CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I decided to rebuild the forks while I wait for my 2nd set of tires to show up. (As noted in other post not happy with Bridgestone T31 Battlax that wouldn't fit, so going back to the Michelin 5's). Anyways, I figure I take a picture of the forks mostly broken down for others who may have not endeavored in this area of maintenance before. Will inspect / reassemble tomorrow or Wednesday. Also included is a picture of what fork oil looks like after 24,905 miles of maybe 65% highway, 35% rural roads. Pretty dark / filthy looking. Breakdown was pretty straightforward. If you have the shop manual - this helps guide you through the process - otherwise it is straightforward. I have also happy to say Honda provided adequate clearance to disassemble the forks w/o having to remove the full fairing. I have checked yet if my torque wrench has clearance though for reassembly....

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good post. Are you planning on adding any emulators? Are you going with OEM weight oil or something different?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be using a stock configuration as the bike handles OK for my needs, based on my weight. I will be using the same oil weight as stock (10WT), but from "Maxima Racing Oils" vs "Honda." It was on sale from RevZilla when I got it. On the cartridge emulators, There was another gentleman (GonzoB) who modified the CTX forks for emulators. Attached is a link to one of his posts a few years back (Fork Cartridge Emulators Install). He did a pretty good job detailing the steps he took.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will be installing the emulators over the winter as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am going to change fork oil in the spring and keep the stock configuration, although with new springs. Hard to say yet if new springs make any improvement, but the price isn't a reason to use old springs. In my opinion the stock springs are a bit too hard and show too much sag. I probably try just a bit thinner oil, but this is still searching and testing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Maurimy, the folks who import Hyperpro here in the states, EPM Performance, were exceptionally helpful in guiding me through the choices on springs, oil, etc., for our VFR. I am not sure if you would have the same experience over there but might help reduce your research. Fork oil is more confusing than motor oil. They were able to walk through the brands, the weights, their performance characteristics etc. I guess fork oils, regardless of their nominal weights, perform different from formulary to formulary. Anyhow, I hope that it helps.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Many thanks mzflorida (maybe I buy a winter home from Florida, but I am afraid that I will meet a lot paper work before it ).

I already found out that not so many makers offer springs to CTX700. One selling those springs is Wilbers. Maybe I could use NC700X parts, but at least spacers need to be replaced. I keep on searching.

I already recognized that fork oils are more like snake oils, you never know what is inside the bottle and I need help indeed. Trying to solve things before March.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maurimy, the folks who import Hyperpro here in the states, EPM Performance, were exceptionally helpful in guiding me through the choices on springs, oil, etc., for our VFR. I am not sure if you would have the same experience over there but might help reduce your research. Fork oil is more confusing than motor oil. They were able to walk through the brands, the weights, their performance characteristics etc. I guess fork oils, regardless of their nominal weights, perform different from formulary to formulary. Anyhow, I hope that it helps.
I found "Klaus" at EPM Performance was helpful. He spent a reasonable amount of time with me to ensure my Rear Shock order I did with them was appropriate.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I found "Klaus" at EPM Performance was helpful. He spent a reasonable amount of time with me to ensure my Rear Shock order I did with them was appropriate.
Yup. The same guy helped me. His assistant helped me dial in the settings on the fully adjustable shock. Dan perhaps? Suspension is still a dark art to me. I'm not a dufus. But as much as I read and ask questions about suspension it still just does not sink in or at least stick with me. So, I really appreciated their willingness to help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I received today Wilbers springs and looks promising. Although these are progressive (as the OEM spring) the soft portion is shorter than in OEM springs and I suggest that this means less sag before the stiff portion. But I have answers only after road tests.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am still waiting for the seal set. I bought it from Ireland, the company name Nutjob. They sell original Honda parts at reasonable price. Then the question about oil.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Many thanks mzflorida (maybe I buy a winter home from Florida, but I am afraid that I will meet a lot paper work before it ).

I don't think so. We have loads of snowbirds from around the globe here in SW Florida (Lee and Collier Counties). It cannot be that tough. If you make the decision to move ahead with that, let me know. Everyone in Florida knows a realtor. They are a dime a dozen. I know two who you can trust implicitly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't think so. We have loads of snowbirds from around the globe here in SW Florida (Lee and Collier Counties). It cannot be that tough. If you make the decision to move ahead with that, let me know. Everyone in Florida knows a realtor. They are a dime a dozen. I know two who you can trust implicitly.
Snowbird? Have to confirm, you probably don't mean a bird :). Okay, I understood the meaning. Two most common places of Finnish snowbirds are Spain and Florida. People started to move to Spain after the WWII and Florida about 50 years ago. In spain there are Finnish shops, schools, churchs, doctors, newspapers, everything. I am not sure how much Finnish snowbirds have common social life in Florida, it would help in the beginning. Spain belongs to EU and settling there is simple, just find a place and move.

Finnish snowbirds in Florida 25000, in Spain same amount winter residents, plus 4500 permanent Finnish residents, mostly in the sun coast (Costa del Sol) Fuengirola, which is a small town in Southern Spain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts