CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Premium Member
11,750 Posts
Its not strange at all. Legitimate people join up all the time looking for answers only to specific questions and then sign off until the next problem. On the other hand, marketing trolls will also post made up problems with a product knowing that these types of posts will appear all over the internet every time someone tries to research the product. Most search engines now weed out single posts but multiple different posts can get past them.

· Registered
8 Posts
I HAD A SIMILAR DCT PROBLEM TOO

Saturday, June 9 in the afternoon I took my Honda 60 miles out on an adventure to visit friends in Spring Hill FL and watch the Belmont Stakes horse race.

I was doing 45 on Little Road, a busy 4 lane highway - 50 miles from home. I stopped at a light, and when it turned green my bike wouldn't move forward and just stayed in neutral. Of course, there was a Publix semi truck behind me. I had to duck walk the bike forward in traffic till a crosswalk opening let me get off the road. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

I did the rock the bike back and forth and finally got N. The bike started and ran, so I tried to reach my destination. Five miles ahead bike was in 4th gear when the shift indicator changed to a - dash. Now the bike wouldn't shift at all, but it still ran. So I continued toward my destination and prayed for no lights, and I made it - 60 miles from home. I shut the bike down. Now it wouldn't start or anything. It just clicked when I tried to start it. I was stuck.

I had it towed home by 2 Wheel Towing & Transport at a cost of $150.

Tuesday the dealer - West Coast Power Sports - Picked up my bike. Because this is important, I will quote from the technician's notes:

Pushed the bike in the shop. Checked the oil level (full). Pulled diagnostic blink code from the dash (8-6). No instructions for this code in the manual. Called tech support. Opened a case. Described the symptoms and was advised to pull the clutch cover and inspect shift drum star bolt for looseness. Removed clutch cover. Removed shaft seals and outer clutch assy. Removed the shift drum ratchet assy and found the shift drum star bolt loose. Cleaned and installed bolt using red loctite and torqued the bolt to spec. Installed shift shaft and ratchet assy. Tested through all gears manually. Reinstalled everything removed and topped off with 2 qts of oil. Test drove 2 miles. Checked oil level again and returned the bike to service.

My conclusions:

1. Good job West Coast Power Sports Clearwater, FL!

2. Honda improperly assembled my DCT transmission and it failed me on a busy highway. Honda is aware of the problem and told the technician what to look for and how to fix it. Honda needs to figure a test for this problem and issue a recall for the affected bikes. The owners of these bikes should not be endangered by sudden breakdowns in traffic, and should not have to pay to fix Honda's loose shift drum star bolt manufacturing error. Honda messed up and they should own it.

3. Until I regain confidence that my DCT transmission will hold together, I will only use my CTX700D for local runs.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
While I'm sorry to hear of your trouble, AMA, AMA, AMA. I've said it a thousand times, and I'm not talking American Medical Association. For $49 a year you can have an organization the lobbies for riders, get discounts on purchases, AND GET FREE TOWING for and your family for ANY AND ALL VEHICLES you own. I'll cut you some slack and assume you didn't know.;)

http://join.americanmotorcyclist.com/join-the-ama/?msclkid=9eb576c516351b3d1cb42df054a06ead

· Premium Member
11,750 Posts
I HAD A SIMILAR DCT PROBLEM TOO

Saturday, June 9 in the afternoon I took my Honda 60 miles out on an adventure to visit friends in Spring Hill FL and watch the Belmont Stakes horse race.

I was doing 45 on Little Road, a busy 4 lane highway - 50 miles from home. I stopped at a light, and when it turned green my bike wouldn't move forward and just stayed in neutral. Of course, there was a Publix semi truck behind me. I had to duck walk the bike forward in traffic till a crosswalk opening let me get off the road. Talk about an adrenaline rush.

I did the rock the bike back and forth and finally got N. The bike started and ran, so I tried to reach my destination. Five miles ahead bike was in 4th gear when the shift indicator changed to a - dash. Now the bike wouldn't shift at all, but it still ran. So I continued toward my destination and prayed for no lights, and I made it - 60 miles from home. I shut the bike down. Now it wouldn't start or anything. It just clicked when I tried to start it. I was stuck.

I had it towed home by 2 Wheel Towing & Transport at a cost of $150.

Tuesday the dealer - West Coast Power Sports - Picked up my bike. Because this is important, I will quote from the technician's notes:

Pushed the bike in the shop. Checked the oil level (full). Pulled diagnostic blink code from the dash (8-6). No instructions for this code in the manual. Called tech support. Opened a case. Described the symptoms and was advised to pull the clutch cover and inspect shift drum star bolt for looseness. Removed clutch cover. Removed shaft seals and outer clutch assy. Removed the shift drum ratchet assy and found the shift drum star bolt loose. Cleaned and installed bolt using red loctite and torqued the bolt to spec. Installed shift shaft and ratchet assy. Tested through all gears manually. Reinstalled everything removed and topped off with 2 qts of oil. Test drove 2 miles. Checked oil level again and returned the bike to service.

My conclusions:

1. Good job West Coast Power Sports Clearwater, FL!

2. Honda improperly assembled my DCT transmission and it failed me on a busy highway. Honda is aware of the problem and told the technician what to look for and how to fix it. Honda needs to figure a test for this problem and issue a recall for the affected bikes. The owners of these bikes should not be endangered by sudden breakdowns in traffic, and should not have to pay to fix Honda's loose shift drum star bolt manufacturing error. Honda messed up and they should own it.

3. Until I regain confidence that my DCT transmission will hold together, I will only use my CTX700D for local runs.
Actually, the bike did exactly what it was supposed to do. When it sensed there was a problem, it refused to let you move forward and forced you to stop. Its a safety feature of the DCT.

I am a little confused. Did the DCT shift into neutral at the light or did you shift into neutral. You state you walked it back and forth per the owners manual and finally got neutral and then ran the bike 60 miles even though the shift indicator indicated a "-". The CTX has a limp home mode and may have allowed you to continue to run the bike but you should have stopped the very second the gear indicator changed.

Lastly, this is a very uncommon problem and I know of only two instances prior to this one since the forum started and those involved broken shift pins. One other was reported but that was conjecture on our part and no follow up was done by the member reporting. As to Honda knowing about a problem, the trouble code gave the problem away. If it was a common problem, the technician would have been able to recognize the problem fairly quickly. The fact he had to call technical support to find out what the trouble code indicated would also indicate its not a common problem or it would be published in a service bulletin.

· Registered
442 Posts
NDN GVR and Ira both had a bolt come loose. A short while back, someone mentioned that there were a bunch in Europe with the loose star bolt. If the fix is red locktite, which takes 250+ degrees to loosen, methinks the problem is not so uncommon.

· Premium Member
11,750 Posts
NDN GVR and Ira both had a bolt come loose. A short while back, someone mentioned that there were a bunch in Europe with the loose star bolt. If the fix is red locktite, which takes 250+ degrees to loosen, methinks the problem is not so uncommon.
Not true. There were two on the German NC700X site back in 2015 who claimed they had shifter pin problems. The first followed up and the second was a me too type of report but no follow up.

· Registered
442 Posts
Not true. There were two on the German NC700X site back in 2015 who claimed they had shifter pin problems. The first followed up and the second was a me too type of report but no follow up.
The problem is not every owner joins forums. I knew Burgman, Goldwing and Harley owners who never belonged to their bikes forums. I joined the Harley, Volusia, Burgman and CTX forums because I had questions to ask. Would I have joined if I had no questions? Can't really say. The only way to tell if a problem is not so rare would be if service departments reported issues to a searchable clearing house.

· Registered
8 Posts
JFC77320, I did not shift into neutral at the light. The tranny was in S mode, and simply didn't engage. When the shift indicator indicated a "-" I had less than 5 miles to my destination. If it happened closer to home I would have stopped right then, but I decided to finish the last few miles if I could. I knew this was a gamble.

· Registered
348 Posts
...Not true. ...

Just this moment on another forum, cattmando from Vincennes, IN is "reporting live" his process of repairing Shift Drum Center Bolt (Shifter Pin) which came loose. He's got hunch from this tread just yesterday.
There is Makman from UK Motorbike forum had broken shifter pin on his 2013 NC Integra, 21k miles.

There were guys from Australia, more from UK, Slovakia, Greece. That's only small part of owners.

You accuse others of lying about things you know nothing about.

No surprise that people don't follow up with their reporting when they're getting ignorant response like yours.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
Taking about people reporting (or not) problems on the internet, as if you have data of the whole web, and having no clue how many owners do not use forums at all is plain silly...

Reactions: Mdaniels4

· Premium Member
11,750 Posts
Just this moment on another forum, cattmando from Vincennes, IN is "reporting live" his process of repairing Shift Drum Center Bolt (Shifter Pin) which came loose. He's got hunch from this tread just yesterday.
There is Makman from UK Motorbike forum had broken shifter pin on his 2013 NC Integra, 21k miles.

There were guys from Australia, more from UK, Slovakia, Greece. That's only small part of owners.

You accuse others of lying about things you know nothing about.

No surprise that people don't follow up with their reporting when they're getting ignorant response like yours.
The only one being ignorant is you. The problem with these type of threads is once its reported, it becomes Gospel for every other problem involving the DCT whether its right or wrong. One person reports a shifter pin problem and suddenly everyone is having shifter pin problems. Another person reports a loose shift drum bolt ( completely different issue) and suddenly this is the cause of all DCT problems till someone else comes up with something new. Your own example of "cattmando" from another forum fixing a loose shift drum bolt based on information from this thread from yesterdays post just proves what I'm saying.

People all over the world read this forum and any search engine will direct them to this site when searching for a specific issue concerning the CTX. The same goes for the NC700X site. If you go back and follow up, you will find either the same instance is referenced multiple times by other members there by generating links or "me too" reference posts with no information other than the same original report. This makes it look like there are many reports when its just the same report published over and over again.

The truth is there are numerous reasons why the DCT can get hung up or go into safe mode and not let a rider ride it. Most often its rider error and the problem resolves itself. In a fairly few instances, its a mechanical issue. Considering your dealing with a complicated mechanical device, its not unusual to have a few failures. In the case of the bolt, it requires a light locking agent and torqued to 17 lb.-ft. You would definitely not want to use Red Loctite on the bolt.

· Registered
442 Posts
You would use red loctite when the bolt you are using it on isn't easily accessible, and not an item that you routinely tighten. When you have to remove seals and clutch assemblies just to get to a bolt, that is not supposed to come loose, red loctite is the cure. That was used at work, when a piece of machinery had to be partially disassembled, just to get to the loose innards. Generally would only happen once. Red loctite it.

· Premium Member
11,750 Posts
You would use red loctite when the bolt you are using it on isn't easily accessible, and not an item that you routinely tighten. When you have to remove seals and clutch assemblies just to get to a bolt, that is not supposed to come loose, red loctite is the cure. That was used at work, when a piece of machinery had to be partially disassembled, just to get to the loose innards. Generally would only happen once. Red loctite it.
Honda only recommends using a medium strength locking agent (blue) to allow disassembly with hand/power tools. Using a high strength locking agent (red) makes disassembly difficult or near impossible without using heat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread-locking_fluid

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi! I too had the same problem with my ctx! bike locked in the third gear! brought to the Honda workshop and have quickly solved under warranty! they told me that there was a bolt that was not good! now it's always good without a problem!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts