CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just curious to know if anyone has looked into any fork protectors or guards? I know some feel they are not necessary but fork seals last a lot longer if protected. They were standardd on the NT700V as shown below.

Thanks, I was thinking about these.

NT700V

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
That doesn't really do much. You can always get rubber boots, they protect better if your that concerned.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I think rubber boots are hard to clean, crack eventually and look to retro for my taste and are harder to put on.

I had a pair of fork guards on my 650 Hawk and they were taller than CeeTeex's

If I find a pair cheap I might put them on some day.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think the boots look hideous on this type of bike and considering the amount of bikes that come with the fork protection I am guessing they are effective. I saw the fork socks as well but did not care for the style. I ordered a set and will post up the outcome. They also come in a taller version but I have the fairing and do not want to run into a clearance issue.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
good info and pics CEETEEX. forum member now have a part number of an item that will fit their bikes.

·
Registered
975 Posts
This is my first bike. I'm confused. What does one need to protect the forks from?

That's a good-looking NTV!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fork protection

This is my first bike. I'm confused. What does one need to protect the forks from?

That's a good-looking NTV!
I have over 30motorcyles, only a few have had fork boots.
I have changed exactly 1 set of fork seals.
Just wipe them them clean when you wash bike or oil chain. Not a big deal.

IMHO You will get more damage to the seals when you clamped the bike on the trailer with the straps and compressed the forks.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Basically, if you do not want the option, do not spend the 19 bucks. That is what it comes down to. A lot of manufacturers take the time to protect the seals for a reason. My C14 has integrated protection in the front fender.

It is your choice, some guys like insurance with all the bells and whistles like long range towing and accessory coverage, some guys like the bare minimum and live by the hope creed because nothing bad ever happens. I hope I never need it.....

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
next time you look at your forks above the dust seal (oil seal is below that) and you see bug guts that have dried on there you know they dry quite hard. Fork tubes are precision round tubes and so are the seals needed to keep the dirt out and oil in. The seals will slide over the bugs for sure but done enough the bug parts will wear on the seals and even get into the forks. Why do you think fork oil with lots of miles on it comes out dark. it is because it gets contaminated with dirt, metal shavings from wear and whatever else got past the dust seal and grease seal. The idea of the fork protector is sound but forks are designed to last and for most riders they don't present any problems form many years and many miles. Now you know why someone came up with the idea. No one says you got to have them. Some like the way they look, some believe in them.

Now I don't wait till I wash my bike as that is not very often. But I do take a damp rag and wipe off the bug guts on the front after every long ride or every few days and the forks are part of that cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Actually, the oil comes out dark because it oxidizes just like engine oil does with use not due to actual dirt! Oil color is a false indicator of oil quality! Forks usually have a two rub seal along with a dust cap on top, the part that is actually visable. If you change out the fork oil and it was milk, it was due to worn seals that leaked in water. I have changed out two sets of fork seals from used bikes I have bought. I never needed to change any out on ones I bought new as of yet. Of all bikes I ever owned, new to antiques and all in 24-7 weather I have never worn a pair out by myself. Age and usually abuse wears out seals much faster then dirt ever will. Seals will wear eventually and is actually very easy to change out if they did. If you ride normally, they should easily last 8-10 years at a time. Only one of my bikes have those so called protectors and I believe it's purpose is for looks(reduce chrome appearence).

The so called protectors do nothing. The fork travel is much longer then their coverage height. If the fork is taken care of properly, it has an oil film on the compressable parts at all times and debris usually bump off or stick and slide up on compression. It is possible, but not often the fork can get a good nick by debris and usually doesn't hurt the seals unless there are burs. Forks usually get more abuse from the owners, no oil film on them after several rains or washes, man handling bikes, maintenance, etc. If you look at any bike that has been in the weather, you will see the tops of the forks pitting and rusting, but not the compressable parts if taken care of properly. Even in repair manuals tell you to protect the seals while installing over the tops of forks cause they are prone to corrosion.

You should change out the fork oil and check the forks for damage on occasion anyway. Like I said, they don't do much...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks we ordered a set Friday from our dealer in town sopose to be in Tuesday can't wait to get them on I appreciate you showing the picture installed and knowing they will defintly fit thanks CeeTeex!

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are welcome, remember you will need longer bolts. Did you get the taller version if you have the naked bike? I know some do not feel they do anything but if you ride in a rural area like I do they cant hurt. Mine did the job and had bugs on them yesterday. They MAY not help but they definitely DON'T hurt. I clean my bike often so it may not have been necessary but what sparked my purchase was a thread on the NC700 forum where a nick caused a seal to go bad. I do my own work as dealers locally have lost my trust and changing fork seals unnecessarily is not on my priority list. The guards along with the fairing help, most of the normal travel is covered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are welcome, remember you will need longer bolts. Did you get the taller version if you have the naked bike? I know some do not feel they do anything but if you ride in a rural area like I do they cant hurt. Mine did the job and had bugs on them yesterday. They MAY not help but they definitely DON'T hurt. I clean my bike often so it may not have been necessary but what sparked my purchase was a thread on the NC700 forum where a nick caused a seal to go bad. I do my own work as dealers locally have lost my trust and changing fork seals unnecessarily is not on my priority list. The guards along with the fairing help, most of the normal travel is covered.
Yes we got the A9641010 and yes mine is the naked one so they should be ok in length. My husband agrees with you they should help his goldwing came with protectors we clean our bikes after every ride and one thing he has showed and told me was to be sure to clean the forks real good right there so that we don't ruin the seals so I'm really glad you found these that would work for us I abosutly love this motorcycle it's so easy to ride the only thing we don't like is the chain and that's just because all of our other motorcycles have been shaft drive so we just have to do a little more than were use to and trying to clean wheel gets your arm pretty dirty LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts
I appreciate the need for these. Once you put a serious nick in a fork tube, it is toast. I wouldn't mind fork boots/gaiters. I don't mind if they are a bit retro. A lot depends on where you ride. I put gaiters on my Vstrom and I know those tubes would have been totally trashed based on some of the roads I was on. Good thing I put clear mylar protection on the front of the bike to protect the paint as well. I wish someone made a kit to protect the CTX fairing out of mylar or the thin 3m stuff.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Do you know of any fork protector's that could function as a mount point for additional forward facing lights? This may have to be a DIY project but i'd like to avoid as much DIY as I can, I had a teacher who was often quoted as saying "Why re-invent the wheel if a useable one already exists?".

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here are mine. Triumph brand. Wallacem in Ga

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Here are mine. Triumph brand. Wallacem in Ga
A pair of those in the same style in metal would be perfect or near perfect as a combination lower fork protector and bracket to mount some lights on, they would need to be thicker metal of course. :D
Too bad they don't exist.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts