CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There must be an exhaust system to fit the Honda CTX700? A nice Akrapovic to bring out the purr of the Honda engine perhaps?

The Honda NC700 sounds awesome (they share the same engine? please correct me if i'm wrong!)

By the way I have no issues with the standard exhaust, but options are always nice. :)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
If you want another exhaust I think you could start with an NC700X setup and take the pieces to a muffler shop and say, make it fit. I just don't see one coming down the road anytime soon or maybe ever. the NC700x has a 2 year head start on accessories. my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Agreed! The muffler is certainly a one off product. I've heard rumors of Honda intending on releasing a whole line of new models based on the CTX here in the US. The 1300 is a clear indication this may be true. If it is, we may get to see the aftermarket playing catch up on accessories soon. The NC700X is extremely popular both here and abroad so naturally would spawn an aftermarket. Have to just wait and be patient or build your own.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've never understood the concept of making a bike or car louder. The purpose of a vehicle is to provide transportation. It is not supposed to upset the neighbors with unwelcome noises.

I understand folks who want more air flow to increase performance. But folks who want more performance would get a sport bike instead of a CTX700.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've never understood the concept of making a bike or car louder. The purpose of a vehicle is to provide transportation. It is not supposed to upset the neighbors with unwelcome noises.

I understand folks who want more air flow to increase performance. But folks who want more performance would get a sport bike instead of a CTX700.
I agree in general with your philosophy on noise, and the nuisance of it, but I also think, especially with respect to those who have a standard-shift model motorcycle, that some exhaust noise would be useful and even necessary for more smooth operation; at least for a sophomore rider like myself.

When I can hear how fast the engine is turning, I shift more seamlessly; have more awareness of what's going on around me, and can accelerate quicker without making abrupt shifts. When I can't hear the RPM; e.g. I'm behind a Harley, loud truck, have the stock windshield mounted at highway speeds, or in high winds; I'm a much worse, clumsier rider.

I totally agree that loud pipes or loud anything has no place in our public spaces and that these laws deserve enforcement but never are enforced. However, I think that there should be enough noise that the rider can not only see but hear the RPM; because there is often traffic situations where I can't look at the dash, and the bike is so smooth, one can't tell by vibration whether he or she is turning 2K RPM or 5K just by feel. At least I can't.

So my personal complaint is not the tone of the exhaust, but the volume. I don't want loud pipes, but I'd like enough noise to know what the drive train is doing in most situations. Currently, since I bought a tall windshield, I can hear most of the time but still around 15% of the time, I can't.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
There are several brands of slip on exhaust systems made for the NC700 that might fit. There are several factors to consider. The attachment bracket has to be able to adjust or made to fit. Whether to keep the existing heat shield is another. Aesthetics would certainly play a role for me so size would be a factor. Back pressure should not be an issue since the NC700 uses the same engine. Cost would be a huge factor as well. Most of these systems run $500+.

·
Registered
329 Posts
its only 670cc parallel twin ...

Don't waste money on this: won't make CTX700 faster, nor help in any significant way. Spend money on ANYTHING ELSE for your CTX. It just ain't big enough to make loud. Do other mods like seat, kuryakyn Bluetooth handlebar speakers ("sound of chrome" black color), or Bluetooth stereo system for your helmet. Your money better spent on factory saddlebags then exhaust pipe bro.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed! However, on a purely aesthetic level, I think that the exhaust would look better if it were black and matched the rest of the bike. I had been thinking that when I get mine, it may be worth the $200 or so to get it ceramically coated in black. I did this on a Triumph Bonneville I used to have on both the header and exhaust and it looked fantastic, held up great, and keeps it cooler (to the point that you can touch it while it's running for a while without burning your hand).

By thw way, have you installed those Kuryakan speakers? I was just wondering if you could hear them when riding on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts