CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found on page 86 of my owners manual a section on checking the "drive chain slider". Like so many other things when looking at them for the first time I'm not sure I'm seeing a wear limit line. I've adjusted the chain a couple of times (6500 miles on bike now) but never realized that this rubber chain guard/guide was a maintenance item. Has anyone had to have it replaced? Is the chain designed to "slide" on this piece continually when driving? I've always found it hard to measure 1 inch to 1.4 inches of slack on the bottom of the chain without pushing it into this "drive chain slider" when I'm where I think the center between the sprockets is, so I usually measure the slack towards the rear wheel to get away from the rubber guide/slider.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think you are the first person to ever mention this. You will notice a ridge that protrudes up from the flat part of the rubber that straddles the middle of the underneath of the chain. I think once this is worn down to the flat part that it is considered worn out. There are people here with over 100000 miles with no mention of replacing it. I think the height of the front sprocket keeps the chain above it 99% of the time. I use the Motion Pro Slacksetter Chain Adjustment Tool. For the price you can’t beat it. I also use the depth gauge part of a cheap dial caliper from Harbor Freight to adjust the alignment. I measure from the back of the swing arm cap to the adjuster edge and then just hold it up to the other side. Quick and easy.

I always err on a little too loose rather than a little too tight. Too tight a chain can put stress on the countershaft and its oil seal and since the oil seal has an inner lip it looks like it can only be replaced from the inside which means splitting the cases so best to avoid creating that scenario.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts