CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends! I finally made it. Been looking at these for a year and finally picked one up yesterday. Got a 2015 manual with OEM bags and tall windshield. Been riding about 15 years, started on a Honda Reflex and loved it but wanted a bigger bike and decided to try a cruiser. I moved to a VLX600 but never quite settled into it. The CTX700 is nearly the perfect blend of the two bikes. My only complaint is the foot pegs - and only because I seem to be prone to muscle spasms in my back. I saw the post about installing mid-position pegs but I’m curious if anyone has tried long-ish floorboards. Or any other ideas for a way to be able to shift my feet back a little while riding?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

These Kuryakyn floorboards are very popular (part numbers in first post):

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
howdy
i had similar spasms of the back with the original pegs and seat. i solved the problems with the kuryakin floorboards and more importantly with corbin aftermarket seat which lifts me a bit but more, it supports me just back of the hip which seems to allow the jolts and bumps to go through a slight curve of the back instead of straight up the spine. it may seem counter intuitive but really works for me. i can now run a full tank of fuel without having to stop and stand up.

ken

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome!(y) As you may know, Honda changed the seat contour in'15, moving the rear support of the rider portion a bit forward, likely to better accommodate shorter inseams. That said, there have also been suggestions that during those early years (14 & 15), some dealers who were aware of the situation, may have swapped seats on new bike purchases in order to better fit their buyer, so different combinations are possible.
Depending on one's inseam, one or the other will likely be more comfortable by changing the seat to peg distance. The seats are nearly identical until you compare them side by side or measure the rider area, from the front to the passenger area.
I also recommend T-Rex luggage guards w/OEM bags;), lots of info here on just about everything CTX700.
ENJOY & Stay well!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your new bike and this forum. What type of windshield did you get? While there are many who advocate for several types of aftermarket custom seats, ride the bike for a while before making any changes to the seat as there are quite a few of us who find the original seat quite comfortable. Your height, inseam and size can affect how comfortable you feel. Many have added the Kuryakin floorboards any it sounds as if you may enjoy them. From there, the sky is the limit as to what you can add, or you can just ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your new bike and this forum. What type of windshield did you get? While there are many who advocate for several types of aftermarket custom seats, ride the bike for a while before making any changes to the seat as there are quite a few of us who find the original seat quite comfortable. Your height, inseam and size can affect how comfortable you feel. Many have added the Kuryakin floorboards any it sounds as if you may enjoy them. From there, the sky is the limit as to what you can add, or you can just ride and enjoy.
Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions and I think I’ll try the floorboards first. Hopefully that’ll do the trick. At any rate I’ll at least ride the summer before making any other changes.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!(y) As you may know, Honda changed the seat contour in'15, moving the rear support of the rider portion a bit forward, likely to better accommodate shorter inseams. That said, there have also been suggestions that during those early years (14 & 15), some dealers who were aware of the situation, may have swapped seats on new bike purchases in order to better fit their buyer, so different combinations are possible.
Depending on one's inseam, one or the other will likely be more comfortable by changing the seat to peg distance. The seats are nearly identical until you compare them side by side or measure the rider area, from the front to the passenger area.
I also recommend T-Rex luggage guards w/OEM bags;), lots of info here on just about everything CTX700.
ENJOY & Stay well!
Thanks! I did not know that about the OEM seats. I did notice the rear support was right against my tailbone - another issue I’m hoping the floorboards will resolve. If not, I may look into the Corbin seats. Seems to be a lot of good feedback on them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks! I did not know that about the OEM seats. I did notice the rear support was right against my tailbone - another issue I’m hoping the floorboards will resolve. If not, I may look into the Corbin seats. Seems to be a lot of good feedback on them.
Like others here, I was able to purchase a slightly used '14 seat from a forum member, which I am pleased with, (no more pressure on my tailbone). Some prefer a '15 (or later) seat due to shorter inseams.
Aftermarket & custom seats can be pricey, so research the options...some here swear by their "made to order" Seth Lamm seats...Corbins can also be love it or not. Take your time & good luck.;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
howdy, i didn't notice where you are. i'm in eastern washington state and have a '14 seat that i took a little padding out of the tailbone area which helped. it's for sale, but if it would have to be shipped, it's pretty costly.
ken

·
Registered
784 Posts
Some like the Corbin, others like another product. Check out the seat alternatives.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
howdy, i didn't notice where you are. i'm in eastern washington state and have a '14 seat that i took a little padding out of the tailbone area which helped. it's for sale, but if it would have to be shipped, it's pretty costly.
ken
I appreciate the offer but I’m just about on the other side of the country. I did wonder if some adjustments to the padding would help. How did it do for you after you took some of the foam out?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
howdy, it helped a lot. gordon helped me take the cover off the seat and using an electrified bread knife we took a little foam out where i though it might help and put the cover back on. you could also add some more padding and do the same. it's an easy adjustment to make though i'd reccomend riding quite a bit first to see where you might want to adjust it.
ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts