CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering who buys this bike and which model?
I am 63, 200 lb, 5'10", 30" inseam.
I bought a black naked DCT which fits my size, shape and temperment extremely well.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in my mid fifties, 5'10" or so, 29 inch inseam, under 200 pounds. I have been riding larger touring bikes for years. I bought the CTX700D looking to build it into a nice smaller touring bike.

After all the effort I put into getting the wind protection sorted, I was looking at an aux tank for extra gas. Then I got a great deal on a proper large Triumph touring bike. I demoted the CTX to secondary status.

I still expect to get about 6,000 miles per year on the CTX just riding to work and making small local runs (under 400 miles per day). I may ride it to Nashville once or twice per year.

If I get a great deal on a CTX1300, I'll consider trading up. But it will have to be a really good deal for me to give up the DCT.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
me

I am 6 feet tall, around 262 pounds
Wanted a newer bike, came from a Burgman 650
Liked the automatic shifting
Bought a red DCT

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm 5.7 feet 165 pounds, came from Kawa Vulcan 500. Bought red CTX with ABS DCT, using for commute from home to work (about 14 round trip miles a day).

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I am 6 feet tall, around 262 pounds
Wanted a newer bike, came from a Burgman 650
Liked the automatic shifting
Bought a red DCT
6' 220 central NJ. Getting mine soon 700 red DCT as well!
See you on the road!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 250lbs. 65 years old. Re-entering riding after a 40 year lapse. Original bike was a Triumph Tiger 650. Did about 15,000 miles around the US after USMC and college. This is going to be an interesting experience after all these years...my new CTX700D arrinves next Wednesday afternoon. As cold as it is now in Iowa, I'll have to enjoy just sitting on it in the garage for awhile. Plan on doing short to medium touring from my home base here. The Triumph was a fine bike for that time, but the CTX is light years beyond it. This is going to be fun!:)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 250lbs. 65 years old. Re-entering riding after a 40 year lapse. Original bike was a Triumph Tiger 650. Did about 15,000 miles around the US after USMC and college. This is going to be an interesting experience after all these years...my new CTX700D arrinves next Wednesday afternoon. As cold as it is now in Iowa, I'll have to enjoy just sitting on it in the garage for awhile. Plan on doing short to medium touring from my home base here. The Triumph was a fine bike for that time, but the CTX is light years beyond it. This is going to be fun!:)
Hi Pathrunner, and soon to be owner.
I hit 65 Sunday. Started riding in 1963, had about 7 bikes before I stopped riding for 32 years for many reasons. Then in 2009 started again and now 18 bikes later I own 2 with one being a CTX700N. Seems a lot of us old farts like the light weight and low seat height and many other features of the CTX. If you really get back into loving to ride, investigate heated gear for cold weather. this is my first year with it and I ride now when 40 degrees or above and love it.

Have all the fun you can with it after next Wednesday.

Reactions: Pathrunner

·
Registered
115 Posts
5'11, 185 lbs, turning 40 in a couple weeks. bought the ctx700 because i wanted a chill commuter bike in the stable. when i want a little, ah, brisker fun, i ride my sfv650. (i also have a little piaggio fly 150 for groceries and rattin' about the city.)

that said, i'd like to do more slab touring and since my carpal seems to be doing fine after surgery #3, i may trade it up to a ctx1300 (or a ninja 1000) next year and use the zook for commute duties. we shall see!

·
Registered
162 Posts
5'5 153 lbs. Cee Bailey small on a red 700D. Absolutely love it. Ride in 35 degrees or warmer. No heated gear just hand guards to block the wind. ARMY STRONG!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
5'11", 40, 31" inseam (i hate buying pants.. either too long or too short). 260 lbs (was 320 lbs at the beginning of September..) have an ultimate goal of about 210 lbs. Riding a motorcycle was a bucket list item for me. I wanted something that got good fuel economy and enough power to drive well, but not enough to tempt me to push it and kill myself. I'm using the bike as a commute vehicle now and drive about 40 miles/day.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Daily, highway commuter; 55-miles per day; down to 19 degrees with new, battery-operated heated gloves. Started riding in 2012 with a Piaggio BV350 scooter. Became disillusioned with scooters a little after learning about the CVT service required that comes along a little too often for those piling up the miles like myself. Would still be a scooter owner if not for this bike, however, as I would ride only something that is efficient, comfortable, easy-to-ride, and not too pricey.

I'm a 49 year-old male; 5'8", 150 lbs, 30.5 inseam. Bike fits me perfectly. Still working on trying to reduce the wind noise and still get 70 mpg.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I bought my wife the CTX700D. She is 5' 0", 100 lbs., 49 yrs young, inseam unsure of but short. She has several hundred thousand miles of riding experience. This bike was purchased to be a traveler. We like to ride long distance during our summer vacations. She rode it two weeks after owning from Florida to Michigan and back. She has two other bikes but has not ridden them much since owning this one. She loves the bike and is using it for all her riding needs now (short commutes, long travel and weekend jaunts). Windshield extension fixed wind issues for her, but she is small framed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bought my wife the red CTXN with saddlebags and we added a Mastad windshield. She's 5'3" with a 20-inch inseam. Fits her beautifully and much more agile than the V-Star 650 she recently had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
5’ 10”, 46 with 30” inseam. Use my 700n to white line in Southern California 45 miles to work. Have Triumph Bonneville and Victory Kingpin, but this bike is fun. Purchased in May and have 6500 fun miles logged.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bought my wife the red CTXN with saddlebags and we added a Mastad windshield. She's 5'3" with a 20-inch inseam. Fits her beautifully and much more agile than the V-Star 650 she recently had.
I've been corrected by HondaGirl. 28-inch inseam.

·
Registered
89 Posts
59, 5'5", 225lbs. Riding 40 years. Switched to scooters in 2003 and have had 30 or more since. Currently the CTX plus a Silver Wing and a Vespa.

Hoping to keep the bike despite some hip/back pain from it as I've been really enjoying riding it.

Retired so all riding is pleasure now, no commuting!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am 6'0", 205 lbs with a 33" inseam. I have the Red 700N 6 speed with a 20" Madstad windshield. I rode bikes on and off over the years (just turned 50 in Oct.) since I was a teenager but this is the first bike I have owned and I am loving it. Can't wait for spring to arrive either. Living in Northern Illinois means a short riding season for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
downsized

I am 6'1", 260, 32" inseam, 45, 25 years riding variety of street bikes and one dual sport KLR650.

I was tired of commuting 40 miles a day on my 900 pound VTX1800C. Too much weight to push around. Not bad for road trips, but honestly, I had to modify her extensively for overnights and beyond. I commute mostly, and CTX700ND perfect for me now. I like cruiser postioning, but NOT 30MPG average of VTX1800C. My CTX averages 55MPG spirited commuting in Sport mode (50 if I push it hard), and I have achieved 75MPG up in the mountains in Drive just putting along and enjoying the scenery.

I will keep this bike forever, and add another style motorcycle in a few years. One bike cannot do it all for me, but it can do MOST of what I need, commute and overnighters. Later, I add Gold Wing or Indian or Victory Vision for long distance trips.

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 6'1", 260, 32" inseam, 45, 25 years riding variety of street bikes and one dual sport KLR650.

I was tired of commuting 40 miles a day on my 900 pound VTX1800C. Too much weight to push around. Not bad for road trips, but honestly, I had to modify her extensively for overnights and beyond. I commute mostly, and CTX700ND perfect for me now. I like cruiser postioning, but NOT 30MPG average of VTX1800C. My CTX averages 55MPG spirited commuting in Sport mode (50 if I push it hard), and I have achieved 75MPG up in the mountains in Drive just putting along and enjoying the scenery.

I will keep this bike forever, and add another style motorcycle in a few years. One bike cannot do it all for me, but it can do MOST of what I need, commute and overnighters. Later, I add Gold Wing or Indian or Victory Vision for long distance trips.
did you go with the nd because of a better fit? Did your legs hit the fairings? I am curious because you seem to have the same size i do 6'2" 250lbs 32 inseam

1 - 20 of 25 Posts