CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Been a while, and I finally ordered the kit.

Thank you pioneers who led the way.

After this, I'll have two bikes in the garage with McCruise -- the other being my 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Anyone using one of these? $179 and tested on the CTX700.

https://www.brakeawayproducts.com
Yep. I have it on the ctx. Had one on my burg too and it actually is better on the ctx. Holds speed much better. I think these are the safest manual cruiser controls out there. Love em. Flick the brakes or the quick release and it's off. Plus the way this one is designed it also serves as a helmet lock. :) took me about 1/2 hour to install.

Reactions: El Gato

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Just to be clear ... these are a throttle lock device ... it is not a cruise control.
Really? Isn't any cruise control basically a throttle lock? Last time I checked that is basically what it does. Now you can get fancy and allow accelerate / decelerate too (which the brakeaway does) or have it automatically disengage when you hit the brakes (which the brakeaway does).

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Yep. I have it on the ctx. Had one on my burg too and it actually is better on the ctx. Holds speed much better. I think these are the safest manual cruiser controls out there. Love em. Flick the brakes or the quick release and it's off. Plus the way this one is designed it also serves as a helmet lock. :) took me about 1/2 hour to install.
I think I am going to get one. $179 and it looks really well made. Just watched a YouTube of how to install it. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Really? Isn't any cruise control basically a throttle lock? Last time I checked that is basically what it does. Now you can get fancy and allow accelerate / decelerate too (which the brakeaway does) or have it automatically disengage when you hit the brakes (which the brakeaway does).
Really??? Do you not understand the difference between a cruise control and a throttle lock?

How does your Breakaway device adjust to uphill/downhill load changes? Does it sense motor and speed changes from your set point and re-adjust automatically to +-2 mph?

If you change gears (manual or DCT) to climb a steep hill does it automatically disengage? The MCC does and without any input directly from the user.

How does your Breakaway handle rear wheel slip at speed? Does it automatically disengage?

The Breakaway product does appear to be safer than any form of the "Crampbuster" style devices and possibly more user friendly than an O-Ring wedged between the throttle tube and bar end weight.

Finally, even Breakaway recognizes their shortcomings saying in their literature it is "alternative to electronic cruise".

I have no fault with those who chose to use this product. Just, please, understand what it is and what it is not.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think I am going to get one. $179 and it looks really well made. Just watched a YouTube of how to install it. Very easy.
There are more components to the one for the ctx than the one for the burg. But for some reason the one for the ctx is actually easier to install. I believe I used the second smallest of the 4 rings provided El Gato. And yes your right. Manual or electronic they are all throttle locks. Either at the bars or in the throttle body sensors.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Really??? Do you not understand the difference between a cruise control and a throttle lock?

How does your Breakaway device adjust to uphill/downhill load changes? Does it sense motor and speed changes from your set point and re-adjust automatically to +-2 mph?

If you change gears (manual or DCT) to climb a steep hill does it automatically disengage? The MCC does and without any input directly from the user.

How does your Breakaway handle rear wheel slip at speed? Does it automatically disengage?

The Breakaway product does appear to be safer than any form of the "Crampbuster" style devices and possibly more user friendly than an O-Ring wedged between the throttle tube and bar end weight.

Finally, even Breakaway recognizes their shortcomings saying in their literature it is "alternative to electronic cruise".

I have no fault with those who chose to use this product. Just, please, understand what it is and what it is not.
I consider the brakeaway and it's rider to be cyborg. I am the auto controller for up and down loading. I don't really consider any of these shortcomings. My wife has real cruise on her can am. I still need to override it because of traffic. The BA holds the speed on the flats just as hers does. In fact on my real cc on my car if the wheels lose traction I'm going to be going the set speed but in a different direction. Saw that happen this winter to a new Mercedes. Saw his interior skid marks too by the look on his face as I avoided his new line of travel. Hers doesn't disengage on rear wheel slip, but mine does when I as part of the cyborg feels it and hits the brakes.

One can call theses things anything they want. But for price and value, for safety in general these things are the Cadillac of the items to do the job. And in general not to ride it all day like that but mainly for a stretch of the hands and arm.

Besides. I've known of multiple instances of automobile cc systems that failed. This one doesn't. It can't really unless you've installed it improperly or been on for a VERY long time. The little ones rings things work too but they scare me to fiddle with them to go on and off.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts

We can argue semantics all day but really both are cruise controls. Really what you are pointing out is the difference between a very sophisticated electronic cruise control (with a thousand dollar price) to a more simple form of cruise control at less than 1/5 the price. Personally I don't really need all of those electronic features if all I am doing is crusing on a highway with little to no traffic, which is the only scenario where I would use it. But to those that value all of that and don't mind the price, more power to you.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Just for the record, a cruise control device and throttle lock are nothing alike and do not serve the same purposes. A cruise control maintains a set speed. A throttle lock maintains a set throttle position. The cruise control will maintain its set speed until disengaged or fuel runs out. A throttle lock will maintain its set throttle position even though the bike is travelling faster or slower.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just for the record, a cruise control device and throttle lock are nothing alike and do not serve the same purposes. A cruise control maintains a set speed. A throttle lock maintains a set throttle position. The cruise control will maintain its set speed until disengaged or fuel runs out. A throttle lock will maintain its set throttle position even though the bike is travelling faster or slower.
Not only for reccord:'. Bike is not car.Bike don't need any systems,like a block the throttle,because rider have to concentrate on the road all the time.Cruise Control not for motorcycle.This is dangerous and again safety of riding.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Yes I understand the difference in features and how it achieves the goal. But I don't see how the basic purpose is not the same. Both are used to relieve the rider from cramping up/fatigue from holding the throttle open for hours on long highway stretches. Is that not the main reason for both the devices we are discussing? Is there anyone buying either the Brakeaway or the McCruise for any other reason?

One is more sophisticated than the other. One requires just a bit more user intervention than the other. But the purpose is the same. Both are for allowing you to ride on the highway with some relief for the fatigue of holding the throttle open. Call them whatever you want but they serve the same basic purpose.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have used both types of cruise controls (throttle-lock and electronic). My main reason for using them is indeed to give my right hand a rest, however, not far behind is the desire to keep my licence. Here in Oz, the freeway limits are 110kph, and I find that, with no cruise control, I need only a minute or so thinking of something other than controlling my speed, and the bike's speed will have crept up to 130. With a throttle lock type I found that although my right hand had a rest, I was still always having to adjust the throttle. It annoyed me when there'd be a slight decline and the speed went up. It annoyed me more when there'd be a slight incline and I found I was doing 90. With the electronic cruise I simply don't need to worry about that aspect of my trips. It is definitely less stressful and I feel fresher when I arrive at my destination. I use it only where the traffic is light and when I'm on the freeway or open road.

After having had a throttle lock on 2 bikes and an electronic cruise on 3, I'm sold on the electronic version.

Gonzo

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am interested in adding the MC Cruise to my CTX 700 DCT. I've looked at the website and notice the manufacturer still has no CTX700 listed even though several members of this forum already have it installed on their bikes. I don't think I will have any trouble installing this but I need to figure out which parts to order since they don't offer a kit. I'm wondering if anyone here has a list of the parts they used in their installation. I notice there is a favorable currency exchange rate right now and I'm thinking I should order soon before the value of the dollar has a chance to drop.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I am interested in adding the MC Cruise to my CTX 700 DCT. I've looked at the website and notice the manufacturer still has no CTX700 listed even though several members of this forum already have it installed on their bikes. I don't think I will have any trouble installing this but I need to figure out which parts to order since they don't offer a kit. I'm wondering if anyone here has a list of the parts they used in their installation. I notice there is a favorable currency exchange rate right now and I'm thinking I should order soon before the value of the dollar has a chance to drop.
http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/comfort/56154-cruise-control-3.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to welcome you to the Forum and to the World of the CTX700! Looks like you got a great bike with lots of accessories. I wanted a red one, so I'm jealous.

Are you out past Brighton? On my last job before retiring, I was contracted to GM and my office was near John R and 14 Mile. So, I spent a lot of time in the Detroit Metro area. Once you get north of 8 Mile, it is nothing like people expect. Enjoy! John

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If you simply get the MCCruise Unuversal kit for the DL650 with electric servo and with universal harnesses you will have all you need. The install will be best accomplished by a person with decent mechanical and moderate auto/motorcycle electrical skills. The final need is for the installer to have a firm grasp of reading comphrehension. The instructions are very good but not for a beginner.

If you have the skills, you are making a very wise decision in my opinion. I have had mine installed since Nov, 2014, maybe a litle longer. The installation is not easy - but not hard either. The hardest part is laying out component locations, finding the correct signal inputs, mounting the components, wiring, then final install and adjustment.

I have relocated my servo to reduce the visibility (it requires one different part from the normal kit) and also permit mounting of the Crazy Iron Engine Guard. If you are interested PM me, I may be able to assist you with the installation.

Best of luck with your decision.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts