse insisted on getting the Full Monty rider suit. It's got enough protection and insulation to handle temperatures down to the 30s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get some pics to post along the way !:) Good luck to you.
Well, I survived quite nicely, thank you very much. Photos weren't in the cards, as it happens. But I'll post a few pix somewhere soon. This transaction required leaving work early, and I haven't done much but ride, sleep and return to my desk/factory.

Rain was spritzy and tolerable; temperature was upper 40s, so not bad. It was decidedly weird (in a pleasant way) riding an unfamiliar big bike at 70mph through the dark on rain slicked roads. Yes, I did pucker up a few times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts