CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I tried everything I could find in US and abroad for our bike, and now I am jumping into other versions, namely the NC700X.

Does anyone think these Givi engine guards designed for the NC700X might work on CTX700N?

GIVI TN1111 Engine Guard - Honda NC700X

I want something to attach foot rests too on longer rides, like Sac to LA, or Sac to Portland.

Or, can anybody SEE something that would simply bolt on just as easy to the outer frame members? I don't have an engineering mind, so all the bars and engine block look the same to me.

If that not work, any other bright ideas? Yes, I am trying to turn my new CTX700ND into my old 2005 VTX1800C, complete with engine guards and Kuryakyn foot pegs :rolleyes:

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Banned
463 Posts
One of these days someone will come out with a version for the CTX.
Patience brutha.
Don't drop it in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Anything can be fabricated using metal, drill and welder. Maybe take it to a welding shop or old time muffler shop. Those type of people have probably made lots of stuff in their time that solved some ones desires. Why wait on Honda?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm with Bill on this one also. You can have just about anything fabricated to fit the CTX. Not sure its practical if your just looking to extend the front foot pegs forward. The existing foot pegs are about as far forward as your going to get on this bike. Anything farther and you run the risk of interfering with the front wheel turning angle rotation. This is a medium sized bike so there's not much room to play with when it comes to extending the foot further. Cobraguy came up with an innovative way to add footboards to his CTX and I have been toying with some ideas as well. The problem is there is no frame member in the center lower section of the frame. The CTX uses the engine as part of the framework structure and the existing footpeg brackets are not matching so require a different fabrication for each to fit. Plus you have to deal with the trans. filter access cover if you own the DCT version. Its complicated to say the least. I'm leaning towards doing something similar to the DN-01 footboard eventually. Still in the design phase at this time and costs are prohibited if I want to use the OEM DN-01 footboard. Something similar to Cobraguys system could easily be adapted to work.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Forgot about engine as stressed member. Your right about the front wheel turn radius perhaps posing a problem with my big size 14's hanging out there spread eagle. For the Interstate looooooong straight away though, it might not be an issue.

I have the large Kury floorboards and LOVE THEM. I rarely scrape cornering.

I was looking at the big pipes connecting in the front on the same location on both sides. It would be easy for a machinist to make a clamp for each side sturdy enough to attach YET ANOTHER set of Kuryakyn floorboards to, like the small 5" boards others mounted.

Patience may indeed be the best option. But since Bill says swing by metal shop, I know just the place here in Sacramento, and it's on my way home from work!

Good points all!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Found what might be the perfect solution for you and its bolt on. Made by Kuryakyn. Adjustable Tour-Tech™ Cruise Mounts | Foot Controls | Küryakyn. One other idea would be to have your machine shop weld 1/4" steel bar stock to the front of the existing OEM peg mounts at the appropriate angle and height. A simple bolt on foot peg would work since you don't have to have the peg fold or tilt up. Just an idea.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is exactly what I had in mind. These Kury mounts in black, but they have to attach to the frame somehow so they are offset out and away from engine, in order to prevent interference with front wheel turning radius.

I will simply take a print out of what you found to my local shop and ask "think you can make a mount for these somehow for my bike?". Might be a cheap fix. It would be cool if they could come up with a simple engine or tip over guard that these could mount onto. I know we don't NEED engine gaurds for the CTX700, but I will check this out next week and report back. T

THanks JFC for the further lead :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have my bike at an exhaust and custom fabrication shop, being fitted for regular old cruiser style custom made engine guards/crash bars. I specifically asked the creator to make it repeatable, in case we came up with something that would work for both the fairing and the naked CTX700. I will advise by next week. He is still fabricating the clamps. I wanted to try a professional approach rather than improvise on my own. Had too many bad experiences with such things not working out like I planned. Prototype my cost me $400, but hopefully can be repeated for $300 or less, closer to $250 is my earnest desire. These SHOULD look like standard engine guards, in black that matches our bikes.

Cross your fingers!!!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Good luck Ralph. It would be nice for members to have access to a nice functional alternative set of crash bars.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I currently have my bike at an exhaust and custom fabrication shop, being fitted for regular old cruiser style custom made engine guards/crash bars. I specifically asked the creator to make it repeatable, in case we came up with something that would work for both the fairing and the naked CTX700. I will advise by next week. He is still fabricating the clamps. I wanted to try a professional approach rather than improvise on my own. Had too many bad experiences with such things not working out like I planned. Prototype my cost me $400, but hopefully can be repeated for $300 or less, closer to $250 is my earnest desire. These SHOULD look like standard engine guards, in black that matches our bikes.

Cross your fingers!!!
Can't wait to see the result. Did you consider the Hepco and Becker for $247?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another another member tried it and not sufficient. When I think crash bars/engine guards, I think big 1" tube sticking out to absorb lay down impact , as well as mount things upon... Like footpegs, rocket launchers, mini guns, and anti personal rams!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Another another member tried it and not sufficient. When I think crash bars/engine guards, I think big 1" tube sticking out to absorb lay down impact , as well as mount things upon... Like footpegs, rocket launchers, mini guns, and anti personal rams!
Makes sense, I've only seen some pics online. It's certainly important that a rocket launcher has a very secure mounting.

Reactions: RedBaronRider

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
progress so far at fabricator shop

One side is finished. Other side tomorrow. Fabricator not painting them black yet because I am gonna try them out for awhile- couple days at least, to try out foot rest positions. I will report back after that.

Attachments

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ralph, these look promising.
will they be producing for others or is this a custom job only?
I have been trying to get these as well, but want mine to stay chrome.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey everybody!!! Check the appearance section for further

Yes, too slim and not what I want. And next, I will unveil what I GOT!
CHECK APPEARANCE SECTION FOR FULL REPORT

·
Registered
634 Posts
Um...where's the appearance section? I'm interested in crash bars...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Check out APPEARANCE thread for full update

engine guard/crash bars are rockin!

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts