CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching the forum and am exhausted looking for the answer so I thought I would just straight out ask: anyone want to share their opinion on the best exhaust to replace OEM? I have the OEM and a shorty that came with the bike when I bought it. The OEM works fine, it just seems a bit fat. I put the shorty on, and it sounds nice but not as rich and throaty as I would like. I don’t need loud as much. Looking to learn from those who are happy with their exhausts; please say why and send pics!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been searching the forum and am exhausted looking for the answer so I thought I would just straight out ask: anyone want to share their opinion on the best exhaust to replace OEM? I have the OEM and a shorty that came with the bike when I bought it. The OEM works fine, it just seems a bit fat. I put the shorty on, and it sounds nice but not as rich and throaty as I would like. I don’t need loud as much. Looking to learn from those who are happy with their exhausts; please say why and send pics!
Hi..your best bet is search ctx700 youtube because there are several exhaust with sound samples there. I personally have koffmans exhaust and am satisfied. You have the ability to remove two sections of baffles to adjust the sound how you like. As it comes out the box it's not loud but gives it a nice growl. Good luck and happy riding.

·
Registered
2014 manual, naked version,Corbin, Bodis exhaust,factory bags, MRA windscreen, center stand
85 Posts
I have the Bodis muffler. It is slightly louder than factory, but in no way offensive. Also it eliminates that "thermos bottle" look of the factory muffler. I have had it on my bike for 10k miles and it has not increased in noise. It is however probably the most expensive alternative. But it looks like it belongs and isn't a hacked on piece as some do. You tube has videos where you can hear it.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: GeeHaw

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Bodis muffler. It is slightly louder than factory, but in no way offensive. Also it eliminates that "thermos bottle" look of the factory muffler. I have had it on my bike for 10k miles and it has not increased in noise. It is however probably the most expensive alternative. But it looks like it belongs and isn't a hacked on piece as some do. You tube has videos where you can hear it. View attachment 89602 View attachment 89602
Nice look and definitely better looking than OEM!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YouTube was a great resource! Thanks Rvmadness. Thought I saw a member with a KO muffler and homemade heat shield that was also a nice, clean look. I also thought I saw a member who had a long chrome muffler wrapped with heat tape that was pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any sound bites for the KO or for the long-chrome exhausts on YouTube...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with a KO muffler and "S" pipe I found on Ebay. I made my own heat shield. Later I had the S-pipe tig welded to the KO muffler left the heat shield off, and I'm thinking of wrapping the S-pipe.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you like the sound from your KO? There was a video of one on a different bike, so it was hard for me to judge what it might be like installed on the CTX.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine looked this like and has a low grumble on start and isnt too loud but is much louder than the stock

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has a nice low rumble just a little louder than stock. It does sound good going through the gears. I chose this one because of the size and looks. I tried others but they looked dinky on the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I removed the OEM, and liked the sound ALOT. So I went down to our local automotive store and bought this slip on for about $17 usd. It goes well with the colour and sounds amazing. I am debating going with a longer pipe, but overall pretty happy.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
It sounds like you have removed the muffler. Not near as loud as straight pipes since the bike has a catalytic converter. Just take the muffler off and go for a ride if you want to see for yourself.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I put a Coffman on...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went with a KO muffler and "S" pipe I found on Ebay. I made my own heat shield. Later I had the S-pipe tig welded to the KO muffler left the heat shield off, and I'm thinking of wrapping the S-pipe. View attachment 89612
Can you provide a link to this muffler? I am leaning toward a KO. And I loved the homemade heat shield (found the original pic on this forum). Looked great!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have tried about 4 or 5 exhausts so far. This is the one I like the most at this point. Loud enough to hear what gear you are in, and those around you know you are there.. but not obnoxiously loud.

I also tried the "Radiant" sold on Amazon and Ebay, but that little tip stuck on the end of the pipe looks terrible IMHO. Plus it's a little too loud for my tastes.

This Mid-Pipe: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4PNXWC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Favorite muffler so far...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tried Delkevic (below - Nice rumble. Still considering on that one)

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Tried this one. (below) Looked BAD ASS! But WAYYYY to loud. Geeze. Really obnoxious. Too bad.

Tried this one (below). Cheap, about $25 on Amazon. A little loud. Ok really fing loud lol. But looked a little anemic. Not too bad with the mid-pipe I have though.

I am trying these next two this weekend:

This one, delivered today, will not use the mid-pipe. You have to order two, but if it works like I hope, I can always sell the other one.

This one also will not use the mid-pipe. About $50 from Amazon. It will be loud because it has only very small baffles, but puts the sound a bit further behind you, so may be acceptable...

·
Registered
43 Posts
This one was a bust. Actually sounds amazing, but it is heavy and would be a bit of a challenge to rig up some supports for it. I would need some kind of mid-pipe as well. This one bolts on with shims but doesn't come out at a great angle, so I would want to make it more parallel with the body. Too tired to work on it lol.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Reactions: huklbery
1 - 20 of 22 Posts