1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 CTX700DCT, ABS Naked
  • See video post
  • sensor?

bike has 6500 miles, never had one issue with it starting or anything else. Rode it two days ago...now it wont start.
Please see YouTube video here:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a question. Is your kill switch off when you first turn your key? The reason I ask is that I think I hear your fuel pump pressurizing the lines while the kill switch is off. Not sure if that is what I'm hearing or if it is something else. Fuel pump running when the kill switch circuit is open does not make sense to me. Otherwise, check your battery for voltage. If the battery is good, test your starter relay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, kill switch is off when i turn key. After I turn key I hit the switch on, thats when we hear the pump. Just weird because it was fine 2 days ago. So the lights on my instrument panel, they don't indicate a specific issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just listened to my video again. I have a small fan running in my garage, thats the "white" noise you are hearing.

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Don't know how old your battery is or how it has been maintained, But highly likely: you need a new one. Personally, I would not try a jump start.(I went with a oem Yuasa.);) Best to put any new battery on a low amp automatic charger before installation.

(footnote, not battery related; as Honda says: w/DCT, switch to neutral before engine shut off)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, kill switch is off when i turn key. After I turn key I hit the switch on, thats when we hear the pump. Just weird because it was fine 2 days ago. So the lights on my instrument panel, they don't indicate a specific issue?
No. It's a normal routine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
About a month ago we got out to ride, the bikes started ok, we rode to station to get fuel, our DCT would not start, it sounded much like yours. We asked around for a jump, none available, after maybe 10 minutes of waiting we tried and it started. We rode for about a half hour, staying close to home, bought a new battery 2 days later. I knew the battery was 6 years old, I knew it was time to end the misery. You can get a good idea about bike and car batteries with a Volt meter set to DC, a good automotive battery will read about 12.5 volts.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You can also get a small rapid charge battery pack; small, compact and apparently they work great for jumping. I have one, but have not had occastion to use it (yet).

·
Registered
7 Posts
All this wheel spinning.... Check the battery voltage with everything off. Then check it while you are trying to start. With the seat off, this would take less than a minute to do. You probably should have at least 12.1 to 12.2 volts at resting, and not below 10.5 while trying to start. Lastly - how old is the battery? Please report back.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a 4 channel stereo setup with subwoofer attached to my computer. As soon as you turn the key on I can hear something running triggered by you turning the key on and it is not the fuel pump. The fuel pump will not run while the kill switch is in the off position. When you put the kill switch to the on position I can hear the fuel pump cycle to build pressure then the sound of it disappears as usual yet the sound of something else running continues to the end of the video. One possibility is that the bike is truly not completely in neutral although the light indicates so and the shift motor is spinning trying to get it into neutral and that is the sound you hear as soon as you turn the key on. The shift motor is located behind the left foot peg and should not be running on startup. Always start your diagnosis with a known good fully charged and load tested battery before trying to diagnose these types of problems. Rock the bike back and forth violently to shake the transmission while manipulating the + and – paddle switches to try to get the shift motor to reset the transmission to the start or neutral position.

The owner’s manual says that the kill switch is normally kept in the on position and turned off in an emergency situation. I never use the kill switch. If you shut the bike off using the kill switch before putting it into neutral when you shut it off you are shutting the bike off in gear. As soon as you turn the key on the computer commands the transmission to reset the transmission to the starting or neutral position. If the battery is weak the shift motor without the help of the alternator can’t drag the gears into the neutral position and the bike will not start. Just one of many possibilities.
How to test a motorcycle battery - RevZilla

·
Registered
546 Posts
Example of a DCT that wont shift but can be used to reset the transmission. Hold the front brake and manipulate the shift paddles. Holding the front brake may let the computer know through the ABS system that it is safe to shift the transmission without the bike taking off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 CTX700DCT, ABS Naked
  • See video post
  • sensor?

bike has 6500 miles, never had one issue with it starting or anything else. Rode it two days ago...now it wont start.
Please see YouTube video here:
My bike had full power with lights and all things turning over as normal. The Kill switch was not activated. However, it would not start.

I pulled the seat and check the wiring to the battery. There is a huge wiring harness. There was a tiny wire that was broken. I used a tiny wire as a temp jumper to connect the two ends.

My bike immediately started without a problem. Apparently, this is the one small wire that supplied the power to start. I purchased a small wire and soldered the connection.

I placed a piece of foam in the area to act as a buffer from the wiring harness and any part. For two years now there have not been any issues.

Good luck.

Hugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
This harness goes to the front via an opening near the battery. There are about 20 wires in the group. Super small.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts