CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Not sure where to post this...first time on the forum.)
Just bought this bike from an out of town seller and had it shipped. 2015 with 12k miles. It shudders like the transmission is faulty or might be a miss...can't tell. First time on a DCT, but I know it should be smoother. Almost feels like the belt on my Burgman 400 CVT that was shuddering on take off.
Any suggestions before I take it to a mechanic?

Thanks
Fred
Marin County

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Sjazz. Can you give us a few more details?

Obviously, it can be any number of things. These DCTs seem to have very few problems. I think there was a member here who had a bad shift motor or pin. They are exceptionally sensitive to electrical issues such as a bad battery, rectifier, etc. I would test those systems.

The entire CTX system is almost identical to the NC700/750X. I would post the question over there too. Actually, when you have a DCT issue, you should post on all of the forums related to DCTs (CTX, VFR, NC700/750, Goldwing, Vultus, and their ATV forums). The reason I suggest that is that the problems are so rare you need a broader set of contributors to get your questions answered.

It is a very knowledgeable group here. They solve a lot of problems.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Download and save your owners manual and the service manual using the links below. They contain the information you will need to service the bike properly like adjusting the chain and specifically the procedure on checking the oil and what types of oil to use and not to use in the DCT. I would check everything from the front sprocket back to see if you’re getting the shudder vibration from the drive train first. These are the cheap and easy things to fix. Get the back wheel off the ground and spin the wheel. Is the chain too loose or way too tight? Are there any frozen links that won’t conform to the sprocket as it go’s round. Wiggle the back sprocket hub and wheel to check for excessive play or loose bearings.

If your handy with a wrench and can do your own work I would change the oil and both filters. This will most likely be the first thing the shop will do if you take it there since they have no idea what’s in there and its easy money. Having the correct amount of the recommended oil at the right viscosity is important for the clutch to operate properly and confirming this is where the diagnostics would begin. Hope this helps and good luck!!
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf
Owners Manuals - Honda

·
Registered
801 Posts
shuddering or lugging? The DCT keeps the rpm's low and will lug in all gears as it shifts up if you are just slowly ramping up the speed.

12k miles and you might want to check the valves and see if they need adjustment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
f your handy with a wrench and can do your own work I would change the oil and both filters. This will most likely be the first thing the shop will do if you take it there since they have no idea what’s in there and its easy money.
It sounds like oil may be your problem, if you decide to change it replace both filters and use 10w40 oil, not synthetic (it is easy to get a multitude of opinions about oil on this forum). Also you may like to use the "S" mode at all times until you get to where you can sustain 50+ mph, this will help you keep rpms up which eliminates the sensation you are feeling. The CTX 700 is a very dependable bike, I don't think you have a mechanical problem but are not accustomed to the way this bike feels, this same subject has been discussed many times on this forum. My bike gives the same sensation if I don't keep rpms up by shifting to a lower gear (you can shift while riding using the + - paddles)
Congrats on the new ride, get on that baby and ride I doubt it would let you down, welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
470 Posts
also; Drive mode will shift up @ lower speeds & maybe "lug" the engine, & Sport mode @ higher speeds (where I prefer shifting).
I only use motorcycle specific oil, meeting JASO T 903/MA specs per owners manual.
Good tips above.;) (especially note dgall, #3)

·
Registered
799 Posts
shuddering or lugging? The DCT keeps the rpm's low and will lug in all gears as it shifts up if you are just slowly ramping up the speed.

12k miles and you might want to check the valves and see if they need adjustment.
Of course if you hit the throttle you will be thrown back in the seat. Enough speed and power to be useful.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Of course if you hit the throttle you will be thrown back in the seat. Enough speed and power to be useful.
Hence my specification of slowly ramping up the speed....

·
Registered
759 Posts
A lot of people on here have ridden quite a variety of larger, more powerful and overall quicker bikes (ya ya, I know..) but my prior bike was a 500 cc Vulcan. I enjoyed it tremendously and had no problems keeping up with friends with their bikes (GWings, Statelines, Kawi Nomads) and was just as capable of getting speeding tickets if riding well above speed limits. When I got my CTX, I found the acceleration significant and was glad for my years riding to get used to how the bike would react and how I would react to it. Get used to your bike and become familiar with it, how it rides, how it sounds, how it feels and don't feel pressured to go faster or farther than you feel capable. The CTX is a fantastic bike but you still need to become familiar with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you experience the same shuddering in manual mode? Sometimes if the bike sits for long periods it can run a bit strange. Try running it a few more times to recreate the problem in various scenarios. (City, Highway, manual, sport modes)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely not a "lugging" sensation...makes the same vibrations in all gears and rpm's.
I will try changing the oil and filter(s). Someone also fecommended to reset the DCT. Found a very helpful video on that, so will try that too and report back :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the seller didn't ride it much. Was purchased then seller thought the bike too heavy so it might have sat for awhile.

·
Registered
234 Posts
(Not sure where to post this...first time on the forum.)
Just bought this bike from an out of town seller and had it shipped. 2015 with 12k miles. It shudders like the transmission is faulty or might be a miss...can't tell. First time on a DCT, but I know it should be smoother. Almost feels like the belt on my Burgman 400 CVT that was shuddering on take off.
Any suggestions before I take it to a mechanic?

Thanks
Fred
Marin County
Welcome to the Forum and lots of luck with your new bike....I love mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts