CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I'm a reader of this forum since 2016, the year that I bought my 2015 Honda CTX700n DCT.

Last Thursday I went to a quick commute, 12 miles, getting close to my destination I stopped at an intersection and then I realize the 4th gear was selected. I was able to move the motorcycle (which means the clutch/neutral was working properly). I had to turn it off, I waited for a few minutes and then turned the key to the on position. The gear downshifted to 3rd, but I was not able to select the gear mode or manually change it. Off again, waited, 2nd, off, wait, 1st.

I tried to move the motorcycle, riding ok, but on the gear shifting a clicking noise appears (like when you don't pull fully the clutch). I switched to manual mode and I was able to ride back home. I can't shift to the 5th gear, otherwise, it will be stuck on the 4th again.

Friday I rode to my dealer and since I did not have a scheduled visit I had to wait to hear back from them.

I just got a call from the dealer. They're able to check the error (4th gear stuck), but not the reason. They will now call Honda to help them to understand what is going on, once all sensor indicates that there is nothing wrong.

Does anyone hear about this issue? I love my CTX700n but my trust is hurt, I'm glad the error happened once I was stopped and not on the highway.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi Allan. First of all, welcome to the forum. I have heard of it being stuck in a gear and where you had to roll the bike forward or backward to get the speed sensor to read and correct itself. I have a 2014 DCT I bought new. How many miles have you got on it so far, 17,000 on mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Allan. First of all, welcome to the forum. I have heard of it being stuck in a gear and where you had to roll the bike forward or backward to get the speed sensor to read and correct itself. I have a 2014 DCT I bought new. How many miles have you got on it so far, 17,000 on mine.
I have tried to move it. The other issue is a dash that appears instead of the gear number. I also tried to reset the DCT.

The big thing now is that even the mechanics at the dealer cannot find the problem (even using the sensors). I bought it brand new. After 18 months she has only 3,300 miles on it. It's a "new" bike, but there is no warranty anymore.

So, there are two main issues:

Gear stuck on 4th.
Dash on the gear display at the dashboard (DCT malfunction).

·
Registered
435 Posts
When my battery was weak I couldn't get rid of the "--" dash mark in the gear display. I was freaking out thinking the DCT was broken. I threw the bike on a battery charger for an hour, came back and all was well again. I didn't even know the battery was weak, everything else seemed normal. But that is what the culprit was. Hopefully your fix will be that easy.

Reactions: khaosCTX and fjones

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my battery was weak I couldn't get rid of the "--" dash mark in the gear display. I was freaking out thinking the DCT was broken. I threw the bike on a battery charger for an hour, came back and all was well again. I didn't even know the battery was weak, everything else seemed normal. But that is what the culprit was. Hopefully your fix will be that easy.
That's some good information.

I will let them know. Let's see what Honda will say about the issue.

Thank you!

·
Registered
345 Posts
The wife had a dn01 which had the precursor transmission to the 700 dct well the battery got low while we were on vacation 2 years ago got another battery from a dealer but it was not the same battery that was ment for her bike put it in the bike same problem that your having had to have bike flat beaded home cost $690.00 got the right battery from local dealer put it in started right up dash disappeared every thing was good. Make sure you get the battery that is ment for the bike

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bad battery???
When my battery was weak I couldn't get rid of the "--" dash mark in the gear display.
I know the 2014 in question was "new" 18 months ago, but Lead Acid doesn't like to sit for two years not being used.

My own 2014 was new in October, 2016. After the first service, she didn't want to start. The dealer checked and replaced my battery free. Now my manual had no DCT problems of course (no DCT, no problem), but the first time I cranked the key with the new battery she purred to life easier than ever and I knew right away the first battery had been bad since I picked it up.

Whatever the cause, I hope they get you on the road by the time a real spring arrives.

·
Premium Member
11,750 Posts
Unfortunately you reset the PCM so if there were any trouble codes, you deleted them. You should always check first before going this route. More than likely, you have a loose connection somewhere or bad ground causing the issue since the information center reads exactly what the PCM is telling it. A bad battery can also wreak havoc with the system but there are usually other signs the battery is going bad. Mechanically speaking, the DCT has an excellent service record with very few instances of mechanical failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately you reset the PCM so if there were any trouble codes, you deleted them. You should always check first before going this route. More than likely, you have a loose connection somewhere or bad ground causing the issue since the information center reads exactly what the PCM is telling it. A bad battery can also wreak havoc with the system but there are usually other signs the battery is going bad. Mechanically speaking, the DCT has an excellent service record with very few instances of mechanical failure.
I have no warranty, so I had to try everything before sending it to the dealer. I started this thread because even a Honda service center (where I bought my motorcycle), was not able to find the reason for the problem. The battery was checked every service that I did, I'm pretty sure they checked it as the "main" maintenance they do every time they work on my bike.

They're able to replicate the exact error, so the DCT system should have the data regarding this issue. But, they're not able to find the root of the problem, so they're calling Honda for assistance. And this is why I created this topic. To see what Honda will do.

The motorcycle is new, 18 months, 3k miles on the clock. That was not supposed to be happening.

Can be the battery, but the battery is only used to start the bike right? After the start the engine should provide energy for the system, right?

Anyways, the moment that I get new information from the dealer, I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
348 Posts
...Can be the battery, but the battery is only used to start the bike right? After the start the engine should provide energy for the system, right?...
Of course you right. It's not a battery.
Similar problem with DCT happened in U.K., Greece and Down Under.
And the problem was the same - gearshift drum shifter pin (in service manual - shift drum center bolt). Cost about $7.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spring? I use my motorcycle to commute to work every day. It's being really hard for me to get to/from work. =(
Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in. I also have the CTX as my only "work car/mini-truck" so I have a small idea how you feel. At least on bad days I can take the lady's van and leave her stranded at home, or sometimes she takes me in and tried to guess when to pick me up after work.
Two years ago we had only the van between us and she had to take me in every time she wanted freedom. We're both so happy I have the bike now!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
So, I just called the dealer. They tested electric system, and the problem was not found. Now they will focus on the clutch itself.

But so far no answer on what's is going on, how much time and cost to fix it.

=(
Keep us posted on this Allan. Lots of interest.

Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Standing by for answers as well.

Don't like these stories where a fix is a mystery.

I had a 2014 VW GTI. One morning I went to start it and it was stone cold dead.

It took the shop three weeks to even find the issue.

Dead short in an electric window switch. They had to manually troubleshoot that problem. None of the computer diagnostics would turn it up.

Very frustrating.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts