CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

After having my CTX700 for a bit over a month, I've finally got around to installing a cruise control.

A little bit of history: I had this unit installed on my previous bike (Suzi C50T) and I liked it so much that I removed it before I sold the bike. I talked to the manufacturers and they had some upgrades since I bought the original, so I got those. I've just finished the installation.

The unit is manufactured in Melbourne, AU, and monitors speed, rpm, brake, clutch, etc like all good cruise controls. The servo is electric. The controls on the handlebar have On/Off, Set and Res, and you can "tap" the set speed up and down.

Here's some pics of the controls, the cable interface unit, and the servo:

Gonzo

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Very cool. Any info on the manufacturer, model and price?
The manufacturers are:
Home Page | Motorcycle Cruise Controls

Their pricing is on the website and is typically around A$1000 to A$1100. They have kits to suit lots of bikes, but mine was the first CTX700 they had done, so that isn't up on the website yet. If you are interested, just email them.

The system is excellent, and the guys who make it are motorcycle nuts. They've given me good service.

Gonzo

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ponydrvr.

Yes, that's the actuator. It's strapped to the frame with hose clamps sheathed in heat-shrink to look like the bike frame colour. The cable from the servo loops across to the other side of the bike where the "Cable Interface Unit" is. That unit allows the servo cable to pull in parallel with the twistgrip cable. The twistgrip actually turns as it adjusts your speed (same as a car cruise control) - spooky!

The computer is under the seat. There's only the three major items to mount (computer, servo, CIU). The rest is plugging in the electrics and adjusting.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
That is a nice looking install. But it's to rich for my blood.

I will be installing a Rostra Universal CC over the winter. It's ~$250 US plus a lot of thought and meticulous attention to detail for the successful modification.

I did this same mod on my MP3 and it still works well after 70,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Man Ponydrvr, you had me feeling all tingly all over till I got to this on Rostra's web site:

Motorcycle, ATV, Recreational and Foreign Vehicle Notes

We do not recommend using any Rostra cruise control systems on motorcycle, ATV, or other non-automotive applications as we do not validate the operation of these units on these vehicles. Due to safety concerns surrounding these installations, Rostra representatives are unable to provide technical support on these applications.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I know. I read the disclaimers before I installed on the MP3. It wasn't a particularly scary thing though because I am a good fabricator and do pretty good work on my own and fully understand the issues involved with motorcycle installs.

To be certain, I do not recommend nor do I consult with anyone regarding how or what to do to accomplish this type of mod. Primarily because of the Rostra disclaimer and that I don't want any liability for others installation. Finally, I will not install on any bike other than my own and will remove or disable prior to sale to any future buyer.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I have the greatest respect for you and your thinking concerning this matter. Like you, I have also done some mods to my bike I will never post based on the similar belief that its safe for me to perform but could be disastrous for others. Safety should always be the primary goal when fabrication or making changes to the bikes operation are concerned. Good luck on the installation.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
The Rostra is a very popular mod on both the COG and ZGGTR Concours forum. MurphsKits sellls the unit as well as a relay package. He also sells the optional switchgear.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I did not see the electronic version of and CC kit. Where did you find it on his site?
I believe that people have to choose their own course, it is not for me to decide for them what may or not be safe. A GPS is probably one of the most dangerous things that you can add to a motorcycle if not used properly. Another thing is that I always find it odd to require seatbelt use for adults but at the same time allow motorcyclist to ride freely and without a hemet. That is not a right or wrong discussion, just my take on it.

Here is the link, and as I said he has different control pads and the mounts. Top Notch guy as well.

Rostra Electronic Cruise Control

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Gonzo,

I installed one of these units on my trike several years ago and it has always worked perfectly. I have found it to be every bit as good as some of the factory fitted units on some of the bikes I have owned (Harleys and BMW's). I mostly only use it when my right hand starts to get a bit numb but so far this has not happened on my CTX700.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Gonzo,

I installed one of these units on my trike several years ago and it has always worked perfectly. I have found it to be every bit as good as some of the factory fitted units on some of the bikes I have owned (Harleys and BMW's). I mostly only use it when my right hand starts to get a bit numb but so far this has not happened on my CTX700.
Trike, eh? Bit left of centre...

Yeah, they're good. I think the vacuum-powered unit I had on my Suzi Boulevard wasn't quite as good as the HD one on my Road King Classic, but that may have been the setting-up (I did it myself). The new electric servo unit is much better, and the results I've got with minimal "tuning" are easily as good as the HD.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Hi All.

After having my CTX700 for a bit over a month, I've finally got around to installing a cruise control.

A little bit of history: I had this unit installed on my previous bike (Suzi C50T) and I liked it so much that I removed it before I sold the bike. I talked to the manufacturers and they had some upgrades since I bought the original, so I got those. I've just finished the installation.

The unit is manufactured in Melbourne, AU, and monitors speed, rpm, brake, clutch, etc like all good cruise controls. The servo is electric. The controls on the handlebar have On/Off, Set and Res, and you can "tap" the set speed up and down.

Here's some pics of the controls, the cable interface unit, and the servo:

Gonzo
Well Gonzo, I went and installed an MCCruise. Completed it last week and have tuned it up. I'm really happy with how it works, it's responsiveness, and speed holding abilities both up and down hills is impressive,

It has held speed on an uphill, 8% grade for over 7 miles @ 70 mph to < -1 mph. The downhill side of the same hill, speed @ 70 mph, held to < +1 mph.

The flat and level ride getting to the hill was @ 70 mph and was rock solid at set speed.

If it quits raining today or tomorrow I will try the same ride at 25 and 50 mph for comparison.

All in all, I'm glad I went the MCC route rather than reusing the Rostra unit only because it's a cleaner more professional appearance. Operationally, same results, Rostra just costs less than the MCC.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ponydrvr,

That's the first MCC installation I've heard of on an auto transmission bike. Well done. I know with my manual transmission, if I hit a steepish hill at under 3K in top, it lugs and doesn't hold the speed. Yours would just shift down. I'm jealous.

I find with good (expensive) stuff, after a while you forget about the cost and just enjoy the results.

Gonzo

PS: you haven't got it listed in your Farkles yet!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
So I think I want to follow suit.

Tony sent me the photos last night, though without annotation I can't follow them sufficiently to confidently install the cruise control.

May I lean on you for questions ?

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts