CTX 700 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
390 Posts
tranny issue

I feel you-my tranny was stuck in 2nd and then the bike wouldn't start. Luckily she was still under warranty-dealer's service told me a screw came loose-and the gecko insurance reimbursed the tow-hopefully that's the last time I have any issue.
Been following the advice in the forum, putting her into neutral before shutting her down now0:)

· Registered
442 Posts
After golf, yesterday, I strapped on my bag, turned the key and fired it up. Released the parking brake and hit "D". Nothing. Still in Neutral. Tried a couple more times. Nothing. Tried the rocker switches. Nothing. Happened to glance down, and the side stand was still down. Kicked it up, pushed D, and was on my way home. Sometimes it's the little things. Brain fart.

· Premium Member
857 Posts
After golf, yesterday, I strapped on my bag, turned the key and fired it up. Released the parking brake and hit "D". Nothing. Still in Neutral. Tried a couple more times. Nothing. Tried the rocker switches. Nothing. Happened to glance down, and the side stand was still down. Kicked it up, pushed D, and was on my way home. Sometimes it's the little things. Brain fart.
I've done that also....one of the nice safety features of the DCT.

· Premium Member
11,750 Posts
I've done that also....one of the nice safety features of the DCT.
+1. We all have. If you haven't yet, you will. Wouldn't be the first time I've cussed and talked bad to my CTX only to realize I should have turned my anger at myself. Usually happens while I'm sitting at the fuel pump surrounded by a group of other riders. God has a sense of humor and a funny way of showing me humility.

· Registered
21 Posts
Salesman did the same thing when showing me how to work the DCT. I told him to put the kickstand up and asked him if there was anything else I could teach him about it.:laugh:

· Registered
1,449 Posts
Was picking up one of my bikes last year from a dealer check up, and while I was talking to the parts guy outside, I went to start it. Nothing. Started playing with the clutch (I had an aftermarket adjustable lever that at the time I had not adjusted properly, and the bike would not start if it was set on position 6 - nice antitheft feature, LOL - that was not it. Checking gears, nothing. Guy is looking at me like I’m an idiot. Points to the emergency shutdown switch, that apparently everyone is using. My reply? I don’t use that ****. (If I don’t have to.)

· Registered
1,166 Posts
I just did this Friday.... Started the bike up, walked it out of the garage, tried to put it into drive, turned it off and back on, walked it forward and back.... right as I was about to back it back into the garage, I looked down and saw the kick stand was still down.

· Registered
8 Posts
I HAD A SIMILAR DCT PROBLEM TOO

Saturday, June 9 in the afternoon I took my Honda 60 miles out on an adventure to visit friends in Spring Hill FL and watch the Belmont Stakes horse race.

I was doing 45 on Little Road, a busy 4 lane highway - 50 miles from home. I stopped at a light, and when it turned green my bike wouldn't move forward and just stayed in neutral. Of course, there was a Publix semi truck behind me. I had to duck walk the bike forward in traffic till a crosswalk opening let me get off the road. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

I did the rock the bike back and forth and finally got N. The bike started and ran, so I tried to reach my destination. Five miles ahead bike was in 4th gear when the shift indicator changed to a - dash. Now the bike wouldn't shift at all, but it still ran. So I continued toward my destination and prayed for no lights, and I made it - 60 miles from home. I shut the bike down. Now it wouldn't start or anything. It just clicked when I tried to start it. I was stuck.

I had it towed home by 2 Wheel Towing & Transport at a cost of $150.

Tuesday the dealer - West Coast Power Sports - Picked up my bike. Because this is important, I will quote from the technician's notes:

Pushed the bike in the shop. Checked the oil level (full). Pulled diagnostic blink code from the dash (8-6). No instructions for this code in the manual. Called tech support. Opened a case. Described the symptoms and was advised to pull the clutch cover and inspect shift drum star bolt for looseness. Removed clutch cover. Removed shaft seals and outer clutch assy. Removed the shift drum ratchet assy and found the shift drum star bolt loose. Cleaned and installed bolt using red loctite and torqued the bolt to spec. Installed shift shaft and ratchet assy. Tested through all gears manually. Reinstalled everything removed and topped off with 2 qts of oil. Test drove 2 miles. Checked oil level again and returned the bike to service.

My conclusions:

1. Good job West Coast Power Sports Clearwater, FL!

2. Honda improperly assembled my DCT transmission and it failed me on a busy highway. Honda is aware of the problem and told the technician what to look for and how to fix it. Honda needs to figure a test for this problem and issue a recall for the affected bikes. The owners of these bikes should not be endangered by sudden breakdowns in traffic, and should not have to pay to fix Honda's loose shift drum star bolt manufacturing error. Honda messed up and they should own it.

3. Until I regain confidence that my DCT transmission will hold together, I will only use my CTX700D for local runs.

Holy crap! This is exactly what I described in my recent post!

https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/h...-honda-nm4-dct-issue-solution.html#post920661

The techs even fixed it the same way using a mechanical adhesive (Loctite)! I'm out $750 over a bolt that came loose. I'm opening a ticket with the NTHSA.

· Registered
1,478 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Why don't you call West Coast Power Sports and ask them who you should contact at Honda to address an identical issue?

I went through my dealership out here in California maybe I should add.

I already contacted Honda twice. They have not reached out to me over the last few weeks. I'm just floored at seeing all the other folks having this same issue. I don't use the internet much I should add. I once owned a pager and thought it was the neatest thing if that helps to date me.... :crying:

I opened a ticket with the NHTSA. I hope others do too.

· Registered
2 Posts
2015 CTX700D with 25000 klms, went into limp mode (gear display flashing as "-") 4 times on a recent ride. I was 185 kilometres from home, and 10 kilometres from a Honda Dealer (thankfully). Got there in 2nd gear using the rock and roll method.

I left my bike with the Honda Service Mechanics. Used rock and roll method 3 times with 30 minutes un between each and finally got the transmission to move from 3rd gear back to neutral.

I am waiting for the mechanic to get back to me, but I'd like to tell the mechanic what to look for.

The discussion above this entry, seems to suggest there may be one or two issues that may need to be inspected.

Can someone who is mechanically knowledgeable, or has had their DCT fail in the same way, provide me with a clear instruction of what I need to know?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks from Sydney, Australia.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
2015 CTX700D with 25000 klms, went into limp mode (gear display flashing as "-") 4 times on a recent ride. I was 185 kilometres from home, and 10 kilometres from a Honda Dealer (thankfully). Got there in 2nd gear using the rock and roll method.

I left my bike with the Honda Service Mechanics. Used rock and roll method 3 times with 30 minutes un between each and finally got the transmission to move from 3rd gear back to neutral.

I am waiting for the mechanic to get back to me, but I'd like to tell the mechanic what to look for.

The discussion above this entry, seems to suggest there may be one or two issues that may need to be inspected.

Can someone who is mechanically knowledgeable, or has had their DCT fail in the same way, provide me with a clear instruction of what I need to know?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks from Sydney, Australia.
You found the post I vaguely remembered and mentioned on Facebook... This thread and some of the links in it show a bolt and/or a shift pin...

· Registered
1 Posts
I've gained a lot of CTX wisdom from this site so I'm hoping to add a tiny bit to this compendium of knowledge. At about 6,000 miles I got to experience limp mode firsthand on my 2015 DCT ND. I'm a big boy pushing 3 bills. I was riding 2up with my teenage daughter one winter weekend. She's a dainty thing but we still had a decent amount of weight on the bike. Our drive was a combo of freeway and stop and go but I was pushing the CTX pretty hard. After about 15 minutes of riding I got the dreaded flashing dash and the bike was stuck in 4th. We pulled over, let it cool off for about 15 minutes and I was able to start it and rock it back into neutral. Took it easy on surface streets on the way home and it didn't repeat itself. I commute to work on my CTX and over the next couple of weeks limp mode came back at about 10 minutes into every leg of my drive. Finally took my head out of the sand and brought the bike in. I was armed with a shortlist of probable suspects I gleaned from this and other threads (shift control motor, angle sensor etc.). I was worried about getting billed for hours of diagnosis time at the shop and wanted to do anything I could to help accelerate identifying the root cause. It was overkill though because I got a call saying that they think it was because my oil was overfilled at the shop I brought it to last fall. They drained it some I guess and said that should do the trick. Frankly I wasn't buying it at the time and was thinking I'd end up in limp mode on the way home only to have to bring it back to the shop the next day. Couldn't argue with them because I know less than Jon Snow. I break out into anxiety sweats twice a year when I have to change time on the bike. Then miracle of miracles. I got home fine. Drove it to work the next day. She drove like day one. No issues the next four days either. Overfilled oil turned out to be the culprit in my case. Add that to the list of (low cost) possibilities if you get stung by limp mode.

3 Posts
I feel your pain guys, I've got a 2015 ctx with the same issue but I heard some metal noises when shifting after an oil change.
I'm digging into it now and I'll let you know what I find.
Wish me luck.
No luck needed.
To confirm picture attached of the bolt that's the issue. Every other bolts I came across had locgite on it while this one did not.
Simply remove the bolt, make sure it lines with the pin behind the star gear, add blue loctite and reinstall.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
1,126 Posts
Thanks for posting these.How long did this take you to do? Any special tools needed?

· Registered
59 Posts
Side question, do you carry clubs on your CTX? Had a Vstrom until recently and I did on it a couple times.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts