CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up a string of LED lights to my bike (2014 DCT) and 15 min minutes into my ride, the display stoped working. Bike kept running great.

Changed out the fuse, still not working.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
check what you installed/spliced and anything around it that you may have disturbed with panel removal....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Ya I disconnected everything, hooked the battery back up, somethings up. going to replace all the fuses today.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
How old is your battery? If it is still the original or 3 years or older, I would start off with that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was working fin until I hooked up the LED lights, and the bike is running great . Everything was fine until I hoooked up the lights. Stupid lights. Trying to look cool. Bad mistake, never works out

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
How exactly did you install the LEDs? Unless you cut something or pulled something while installing the LED's, I can not understand how it would affect the display.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, simply placed the wires on my battery, Not sure what the heck happend. something's off though

·
Registered
318 Posts
If your horn, brake lights, hazard lights are working (fuse # 6), disconnect the connector from the combination meter and plug it back in. If it still does not work, i.e. the problem is inside the combination meter.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It sounds like you may have those lights connected in series (an electrical term) and the light string failed somewhere. If you have power to the display and it does not work it may be bad, you will need a Volt meter to test for voltage, you could use a meter to check fuses and battery. I hope you get it fixed soon "it's" ridin time"!

·
Registered
634 Posts
If your horn, brake lights, hazard lights are working (fuse # 6), disconnect the connector from the combination meter and plug it back in. If it still does not work, i.e. the problem is inside the combination meter.
Agree. If the additional lights are wired directly to the battery or terminal block, then I am with Ares301 that the display (combination meter) failure is likely coincidental. That presumes you did not alter the circuit that powers your display while you were creating a direct connection to the battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out it is was user error (me be the user). I had a broken turn signal, long story short, I had to splice the wires to the turn signal and I did not cap them or wrap them in electrical tape (dumb). The fuse was blown because the exposed wires that I did not cape kept touching and shorting out and blowing the fuse. live and learn and don't be lazy and not cap off your live wires

·
Registered
776 Posts
Turns out it is was user error (me be the user). I had a broken turn signal, long story short, I had to splice the wires to the turn signal and I did not cap them or wrap them in electrical tape (dumb). The fuse was blown because the exposed wires that I did not cape kept touching and shorting out and blowing the fuse. live and learn and don't be lazy and not cap off your live wires
Good on you for finding the issue and for admitting your mistake. (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts