CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI all, My 700n is starting to growl a little in top gear at and over 70 Km/h and the clutch lever pulsates when the slack is taken up. The clutch has a clicking noise when its idling but goes when the clutch lever is engaged. Does anyone else have the same problem and is it worth worrying about. Seems strange for a honda to have the above.adrian (done 1500 Kms)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Most bikes with clutches rattle more when in neutral and clutch lever not pulled. Be sure you have the specified slack in the cable. too tight will cause your clutch to slip and get hot and warp. always let it out quickly once under way.

70km is only 43.49 miles per hour. sounds like you are kind of lugging it. The owners manual sets shift points too low in my experience and I do not go by them.

I only get into 6th gear around 55-60mph (about 88.5 km). In the 3 lower gears (1,2,3) I ride on flat roads in the 3-4k rpm range. When I get in taller gears (4,5,6) I keep it in the 4-5k rpm range minimum as it is harder for the engine to work at those speeds.

At 900 miles your clutch should be broken in. Check oil level too as clutch runs in oil.

Reactions: vulcan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Adrian, i would take it back to the dealer and ask if this is normal for this bike, does not sound normal to me. Dry clutches rattle, wet ones are usually quiet. I have a thread asking about gear noise and another guy mentioned his has a whine also????

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Adrian, i would take it back to the dealer and ask if this is normal for this bike, does not sound normal to me. Dry clutches rattle, wet ones are usually quiet. I have a thread asking about gear noise and another guy mentioned his has a whine also????

yes, dry clutches really rattle but wet clutches do to and every clutch sounds different when engaged vs out and that changes as the engine warms up some or after a hard ride. Every bike made has a unique sound and sounds when idling and running at different rpms.

If not sure, the dealer should always be asked. In most cases they will tell you it is normal. You get a 1 year warranty. Keep the water, oil and chain up where they are supposed to be and the noises will be pretty much uniform from about 700 miles on... till maybe 20K. Remember cars have noise shielding so you don't hear much. Bikes have almost none and windshields tend to make the motor more noticeable because it muffles out the wind.

I'm pretty sure you bike is fine. Besides if it breaks in the first year it gets fixed for free. Ride the **** out of it for 12 months then be amazed how good it stayed together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bill, i have owned 51 bikes most with wet clutches those that rattled had some problem. I have owned some of the same bikes on your list and none of them had noisy clutches. I have 6 bikes right now all with wet clutches and all are quiet.

A wet clutch that rattles has one or more of these problems a basket that is cracked or broken, a bad bearing or bushing, fiber plates with the tabs worn bad, a week spring or 2 or warped metal plates or lack of oil. If all is well it will be quiet.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Bill, i have owned 51 bikes most with wet clutches those that rattled had some problem. I have owned some of the same bikes on your list and none of them had noisy clutches. I have 6 bikes right now all with wet clutches and all are quiet.

A wet clutch that rattles has one or more of these problems a basket that is cracked or broken, a bad bearing or bushing, fiber plates with the tabs worn bad, a week spring or 2 or warped metal plates or lack of oil. If all is well it will be quiet.

Wow 51 bikes. I think you are ahead of me by about 15. I agree with what you say Drifter. All you say, are and can be clutch problems if left alone.

So maybe what we are talking about is not really a rattle but a different sound that was easy to call a rattle for lack of a better word.

My new CTX makes a different sound when the clutch is in or out (maybe not a rattle but this thread started out as a new bike with a rattle). I am not tone deft and every engine sounds differently. It is what is normal is the question.

Most of my bikes I have owned were used and had lots of miles. I never bought a bike with a slipping clutch. They all sounded differently with clutch in or out (I call it a rattle but just maybe "a different sound" is ok for discussion). I have yet to replaced a clutch in all these years. I have replace cam chain tensioners. You would think they would have those things bullet proof by now.

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bill, i would agree that this should be a non issue in 2013....but as you said and others there is a noise that appears to be clutch related. I was reading another mag a couple of days ago of a test on the first and second year dct versions of the VFR 1200 bikes, it seems the second year Honda fixed the noise and clunking on that bike. Why they did not transfer that experience to the 700....who knows, 2015 maybe?

Some times noises from cam chains, primary chains, balancer chains or other sounds can seem to be coming from the clutch area of a bike and make one think there is a problem when in reality their is none its just how that engine sounds, all engines have unique sounds sometime the same engine in diff. bikes will sound somewhat different. The more miles an engine has the more noises will be heard due to wear of chains and gears etc. not to worry modern motorcycle engines last for many thousands of miles. That cant be said of old British and American iron!! Been there done that. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a new 2014 CTX700N and I get what sounds like the engine knocking after a short warmup. It is not there when starting cold. I took it back to the shop for a listen. The guy said he was putting the same bike together for another customer and would tell me what he finds, but his initial answer was that he thought that was a common noise. He took out a DCT and it did not make the same noise, so I'm awaiting his answer. I will be suspicious if he says it's normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts