CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it's been awhile since anybody stirred the pot and started a "controversial" topic. With that being said, here we go.
I have been working with the engineers at Magnum Tuning and I am getting ready to embark on a E85 conversion on my 15' CTX700N.

First question I'm sure everyone will ask is why? My response is why not? Those that are familiar with this bike know I only run it on the track and am looking for the consistency that alcohol provides not so much for a performance increase. I know the ECU is supposed to constantly self tune but in theory it should have to adjust less with 85% alcohol. The programmer will be wired so with a flip of a switch I can go back to stock tune for gas if it doesn't work.
I will also be adding a stand alone AFR gauge to allow me to tune it in for my application.
I'll sit back with my popcorn and enjoy the show, let the comments begin! Lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are you looking to boost the compression and add turbo? E85 is the cheapest race fuel available!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think it is awesome! Sounds like every single bit of it is about having fun and maybe some bragging rights.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My question for those with greater knowledge is about the impact on the engine. I have heard that increasing the ethanol content is not good for the engines? True, Not true?

·
Registered
329 Posts
True, which is why many manufacturers specifically state in the owners manual not to use greater than E10. Usually has to do with fuel system components. Even E10 is hell on the fuel lines in small engines, seems that they only last about 4 to 5 years before rotting. Just ordered a fuel line kit for my weed eater and have to rebuild the carb in my leaf blower.

Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is good you arent looking for that since E85 has less chemical energy than E0 so your bike will be slower.

Steve
True it has less chemical energy. Standard rule of thumb is to increase fuel flow by 30% to get the "chemical energy" back up. In fact just switching to E85 with no fuel increase the engine probably won't even start. Some of the advantages are lower burning temp (cooler running engine) and 108 octane. So yes your gas mileage will go down but running 1/4 mile at a time this is not an issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My question for those with greater knowledge is about the impact on the engine. I have heard that increasing the ethanol content is not good for the engines? True, Not true?
Yes and no. As Steve mentioned it's mainly fuel system issues i.e. fuel lines, seals etc as the alcohol is somewhat corrosive. The fuel itself actually burns cleaner (less carbon build up in the engine). With that being said in between race weekends I'll flush the system and run regular gas to ensure we don't get fuel line/fuel pump breakdown etc. Let me stress I would not do this on my everyday rider but as this is a race only bike its feasable.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
True it has less chemical energy. Standard rule of thumb is to increase fuel flow by 30% to get the "chemical energy" back up. In fact just switching to E85 with no fuel increase the engine probably won't even start. Some of the advantages are lower burning temp (cooler running engine) and 108 octane. So yes your gas mileage will go down but running 1/4 mile at a time this is not an issue.
Most racing engines that run Alky also have the Compression Ratio increased. Years ago, I dragged a AA/GS coupe. On VP116 we ran 9:1 (with almost 20lb boost from the blower.) When we switched to Alky we reworked the heads, and put in pop-up pistons, to bring it up to 13:1. Performance was almost identical to the set up for VP116.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most racing engines that run Alky also have the Compression Ratio increased. Years ago, I dragged a AA/GS coupe. On VP116 we ran 9:1 (with almost 20lb boost from the blower.) When we switched to Alky we reworked the heads, and put in pop-up pistons, to bring it up to 13:1. Performance was almost identical to the set up for VP116.
Yes sir,,,up the compression, up the timing as detonation is less of an issue on alcohol. Ran a S/C dragster back in the day injected on methanol myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts