CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy and nighty
someone above said simply let off on the throttle. that will let the transmission shift as in under thirty it will shift down without being told to. another above said put it in manual. unfortunately that doesn't keep it from shifting down but will in most cases keep it from shifting up unless you tell it to. i still stand by my original answer which is try to maintain the speed you are at unless tragedy is iminent at which point prayer is the only answer and try to head for the least tragic space possible. been there and as someone else said i have had millions of miles in heavy trucking to suction to the seat and think scenarios through. I still think letting entirely off the throttle is likely not the best answer.

ken

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Not the same, but the bike will allow shifting to neutral while moving, as I do that routinely in the parking garage at work. The garage is built on a slope, and the entrance at one end is a floor above the designated motorcycle parking at the other. There is a long ramp, and as I turn onto the ramp I shift to neutral, then switch off the key - and coast to the motorcycle parking.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy mr joe
actually you never got to neutral on a dct while moving but when you shut off the ignition it begins to free wheel because there is no hydraulic force to engage the clutch. then you turn the key back on, and listen closely, you will hear the computer trying to get it to neutral. sometimes that will fail , so, word to the wise, not a good plan.
ken

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
So you were there ? At least the indicator shows the green "N". You may well be correct, as I did notice the "extra activity" on startup sometimes.

Not a good plan ? Why ? I've done that for about three years -- and, should I expect the bike to suddenly quit soon ?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy
well joe, there are many many many threads mentioning the correct procedure for shut down which are also specified in the owners' manual. i put over 22 thousand miles on mine and found that it will not got to neutral unless you are completely stopped. you may have been completely stopped at the top of the ramp but i assumed you were still moving. if you were completely stopped you may have reached neutral otherwise ? i have continually tried to go to neutral and coast into the garage but couldn't accomplish it. my comments are only to help with no other agenda since i know i'm not smart enough to feel superior.
ken

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad you made it out safe. I’d use the kill switch in this scenario regardless of bike transmission. If you lose traction/balance and release your clutch you’ll be in big trouble quick. No reason to roll through anything that looks like oil and potentially flammable liquid with a gasoline engine on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had this same question in 2014 when I bought my CTX. I called the Honda company in Torrance CA and had the fortune to talk to a tech rep. The computer runs the gearing and it makes all the decisions. There is no way to force a disengagement of the engine from the chassis (pull a clutch) above a given engine or bike speed. You cannot coast on a DCT bike above a given engine or wheel RPM. Personally, I like the DCT but coasting is an essential option on a bike or car when the terrain becomes unreliable. I still love the bike.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts