CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, JDL here. I have just joined this forum about 5 minutes ago.

I currently ride a Majesty 400 which I really enjoy. Last week I put a deposit down on a new CTX 700 the Automatic version with ABS brakes. The deposit is on the Naked version. I really like the looks of the Naked version but also like the way the Faired one looks. I am soliciting thoughts on which one I would be better off with. I live in Florida so weather is not an issue. If anything the naked version is probably better because it is cooler in the Florida heat. I plan on keeping the Yamaha scooter and that is faired. I do not do a great deal of highway driving. only jump on 95 once in a while. I will be taking delivery in about two weeks but could change to fairing version if I decide to.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...JDL

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Since you still have your scooter, the naked one may be a change of pace. Style is in the eyes of the beholder...I think. But think of what you like and dislike about the scooter and see if the CTX naked version fills some of that. But if your likes mean you will prefer the same likes on the CTX then the one closer to the scooter features is the one you should get. After all if the CTS did everything your scooter did, would you need it and the extra costs that go with owning 2 bikes.

I have had mostly naked bikes but like a windshield in hot summer and cold winter and the rest of the time naked is great. Easy on and off is a must.

If you can wait and sit and paw a little on the fairing version you might change your mind. The standard fairing windshield is pretty low and might only block your chest where the high optional screen will be more like your scooter I would think. I don't think it will add much weight as plastic is light. Good luck with either choice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you're not sure, go naked.

IMO you need to have a specific reason to go for the fairing version.

naked will give you smooth (& cooling) airflow, looks nicer too (IMO again).

fairing will protect your body (from cold, spray etc.) but probably more wind roar or turbulence, nobody knows what effect the high screen will have. My guess is it'll be better for some and worse for others ... !

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm going by memory, because I can't find it now, so I can't say for sure, but I believe the weight difference between the 700 and the 700N is around fourteen pounds. One thing I remember for sure is that the weight difference between the two styles is less than the weight difference between the manual and the DCT/ABS. In other words, a naked D weighs more than the fairing manual; the latter is 494 lbs. I remember that last figure, because that's the one I'm getting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go naked, Go Red,

And get a larger shield one that is adjustable up and down with tilt at bottom and top.

like the Madstad, as they are the BEST, at smoothing out the air, and reducing the wind noise to practically nothing.

I have them on three of my bikes and they are Awesome!!

You will be able to hear the engine and your surroundings much better, instead of hearing the loud wind noise.

Oh yea, and the shield is removable in less than two minutes

Or it can be dropped all the way down and tilted back for more wing in the hot summer.

Or tilted forward, and raised up for more protection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go naked, Go Red,

And get a larger shield one that is adjustable up and down with tilt at bottom and top.

like the Madstad, as they are the BEST, at smoothing out the air, and reducing the wind noise to practically nothing.

You will be able to hear the engine and your surroundings much better, instead of hearing the loud wind noise.

Or it can be dropped all the way down and tilted back for more wing in the hot summer.

Very good advice. I checked out the Madstad on line and read the review and it seems like a wonderful alternative. However, I am not sure it will fit the CTX 700??? I sent them an email asking the question. Do you know if it will fit?

Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go naked, Go Red,

Very good advice. I checked out the Madstad on line and read the review and it seems like a wonderful alternative. However, I am not sure it will fit the CTX 700??? I sent them an email asking the question. Do you know if it will fit?

Thanks for your feedback

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
JDL, from my experience over the years, bikes with fairings get aftermarket windshields quicker as makers only have to fit what is already there. My VFR had a full fairing and there were may options available for it. I think the fairing model will quickly get the Honda version and other makers will follow. The naked one has a mounting issue as there is not much around the headlight to bolt to and that may be a stumbling block for getting something quick. If you don't like wind at 60-70 miles an hour hitting you and that is most of your riding then my recommendations would be to get the fairing model. No double the shape below the windshield will direct more air around you body and mid section.

The NC700X has some alternatives but think, it already had a small windshield. There were mounting positions already there. It's been on the market for a couple of years already. How long do you want to wait?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just spoke to Madstad engineering and they are in the process of designing a windscreen for the CTX 700 which should be ready in about a week or two. This is the direction I am going to go with. The only concern I had was installing the windscreen as I am not mechanically inclined. Chris, at Madstad assured me that it is delivered with all the required tools and it is not difficult to install. He equated it to a Ikea like project. So once I get the Motorcycle in a week or so the windscreen will, hopefully not be to far behind.

JDL

·
Registered
216 Posts
FWIW, I am going with the fairing for my own personal comfort. Even though I too live in Florida, when the temps drop below 70 I whine, when it drops below 60 I whine more, at 50 I panic and in the 40's (which I know is rare, but it does happen) I get stiff and just plain ornery. I can handle the heat way more than I can handle the chill, but I ride no matter what the weather, wind, rain, excessive heat and yes, begrudgingly the cold. I hope the fairing will help with that.

Bottom line you must get what feels best to you. Have fun & Happy Trails

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I just spoke to Madstad engineering and they are in the process of designing a windscreen for the CTX 700 which should be ready in about a week or two. This is the direction I am going to go with. The only concern I had was installing the windscreen as I am not mechanically inclined. Chris, at Madstad assured me that it is delivered with all the required tools and it is not difficult to install. He equated it to a Ikea like project. So once I get the Motorcycle in a week or so the windscreen will, hopefully not be to far behind.

JDL
JDL, whenever you get the final retail item start a new thread and post pictures of it (or picture of picture) or link to it on their side. The mounting is of real interest to me. I may replace my F15 then. thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill, they sent me a link today of pictures of what they have developed so far for the CTX 700. Here it is the link:
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.10420/.f

Cody of Engineering at Madstad has told me in multiple emails that they are still refining but that it should be completed next week.

Below is his latest email to me. Hope it helps and when I get my Bike and the windscreen mounted I will post pictures....JDL

"Kind of hard to get around with the bike being naked also difficult to mount to. I am refining the brackets and windshield and then I will just be waiting on feedback.

It is not too involved to install. It may be best to have a second person just to help hold things however it's not completely necessary. All you need is an allen key, and a phillips screw driver to install.

This particular system mounts on the handlebar mounts, So you have to remove those two clamps, and replace the bolts with longer bolts and spacers, meaning that your handle bars with come loose and rotate down ( this is where a second person comes in handy. Or you can put a towel over the tank fairing and rest the bars on the tank while you install our bracket.

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to take it to the dealer unless you are absolutely uncomfortable with disassembling those clamps."

Thanks,

cody.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
JDL, thanks for link. I did look it over. you go any idea of the cost of one?

I had not thought about a bracket like that mounted to the bar clamps. The prototype bracket could be cut down some to make it more appealing and if they used 4 stud bolts to replace the 4 handlebar bolts then the stud part sticking up could mean the windshield could be taken off easily without the handlebars coming loose again. You could put cap nuts over the studs when shield is off. If the use straight through bolts then each time you removed it the bars would drop. A treaded rod with nuts could work if tooling a stud was not practical.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I sent Cody an email asking about the faring model. He said that I'd have to send them a stock screen, and they would have to look at it to see if they could build one for it.

Since reviews have been so positive on the effectiveness of Madstad screens, I've opted to wait on a tall screen and not opt for the tall OEM screen at this point. If they can build one that is wider than the OEM and one where they can use the same techniques as they use for naked bikes, then I would pay a little more for a screen that actually works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bill,

They told me cost was about $280.00. Also they are looking for feedback as they finalize the design so send them your thoughts as articulated above.

JDL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just received an Email from Cody at Madstad who informed me that development for the windscreen is complete and it now in the testing stage. Will let everyone know when testing stage is complete and they are ready for shipping.

JDL

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
all good info JDL. I looked at pictures and will keep it in mind. The final bracketing is where most the costs will be for them so 280.00 puts it within reason. It could also serve as a place to mount gps or cell phone holders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all! I am new to this forum (and forums in general!) and have enjoyed reading the very informative posts from all of you.
I would like to offer my 10 cents worth on the Madstad windscreen. I am anxiously waiting on some windscreen options for my black CTX700N DCT, but I have to say, this one will definitely not be one of them. I don't wish to offend, but frankly, that thing is beyond fugly! Bill Noroville's F15 windscreen looks awesome and multiple people at my local Honda dealership said the same thing when I showed them the pics he posted here in the forum. Even better, it's a very inexpensive option. I checked on the price of a new F15 screen and it was only $104-and-change directly from National Cycle. That's sure a lot better than $200+! Hopefully some better options will show up soon, or no doubt it will be "Norovilleshield city" for me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer call today and my bike has arrived. I am picking up tomorrow afternoon! So I will have a chance to ride it without the windscreen and then decide if I really need it or not. Will report back one I have picked up the bike and had some time to cruise.

JDL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts