CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my VFR, I can perform a soft reset of the ECU through a very simple process. Don't touch anything, start the bike, idle until the cooling fan kicks in, turn off the bike...don't touch a thing other than the key or it fails and the bike must be cold. Can the same process be applied to the CTX? The VFR has a sensitive throttle and this process remediates the issue to some degree.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry... Does it apply to the CTX too?
I don't know, but I have seen s sequence how to reset the clutch, but it fits to the DCT only. Here is what I found:

Start the engine.
Select N
Stop the engine.
While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow ‘engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D
Press in fast sequence: DDNDN
On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together
Restart engine, allow it to idle.
After a few seconds, the letters D and S should go out.
Job done.

I have also seen a kind of ECU reset sequences, but they are not confirmed by Honda. Those instructions usually tell to diconnect the battery for an hour or so and then connect it back and start the engine without touching anywhere and letting the engine run until the fan starts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, but I have seen s sequence how to reset the clutch, but it fits to the DCT only. Here is what I found:

Start the engine.
Select N
Stop the engine.
While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow ‘engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D
Press in fast sequence: DDNDN
On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together
Restart engine, allow it to idle.
After a few seconds, the letters D and S should go out.
Job done.

I have also seen a kind of ECU reset sequences, but they are not confirmed by Honda. Those instructions usually tell to diconnect the battery for an hour or so and then connect it back and start the engine without touching anywhere and letting the engine run until the fan starts.
Thank you again Maurimy!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Typically it allows some tables of learned values in the computer to be cleared and rebuilt. That of course, assumes the the ECU in question has the ability to "learn" and store the learned values....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Typically it allows some tables of learned values in the computer to be cleared and rebuilt. That of course, assumes the the ECU in question has the ability to "learn" and store the learned values....
Hey T. CTX's Ecu...is it a learning ECU ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Depends on who you ask. I don't believe that it does, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks! I have some time. I'll research a little more.
Let us know what you find.

All I could find is a Honda marketing document (2014 CTX700/CTX700N Development Press Kit) that states:

"This new-generation DCT also has a new level of sophistication: a "learning function" allows the ECU (engine control unit) to detect variations in operational patterns in different riding environments, from city streets to mountain passes and more. With continued riding under given circumstances, the DCT "learns" and adapts to these patterns by performing the most appropriate shift actions—automatically—to create a whole new level of riding compatibility.

This has been debated on this forum...

Reactions: dgall

·
Registered
528 Posts
On the bottom of page 4-8 of the service manual under MCS information. ECM/PCM reset The MCS can reset the ECM/PCM data including the DTC, freeze data and some learning memory. There is no reference as to what is in the learning memory to be reset or if it is engine or DCT related?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts