CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching through the forum here, it seems like the 8" Kuryakyn #4357 with #8815 spline adapter is the primary choice for floorboards for our bike.

Any other options I should consider? Anything else worth thinking about? I have the fully faired DCT, and am 6' even with a 30" inseam. Just wondering if I should check out anything else before making my Amazon purchase...

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
You seem to have it covered! The Kuryakyn floorboards are of very good quality and you won't regret it.
The only think I'm skeptical about is that the floorboards are relatively heavy and I question the bolts that hold them on. One bolt per side and they almost seem a tad short. I haven't done it yet but I want to replace the bolts with a higher grade and maybe a touch longer so I can put on a lock washer.
Other than that, this is an excellent product.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
After searching through the forum here, it seems like the 8" Kuryakyn #4357 with #8815 spline adapter is the primary choice for floorboards for our bike.

Any other options I should consider? Anything else worth thinking about? I have the fully faired DCT, and am 6' even with a 30" inseam. Just wondering if I should check out anything else before making my Amazon purchase...

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the 8" are the preferred but I also have the mini's (bought for the passenger) and tried them in the rider's position. I eventually opted to have the 8's in the rider's position and the mini's back on the passenger's location.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts

Thanks in advance.
The Kury 8" boards are the best compromise for the CTX. 10" aftermarket boards that use the OEM mount are too long and place too much stress on the mounts. Wider boards would seriously compromise the lean angle creating serious drag issues and interfere with handling. The Kury's are relatively easy to install for most members so its a win win.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Any thoughts on the mini Kuryakyn 7579s? It looks like a few people on the forum have them and they aren't as popular, but I haven't yet seen anything that says the 8" version is best for X circumstances, and the minis are good, but what you miss out on vs the 8" is ?????

I have read a ton of threads on the Kuryakyn floor boards, but haven't seen the comparison between the regulars and the minis summed up succinctly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My boards just came in and I'm in the same boat as Duke.

I really like how much I can lean the bike now. I'm hoping not to lose a lot of angle.

Can anyone suggest the best hole to stick the bolt to start with?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Thanks. Any thoughts on the mini Kuryakyn 7579s? It looks like a few people on the forum have them and they aren't as popular, but I haven't yet seen anything that says the 8" version is best for X circumstances, and the minis are good, but what you miss out on vs the 8" is ?????

I have read a ton of threads on the Kuryakyn floor boards, but haven't seen the comparison between the regulars and the minis summed up succinctly.
The 8" boards allow much more freedom for foot placement or changing your riding position. They also support the whole foot compare to the shorter floorboards and peg. Honestly, the smaller boards aren't much different than the original pegs so there's very little incentive to add them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 8" boards allow much more freedom for foot placement or changing your riding position. They also support the whole foot compare to the shorter floorboards and peg. Honestly, the smaller boards aren't much different than the original pegs so there's very little incentive to add them.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
My boards just came in and I'm in the same boat as Duke.

I really like how much I can lean the bike now. I'm hoping not to lose a lot of angle.

Can anyone suggest the best hole to stick the bolt to start with?
Its really a matter of personal preference but most people start with the front hole to get better clearance for the rear brake pedal and shifter. Both can be adjusted if needed and there are threads on the forum on how to do this. When installing the floorboards, its best to angle them up 14 - 17 degrees. Home Depot sells an inexpensive dial type angle finder.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

I used the minis for the passenger which has great results. Keep in mind, if you go that route you'll need a different spline. That number is 8818.
I found the minis too small for my liking as a main foot board

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Its really a matter of personal preference but most people start with the front hole to get better clearance for the rear brake pedal and shifter. Both can be adjusted if needed and there are threads on the forum on how to do this. When installing the floorboards, its best to angle them up 14 - 17 degrees. Home Depot sells an inexpensive dial type angle finder.
For my set up I used the top, front hole for mounting and I used about a 6 degree slant. That wasn't by choice but it was the only fit I could use.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Just to make sure I'm following you right. By using that hole it should bring the board as far back and as high as possible, correct?
Yep, that's the most popular position, and the one I use myself.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Just to make sure I'm following you right. By using that hole it should bring the board as far back and as high as possible, correct?
It should bring it as far back and as low as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Gottcha. How's your cornering clearance?
I'll have to pass that question to someone else. Lol. I haven't been out testing that and my riding style is a bit more subdues than to test its limits.
The issue I've had though, is when I bring my feet up from a stop and they hit the bottom of the floorboards and they flip up causing an uncomfortable moment. I had to learn, quickly, how to overcome that.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The 1st top hole will bring the board as far back as it will go but keep it at the same level as the original peg. The lower holes will actually raise the board up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The 1st top hole will bring the board as far back as it will go but keep it at the same level as the original peg. The lower holes will actually raise the board up.
It's nice to know that's an option. I guess if they are dragging too much I could always raise it up a bit.

Could the CTX700 be the best touring bike ever made? It's starting to look that way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts