CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
600 miles is almost here. I am looking to change the oil and both filters, oil and clutch. I will probably use Redline 10/40. I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Heyzeus, I at at 456 since 6/13. not sure what oil I will use. Probably just get Honda for the first few times. I used Rotella T in my Hawks and VFR but that was 10-40W and the CTX is 10-30W. I will post what I do as I will be doing my own, not the dealer. He told me I would not void my warranty.

I hope we don't start an oil debate. I kind of think Oil is like politics, Everyone has an opinion and yours, if not their's, means you can't know anything. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hope we don't start an oil debate. I kind of think Oil is like politics, Everyone has an opinion and yours, if not their's, means you can't know anything. lol
what are forums for but to debate? I like to hear people's opinions. The more proof it has the better.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I think I saw somewhere else in the forum about oil needing to be 10-30W.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I read on the NC700X forum that Honda was now recommending their brand of 10W-40 and was stopping distribution of Honda 10W-30. I didn't personally research this, so I'm not sure if this is totally true or if I'm not understanding it totally, but I did pick up on the fact that many NC700X riders are using 10W-40; not sure what brand, but I assume Honda brand. Seems as though 10W-30 specification is not widely available as a motorcycle oil.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
now at 565 miles so stopped in at local Honda dealer. they had a NC700x service manual and it clearly states 10/30 or 10/40 depending on temperature range. I would say it looked some what like 40-50 degrees was about the middle. So yes, if I was riding down to say -20 degrees I better have the 10/30 but it was 93 degrees today and so you can bet it is getting 10/40. Also, no local shop (non-Honda) had 10/30 in stock. Most likely I will be doing it tomorrow. Opted not to get the Honda oil (did not want to carry 4 quarts in my lunch bag on my seat...lol)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
one more thing, About the oil filters.
Honda part number is 15410-MFJ-D01 list was 13.87

K & N filter number is KN-204 or KN-204c (chrome version) and has a nut on end to allow easier off and on with the ability to torgue it for tightness using a socket and torgue wrench (cost 13.95 from local non-honda bike shop).

Honda shop gets 10.99 for synthetic 10/40 or 6.99 for regular 10/40 oil per quart. Will take 3.6 guarts with filter change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil is oil but I like Redline. Unfortunately it is expensive. But the change intervals are long and using Redline I might do the factory recomended in stead of my normal every three thousand. For my Buell and Harley I use Mobil one V-Twin formula and it works great.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a Gilera MP3 500 ( Piaggio) and in there bike Manuel it said not to use Mobil One. Oil in the bike it will void the warranty They ( Mobil) must have really pissed off someone at Piaggio for them to put that in the Manuel.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm just guessing but some manufacturers do not recommend using synthetics in certain models due to the clutches slipping. There may also be an issue with the chemical make up of Mobil 1 that may be causing an issue.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a Gilera MP3 500 ( Piaggio) and in there bike Manuel it said not to use Mobil One. Oil in the bike it will void the warranty They ( Mobil) must have really pissed off someone at Piaggio for them to put that in the Manuel.
I wonder whether that may have been addressing Mobil 1 used for cars and trucks, rather than the Mobil 1 4T which does have the proper formulation for clutch use.

Jack

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Jeff, what is the best oil filter to buy? I know they're all different quality wise. And what oil filter wrench do you use?
I strictly use Honda OEM filters since I have a DCT and have to purchase the transmission filter from the dealer anyways. I find the dealers prices are actually very competitive with Walmart (0.35 cents). I have 2 wrenches that work well for me. Honda sells a metal socket type wrench with their filter sold as a kit. It fits their filter perfectly. The second wrench I use for just about everything and does a good job on the OEM filter is made by Craftsman. Been using it for years. Sears.com

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
IMHO I've found that the shortest and surest way to success is to read and follow the instructions. The 2014 CTX700 manual says 10W-30, period. There is no alternate listed for different temp ranges.

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
10W-40 is now approved for use in the CTX and virtually every Honda dealer will use the same. Very few motorcycles use 10W-30 and dealers will not stock it in bulk. Hotter climes require a slightly heavier oil and the US predominately has hotter climes for most of the year. The NC700X (exact same drive train) calls for 10W-40.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts