CTX 700 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I live in Livingston County, not too far from Brighton. I moved out here in the early 90's when it was still pretty rural. We used to have to drive 25 miles to do most of our serious shopping but developers have been building like crazy out here and it now more or less a suburb. But we are still close to a lot of undeveloped countryside and a lot of Detroit area motorcyclists come out to this area to ride on nice summer weekends.

Detroit itself has a lot of serious problems but there are a lot of nice and very safe areas in the suburbs. The worst thing about Michigan is the long winters. Because of the lakes we don't get a lot of real cold weather in this area but we do get a lot of snow and rain, depending on the season. It is also one of the cloudiest states in the U.S. But the cost of living is very low here. Summers here are very nice, especially in the northern part of the state. My wife is a teacher and she plans to work for a couple more years. I told her we can keep living in Michigan but that we need to go someplace warm like Florida or Arizona for part of the winter, like January and February, even if we have to live in an RV.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you simply get the MCCruise Unuversal kit for the DL650 with electric servo and with universal harnesses you will have all you need. The install will be best accomplished by a person with decent mechanical and moderate auto/motorcycle electrical skills. The final need is for the installer to have a firm grasp of reading comphrehension. The instructions are very good but not for a beginner.

If you have the skills, you are making a very wise decision in my opinion. I have had mine installed since Nov, 2014, maybe a litle longer. The installation is not easy - but not hard either. The hardest part is laying out component locations, finding the correct signal inputs, mounting the components, wiring, then final install and adjustment.

I have relocated my servo to reduce the visibility (it requires one different part from the normal kit) and also permit mounting of the Crazy Iron Engine Guard. If you are interested PM me, I may be able to assist you with the installation.

Best of luck with your decision.

I don't have any formal mechanical training. But I am good at reading instruction manuals and technical diagrams, searching for information on the internet, and asking those with more experience than me for help. I am careful, patient, and organized. I pay a lot of attention to detail, and most importantly, I love taking things apart, putting them back together, learning how they work, and improving them.

Learning what I need to know as I go I've managed to do most of my own maintenance and repair work on cars, tractors, and motorcycles for about 40 years. I've got a garage and decent tools, and I don't depend on my Honda for daily transportation so if it is down for a bit while I'm trying to work out a problem it will be very annoying but not a crisis.

One important thing I've learned is that mistakes happen, but any mistake that doesn't kill, maim, or burn down the garage can almost always be fixed with the proper application of time and money.

I'm certain I'll run into problems and I'll probably have to ask for help regularly, but I have a lot of confidence that one way or another the problems will get solved and that eventually the cruise control will work exactly as designed.

Thanks for offering to help. I hope to get this ordered soon so I can get it installed by spring.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
The cruise control unit I'm looking at is a model from a company called MC Cruise located in Australia.

https://www.mccruise.com/

It's not cheap. Their prices are in Australian dollars and they don't have it listed on the website for the CTX700. I'm guessing it will end up costing somewhere between $800 and $900 in US dollars.

But there is a hitch: The company itself has never done an installation on a CTX700 so they don't have an installation manual specifically for this bike. Also, they normally make a custom wire harness for each kit, but since they haven't done an installation on a CTX700 they don't have the measurements they need to make one.

Several CTX700 owners have installed this using a universal harness and have worked with the company to figure other details out. The company knows which components they need to ship for this bike, they just don't have the custom wire harness for it.

I contacted the company about buying one in January. They told me they ARE NOT selling any more kits to CTX700 owners until they have the information they need to make the correct harness. They said they don't like selling universal kits that require owners to adapt the harness to the bike. They feel this is a quality issue and selling the kit this way does not meet the standards of their company.

They sent me a lot of information detailing the installation process on a bike that is somewhat like the CTX. Once everything is installed and put back together the unit has to be set up and calibrated. IMO the installation doesn't look hugely complicated but will be very labor intensive with many, many steps to follow and many hours of work over multiple days. I am told that the person doing the installation should have good mechanical skills and access to a good set of tools and a secure place to work.

I offered to work with them on this but I live in Michigan where it has been very cold. I have an excellent shop set up in a detached garage but the primary heater in there is broken (One more thing that needs to be done) and it is very uncomfortable working out there in the cold for long periods of time. I always have a lot of other projects going on anyway, so I decided to put this off until the weather warms up a bit. The temp in the garage is finally above freezing so sometime in the next couple of weeks I plan to go out and remove a boatload of Tupperware so I can make the necessary measurements. They said they will add an extra length to my measurements for each wire to allow for error so my measurements don't need to be decimal point precise.

This is going to take some time. I'll update this post when I have more to report.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
So I would like to know if someone has installed a vista cruise throttle lock or a breakaway throttle lock
and which "EXACT" model you bought and got working...so far I have bought all the different vista cruise models without the universal cross-bar and none of them fit even after machining them.

CTX700D DCT ABS with fairing not the naked one....

tnx

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I have the Breakaway. Love it. Had one on the burg, first thing I added to the C. It's mainly there to give my hand a break, but it holds better now that I slid the grip puppies up against it. No it acts like true cruise. Had it on the interstate last week and held it constant at 72 mph.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I believe it's the br02 for ours. They list the C on their site. The one for ours has an extension bar included. At first it was confusing because my other one didn't. But this one was actually easier to install. I think I got it set in about a half hour. I had previous experience with it so knew how to fit the slide under the brake handle.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
So I would like to know if someone has installed a vista cruise throttle lock or a breakaway throttle lock
and which "EXACT" model you bought and got working...so far I have bought all the different vista cruise models without the universal cross-bar and none of them fit even after machining them.

CTX700D DCT ABS with fairing not the naked one....

tnx
I just installed my BrakeAway cruise control today with great success.
The part number is 7CP02 and it fits perfectly. It's an easy install, you just need a tiny bit of patience to fine tune everything.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
And there you have it. I didn't remember the 7 cp0 stuff. Thanks glen!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is a nice looking install. But it's to rich for my blood.

I will be installing a Rostra Universal CC over the winter. It's ~$250 US plus a lot of thought and meticulous attention to detail for the successful modification.

I did this same mod on my MP3 and it still works well after 70,000 miles on it.
How did it go?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hi Vysmaster.

Ponydrvr installed the MCCruise unit like I did. If you're interested, you could be the "bunny" who takes his bike to the MCC guys (in Mt Waverley) so they can make a proper kit for it. They currently don't have a kit because, I think, they haven't done an installation themselves.

Gonzo

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been working with the guys at MC Cruise the last couple months. This included taking most of the Tupperware off my bike and sending measurements and photos to them. Based on the information I provided they put together a kit, including a wire harness that should be very close to what I need, and sold it to me. This will be for the DCT model with a fairing. I told them that when I get it installed I will send them feedback so they can tweak the length of the wiring harness as necessary, and I'll also provide them with any other information they need.

The good news is that I just received the kit and I am eager to get it installed. The bad news is that I have a LOT of other stuff going on at the moment. This is a fairly big project. If I try to work on it right now it will end up being an hour here and an hour there over a period of weeks, and I don't want the CTX to be out of commission for a long time now that prime riding weather is here. So I'm holding off on the install until I can schedule a big block of time to get it done quickly. This might not happen until June but I'll try to get to it ASAP.

The people at MC Cruise have been very good to work with. I think they are really interested in getting a kit together and they already had much of the information they needed from previous installs to various CTX models, but were missing some information they needed to complete the process. Hopefully my install will help with this.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I've been working with the guys at MC Cruise the last couple months. This included taking most of the Tupperware off my bike and sending measurements and photos to them. Based on the information I provided they put together a kit, including a wire harness that should be very close to what I need, and sold it to me. This will be for the DCT model with a fairing. I told them that when I get it installed I will send them feedback so they can tweak the length of the wiring harness as necessary, and I'll also provide them with any other information they need.

The good news is that I just received the kit and I am eager to get it installed. The bad news is that I have a LOT of other stuff going on at the moment. This is a fairly big project. If I try to work on it right now it will end up being an hour here and an hour there over a period of weeks, and I don't want the CTX to be out of commission for a long time now that prime riding weather is here. So I'm holding off on the install until I can schedule a big block of time to get it done quickly. This might not happen until June but I'll try to get to it ASAP.

The people at MC Cruise have been very good to work with. I think they are really interested in getting a kit together and they already had much of the information they needed from previous installs to various CTX models, but were missing some information they needed to complete the process. Hopefully my install will help with this.
i'm positive they are very interested, in fact somebody from MC cruise joined to forums to give us some feedback on the current status of the device and why it's not available for the CTX700. I'll be very keen on seeing your results, I still have hopes of putting something like this on my CTX.
It's actually a perfect match for the DCT version in particular because you don't have to worry about shifting gears.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
It's actually a perfect match for the DCT version in particular because you don't have to worry about shifting gears.
I think the MCC unit monitors the revs, and disengages when it sees a step change (as happens when the DCT changes gears). If I had a DCT I would prefer it didn't so that, but I seem to remember Ponydrvr said that it did...

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I'm glad to see another install o0f the MCC Cruise Control.

I installed mine with all the monitoring options connected. ie: 1.) Transmission output sensor - (used for ABS input) and provides the MCC primary speed reference signal, 2.) Engine RPM sensing - It will disable the MCC if gear change is made while MCC is engaged - a definite safety need, (If you don't want engine speed change to disengage the unit, then just don't hook up the engine speed monitoring.) 3.) Brake light sensor - this is the "normal" mode to disengage the MCC.

The other key change I made is to relocate the servo mechanism to the right rear under the side cover. This was necessary since it was mounted exposed on the left top frame rail directly under the fuel tank. I needed the space to install the Crazy Iron engine guards. I needed a 24 inch servo cable to make that happen. The original was 18 inches and just a tad to short.

The servo cable was nearly a line of sight install. I did have to fish it around a couple of obstacles but it was no big problem.

I hope this is of some benefit to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
MC Cruise

I had the guys in Melbourne install the cruise control into my AN650 Burgman. They let me hang around the workshop and watch. They were great to work with and the product worked flawlessly for about 120,000km (until the trans failed). I'm seriously thinking about having them fit a cruise control to my CTX.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I had the guys in Melbourne install the cruise control into my AN650 Burgman. They let me hang around the workshop and watch. They were great to work with and the product worked flawlessly for about 120,000km (until the trans failed). I'm seriously thinking about having them fit a cruise control to my CTX.
Do it, they said they needed more CTX's in person to test and verify the fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please do.

Your cost would be the price of a kit, and we waive labour for development bikes.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts