CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating with myself whether or not to get the heated grips. I have a really hard time keeping my fingers warm in the winter, even on a short 3mi ride. I have tried Hot Hands and layered gloves but still freezing fingers. What do you more experienced riders think?

·
Registered
36 Posts
heated grips are not perfect but yes they do work.
They're not perfect 'cos when it's really cold and you're travelling fast, the outer front side still cools down. Answer is hand guards but that brings up a whole new set of problems. IMO heated grips is a good compromise.

I've found on roadtrips when it gets to evening and starting to feel cold, turning on the heated grips is like a warm drip feed that affects the whole body, and that's in summer.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I had heated grips on a VFR I owned. Yes they worked well but like said by someone else the outer part of your hand will be cooler. I have not tried heated gloves but rarely ride far under 40 degrees (only 5 miles to work). It had a nice rotating knob that regulated them quite well. So if you get heated grips, get a totally variable control rather than on or off or 2 or 3 settings. Also they should be wired from a fused relay as to not overload the charging circuit should they short out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like my heated grips on the wing, in the Midwest they will extend ridin season a bit. The wing has the permanently mountd. I also have a set of Velcro wrap arrounds. Easy to take off & I used the battery tender plug with a rheostat and fuse installed. They work good too for the second and third bikes. Come off for the summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the heated grips on my CTX. They don't seem to be very effective. I had them on for my trip home last night and essentially forgot that they were suppose to be heating. I was wearing icon pursuit gloves, so very thin. They didn't seem to warm up much at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
suggest there's something wrong. General advice is to start with them at max then turn them down. My experience is that you have to turn them down anyway 'cos they get very hot, and even running at low they stay pretty hot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a thread bump:

I am considering the heated grips for my CTX. Anybody else had any experience with them on the CTX? Honda does offer the grips as a option, but at a fairly steep price.

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
I kept the Hippohands from my previous ride 2005 VTX1800C- I will add hand guards soon and the Hippohands will cocoon around my grips. THEN, I will have Honda install the heated accessory I got with my bike purchase! TOASTY! Combine that with Corbin HEATED seat, and I am ready to ride winter in Alaska! (or highway 395 between Carson City and Lee Vining)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Gerbing heated gloves that work very well. The wiring in the gloves doesn't reach all the way to the fingertips but there's plenty of heat to keep your hands warm. I've had heated grips on my previous FJR and loved them. When it isn't too cold I can wear regular gloves that are less bulky than heated ones and get the better feel of the throttle while heating my hands with the grips. I just ordered the heated grips for my CTX. Although pricy I think they are worth the cost. If you do decide to get the heated grips be sure to get the 3 parts - grips, connector parts, and sub harness. If you look at the Honda web site for the accessories, you can click on the heated grips item and the pop up will indicate the other 2 parts required.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have used the Aerostitch warm wrap grips for years. ($47.00) in the latest catalog. On many different bikes w/o problems, I also had heated grips on my wing.

The wraps have an sae plug so I just snake a line up from the batt tender plug to plug them in , I take them off for summer ridin, I have put an on/off switch because they get HOT.
Heated grips extend my season on both ends of winter. You can wearlighter gloves too. If you have hand guards they will work even better.

I like them and I like the portability of the wraps . Permanent heated grips work well too. Shop around, I do not have the honda oem for this bike, but I am willing to bet you can beat their price with another quality brand. Ask others what brand they have to find out the most popular. Good lunck & warm hands.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They also work better at higher rpm (better alt output), with the CTX's tendency (auto) to get to the highest gear & lowest rpm that might affect performance of the grips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got my heated grips installed. I had ordered the correct 3 parts indicated on the Honda accessories page but my shop had to do some adjustments. There seemed to be a sub harness missing, the color coding didn't match up, and there was a female/male connector mix-up. My shop was able to overcome those problems. The service manager said he has seen heated grips that were not made well but that the ones from Honda were quality parts. The install looks like the grips came with the bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I had the dealer install the Honda Heated Grips on my CTX before delivery. I have used them many times and they work great. I also have and use Gerbings Electric gloves but it is nice to use a thinner glove and just turn on the heaters either early in the am or at night.

Start at the highest temp (3 flashes) and you will be going down to position 2 and then 1 soon enough. They get hot and I love it. It feels like a luxury!

Ride on!

Red Rider:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Honda OEM heated grips work great in Florida

Work well for those cool Florida rides ....

Not kidding they work well and heat fast

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got them on my CTX and I like them. They did cost a lot but they do work. I would get them on my next bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Heated grips work well, they even come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. But you should really have some kind of wind protection too. If you don't mind the look, plastic hand guards work well. (Google motorcycle hand guards). :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had heated grips on my Boulevard and they did well at keeping my palms warm. Inevitably my thumbs and back of my hands got cold. I skipped the heated grips with the CTX and I'll look into heated gloves instead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like Armdillo, I have had the Aerostitch warm wrap grips for a couple years. They work great, but I don't like having them on all year, the velcro wrap slips after a while, so I take them off during the warm months. This was easy to do to my last 2 bikes,but not too easy on the CTX. I just bought the Honda heated grips, but haven't installed them yet. I really like the built in switch in the left grip. I intend to be able to commute as long as possible, so I expect to be using the heated grips 3 or 4 months out of the year here in Pennsylvania.

So, is the sub-harness actually needed?
The heated grip instructions doesn't say anything about it.

Paul

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I purchased the Honda OEM heated grips and sub-harness, and will install next time I have reason to remove the Tupperware.

Yes, heated grips *in general* work. The handle bar being steel is a big-time heat sink in winter. Even heated gloves are not enough (for me). And the heated grips are not enough. It's analogous to sitting by a fire in winter . . . uncomfortably warm on one side and uncomfortably cold on the other. So I need the grips to keep my palm and inside finger curl warm, and the heated gloves to deal with the wind chill on the outside of the fist.

I installed OEM heated grips on my ST1300, and they work.

I had the dealer install OEM heated grips on my '12 Suzuki V-Strom 650, and they didn't work worth a darn. The dealer replaced them with Oxford heated grips, with five settings, and those work *much* better.

I ride all year in Northern Virginia, and only twice this past winter did I turn them to position four (80%) . . . temp 25oF in the morning.

That said, I echo the other posts, that heated grips should be used in conjunction with adjustable heated gloves. Add a heated jacket liner to that, and I've never needed anything else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts