CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are definitely some good, even great, engineering elements to the CTX. However, it seems that total engineering is not within the Honda company's grasp.
To wit:
1) The tall engineering windshield was not designed by engineers, rather by marketing folks with the possible aid of engineering interns. The tall windshield is worse than no windshield at all. It increases head buffeting, forces the head down, and costs 13% in gas mileage.

2) The gas tank is rediculously small AND difficult to fill up. The gas station hoses (in California) will not even fit in the tank causing a safety and vapor issue. Having to fill up a commuter motorcycle every day is insane.

3) The CTX700 is at least 100 pounds overweight. This causes the underwhelming power of the CTX to be seriously stressed....no margin for emergency situations as occur almost every day on the freeway.

4) The fairing is nice, BUT...the lack of a serious lower fairing costs wind drag and makes for cold feet in the winter.

5) Visible motorcycles mean enhanced SAFETY. Black and dark red do not qualify. We need a pearlized yellow and all mirror chrome paint options. Honda has a very visible yellow on their flagship tourers so they are equipped to make it happen. Enhanced LED lighting for both normal riding and for braking would also increase the SAFETY of the riders. Many motorcyclists are killed from behind.

Honda used to be famous for engineering talent. We should all let Honda know that bean-counters and marketeers do not make great motorcycles.

And, yes, I am an engineer (PhD level).

Cheers!

·
Banned
463 Posts
Sounds like you didn't do your due diligence before you bought this underengineered piece of crap.
Next step is to apply to Honda for a job.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i agree on the tall shield, but 100 pounds overweight WHAT? even the nc700x in a non cruiser steel frame is a wet 470! shaving off 100 lbs (of what on a 679cc bike) would make it 417 lbs wet, comparable to a little ducati monster with an expensive aluminum trellis and wheels. frankly, weight is not an issue with this bike, and if they moved to aluminum components, we'd be looking at a 13-15k otd price on the high end (dct/abs) rather than 10k -- and the folks that can afford the former aren't looking at a plasticky honda commuter cruiser...

yellow and mirror finish don't sell. the good news is that paint is easily applied and ancillary led lighting is easily installed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i've had no issue filling up the tank at wa state's vapor seal pumps, btw. o_O

holistically, i'm amazed at what honda has done to really balance this bike, and have it come in at such a sane price. my complaints revolve more around a few fit-and-finish nitpicks, which are manufacturing issues and not engineering ones.

may i suggest a ducati diavel?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Although I disagree with several of DrLew's criticisms, the main point, which is that the bike's weaknesses are most likely due to the marketing department having had too much involvement in design is valid in my opinion. I'm sure designing to a certain price point influenced things as well.

I would add that there is a white CTX available if you want to be more visible. You can also increase your visibility by choice of riding gear. After having many black motorcycles, I feel a lot more "noticed" on my red CTX and color coordinated riding gear.

My main design gripe is the too far forward pegs. With the fairing equipped model with optional bags, it appears that engineering wanted to use design cues from the Gold Wing. Marketing probably insisted on a nod to cruisers with the seating position. Another nod to cruisers that marketing probably insisted upon was fiddling with the engine to artificially throb like a V-twin. That I can easily overlook but not the seating position.

When I saw the CTX700 I thought I saw a worthy successor to the early 80's Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate. I'm still trying to sort out the seating position with some floorboards. With a more standard riding position this bike could be one of the best middleweights Honda has ever made.

If I can't get the seating position sorted to the extent that I can a least ride for an hour without a backache I'll probably trade for something else. Problem is there aren't many standard or sport touring options in the middleweight category (unless you want to spend around $17 -18K for the new BMW F 800 GT.).

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are definitely some good, even great, engineering elements to the CTX. However, it seems that total engineering is not within the Honda company's grasp.
To wit:
1) The tall engineering windshield was not designed by engineers, rather by marketing folks with the possible aid of engineering interns. The tall windshield is worse than no windshield at all. It increases head buffeting, forces the head down, and costs 13% in gas mileage.

2) The gas tank is rediculously small AND difficult to fill up. The gas station hoses (in California) will not even fit in the tank causing a safety and vapor issue. Having to fill up a commuter motorcycle every day is insane.

3) The CTX700 is at least 100 pounds overweight. This causes the underwhelming power of the CTX to be seriously stressed....no margin for emergency situations as occur almost every day on the freeway.

4) The fairing is nice, BUT...the lack of a serious lower fairing costs wind drag and makes for cold feet in the winter.

5) Visible motorcycles mean enhanced SAFETY. Black and dark red do not qualify. We need a pearlized yellow and all mirror chrome paint options. Honda has a very visible yellow on their flagship tourers so they are equipped to make it happen. Enhanced LED lighting for both normal riding and for braking would also increase the SAFETY of the riders. Many motorcyclists are killed from behind.

Honda used to be famous for engineering talent. We should all let Honda know that bean-counters and marketeers do not make great motorcycles.

Cheers!
If you are REAL PhD engineer you should be able to afford to buy something you like. For the rest of us this is a great bike.
P.S. Do not bad mouth your own kind.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Although I disagree with several of DrLew's criticisms, the main point, which is that the bike's weaknesses are most likely due to the marketing department having had too much involvement in design is valid in my opinion. I'm sure designing to a certain price point influenced things as well.

I would add that there is a white CTX available if you want to be more visible. You can also increase your visibility by choice of riding gear. After having many black motorcycles, I feel a lot more "noticed" on my red CTX and color coordinated riding gear.

My main design gripe is the too far forward pegs. With the fairing equipped model with optional bags, it appears that engineering wanted to use design cues from the Gold Wing. Marketing probably insisted on a nod to cruisers with the seating position. Another nod to cruisers that marketing probably insisted upon was fiddling with the engine to artificially throb like a V-twin. That I can easily overlook but not the seating position.

When I saw the CTX700 I thought I saw a worthy successor to the early 80's Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate. I'm still trying to sort out the seating position with some floorboards. With a more standard riding position this bike could be one of the best middleweights Honda has ever made.

If I can't get the seating position sorted to the extent that I can a least ride for an hour without a backache I'll probably trade for something else. Problem is there aren't many standard or sport touring options in the middleweight category (unless you want to spend around $17 -18K for the new BMW F 800 GT.).

I posted a thread on floorboards that are less than 100.00 and work very well for my 5'4" wife.

·
Registered
309 Posts
To wit:

Cheers!
Really? Man, you need to go buy a yellow bike somewhere. Or get high vis clothing. This bike is not designed to be as light as other bikes and that would drive up the cost. I have no issues with acceleration, or stopping, or the seat, etc. Maybe because this is my first bike and I don't know any better, but when I test rode this and other bikes, this one felt the best to me as far as comfort. My only grip is that it doesn't have more chrome, but that would drive the price up too. So I'm content and I'll add my after market accessories as time goes and money comes.

TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE :)

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
If your that unhappy, sell it! There are a thousand different bikes out there, find one that suits you before you buy one Doc~?

·
Registered
90 Posts
With such a low seat height your legs have to go somewhere. Put mid mounted pegs on this bike and see what happens to your legs. Can you spell pretzel?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
This thread is funny. I have and FZ-09 on order. Am I bad mouthing the CTX. NO, because I still like it. It is doing what Honda designed it to do at a price that keeps them in business which I want them in business. It may look like a touring bike but really, did you think a small HP engine would let you ride in the 80mph fast lane all day, be reallistic?

The new Fz-09 has things missing from the CTX, so what? Like I said in the past, no bike does it all. So, I will have 2 different bikes. Surely one should realize One tall wind screen doesn't fit everyone. Honda should have offered different size tall ones (like Harley does) but they don't aftermarket accessories take time or never come and anyone owning a bike for any length of time knows this.

Sell it or ride it, just quit bitching about it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
pfft

To wit:

Cheers!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; no one is entitled to their own facts. Think your little thesis is defensible??
Not. Epic Fail.

Ride Safe; Ride Often,
f

·
Registered
51 Posts
Really? Man, you need to go buy a yellow bike somewhere. Or get high vis clothing. This bike is not designed to be as light as other bikes and that would drive up the cost. I have no issues with acceleration, or stopping, or the seat, etc. Maybe because this is my first bike and I don't know any better, but when I test rode this and other bikes, this one felt the best to me as far as comfort. My only grip is that it doesn't have more chrome, but that would drive the price up too. So I'm content and I'll add my after market accessories as time goes and money comes.

TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE :)

Amen to the clothing. People don't see my gas tank's color, but they sure as heck see my hi-vis green jacket. And the handling/weight is incredible. After throwing a leg over many different cruisers, shadows, boulevards, vulcans, etc., I loved the light weight and sporty feel of the ctx. The others felt like I was straddling a clydesdale. Sorry, but I think that Honda did a fantastic job of reaching their market: New riders.

Kind of funny, I did plenty of looking around before buying this bike and found that people are definitely set in their views. No one in other forums liked this hybrid-ish sport and cruiser design. They either touted their ninjas or their harleys, having nothing in between. Way to go Honda!

·
Registered
898 Posts
If the streets were paved with gold, some people would complain that it glares too much. Bill is correct in his statement that there are different bikes for different needs or desires. My wife doesn't seem to have any issues with the CTX, other than now she is spoiled and doesn't ride her other bikes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may look like a touring bike but really, did you think a small HP engine would let you ride in the 80mph fast lane all day, be reallistic?
Personally I would hope a 670cc engine would let you cruise at 80 mph all day...:confused: But I understand your point.

I bring up the same thing on the Rebel forum. People buy a Rebel and are disappointed with it's performance at 70+ mph, it gets kind of buzzy and at just slightly over 300 lbs. it get's "light on it's feet". Yes it will run at those speeds all day, but IMO it wasn't designed for that. I've said many times, if you bought a Rebel to ride at 70 mph+ all day, you bought the wrong bike."

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Style sells, engineering not as much especially noticeable in fairing and w/s design which has a great background going back to the early 80's.

Since I am short that eliminates a lot of bikes for me, yea I went thru lowering etc but the results were poor.

After 2,000 miles I am pleased with the CTX (only my second cruiser), just waiting for the right w/s. I would have preferred belt drive but I added a semi-automatic oiler for the chain.

I haven't found the perfect bike.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Personally I would hope a 670cc engine would let you cruise at 80 mph all day...:confused: But I understand your point.

I bring up the same thing on the Rebel forum. People buy a Rebel and are disappointed with it's performance at 70+ mph, it gets kind of buzzy and at just slightly over 300 lbs. it get's "light on it's feet". Yes it will run at those speeds all day, but IMO it wasn't designed for that. I've said many times, if you bought a Rebel to ride at 70 mph+ all day, you bought the wrong bike."
The CC size is only part of an engine's power. The CTX has one intake and one exhaust split with Y shapes to get both cylinders. Also the low red line gives you less to work with where most bikes now turn 8500 or more. Yes, It will cruise all day at 75 or so but there is no reserve. By that I mean reserve to quickly accelerate or brake to get with the flow of the fast lane traffic moving 70-80 mph. You need power for that.

You understood my point and now you are looking at going up from your Rebel to another bike. Great if you wish. Just be sure that YOU get the bike YOU want. Decide how you will use it and what you really want out of it. If you do much freeway running, you should get more power for the same reason you say that to those getting a Rebel. Around town and on 55-65mph roads the CTX is well suited but so are other bikes. There are many choices available. Do your homework and end up happy about your choice because it fills the needs not just because it's brand new (everything new is great of course).
This is my two cents worth and also why I have a deposit on a FZ-09 Yamaha to go with my CTX.

·
Registered
975 Posts
There have been just as many complaints on this forum that the bike is too light as there are that it is too heavy. It's a matter of perspective and what kind of ride each is looking for. If one is comparing the CTX to other cruisers on the market like the Harley 883 choices, it is lighter and (maybe) with respect to some of those choices, is a little less stable for high-speed, highway touring. Others came to this bike as an alternative to a sport bike and think it too heavy. I tend to think it is a good compromise.

I too once thought that the fuel tank was too small until I realized that I can easily surpass 200 mile range via to the mpg.

If the engineers are so wrong minded, how did they produce a 52 hp, 44 peak foot lbs of torque, adult-size bike that weighs 500 lbs and can achieve 75 + mpg, that is smooth-running and shifting, comfortable and easy to ride, and get it to the customer for as little as $7,000.

Many of the wind issues mentioned on here, while true, are also true of most bikes that are not true touring bikes that are sub-$15K. Most bikes in this price category are going to require some more money to make them highway comfortable and tourable in other ways, i.e. luggage.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just to add to my previous post, I meant to address the gas inlet complaint of which I'm totally at a loss, because I see this as a huge plus on this bike. I know only the CTX and a Piaggio BV350 scooter with regards to filling up and one other Yamaha bike that I once filled up, so I'm not understanding how this could be much better than what I have on the CTX. The Yamaha was exactly the same as the CTX. On the CTX, I stick the nozzle in (here and TN) and can easily see and control the flow, and stop it when I'm ready and have plenty of time to react as the level reaches the top. None of this was true on the scooter (BV350). I could not see inside the tank while filling and if the auto shut off activated, it would splatter gas up and out of the tank and all over everything. With the scooter, I had to have an idea of how much it was going to hold; stop just short of what I expected; hold the nozzle right at the edge at an extreme angle, and then ease gas in the tank while looking to see the fuel level come up. The CTX is totally opposite, and I've got a huge area around the sides of the gas inlet to see what's going on inside. Do some bikes actually have larger diameter inlets than what the CTX has?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts