CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy do to all,

Let's have a discussion on shift points for the DCT. I can't seem to find anything definitive about gear change points in Drive and Sport modes. Anybody have a source? This is for acceleration data.

AND, for more fun, since the DCT comes with ABS, I'm betting that the downshift points are being modulated thru the ABS system, so as speed goes down [not just rpm's], the downshifts occur. I would think that IF that were so, the mode of Sport vs. Drive would have little to do with the downshift set points. This is for deceleration data.

I believe this is how paddle-shifted DCT sports cars work. But I have no data; just an opinion, at this point.

Have at it...

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have found that when I am driving it aggressively, whether in S or D, that occasionally 3rd gear will hang until high rpms and not upshift at all until I manually over-ride it. I was telling the dealer about this as I was having my intial break-in service work done. As we were talking the Honda rep happened to call, so the dealer had me tell him about it. He said it could be many things that are having an affect on my 3rd gear problem, oil pressure, dirty trans filter..etc. Said as an option you can reset the ECU and have it start learning fresh again. It seems to be a bit better after the filter change, but I still need to log on a few more days worth of riding to see if it fixed it entirely. That is my only experience so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I read somewhere during my research on the DCT, before buying the CTX, that one of the factors that determines the shifting of the DCT is vehicle speed from the front wheel.

So if the speed odometer cable broke, as it did a on my V Star a couple of months ago, I would be SOL getting the DCT to shift. Wonder if it would work in the manual mode?

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
The CTX has several speed sensors in the case. There are no cables, everything works through sensors and the pcm digitaly. You would have to remap the pcm to alter stock shift points and/or final drive speed for alternate gearing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have a reference to an actual chart of RPM vs Shift Points? That would be data...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does anybody have a reference to an actual chart of RPM vs Shift Points? That would be data...
Wouldn't the shift points depend on the amount of throttle being applied? Normally, the more throttle input, the higher the shift points.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't the shift points depend on the amount of throttle being applied? Normally, the more throttle input, the higher the shift points.
Throttle gives you RPM; RPM gives you the shift point. The thread is about finding real data for those shift points: in Drive, in Sport, and during braking [to a stop or on curves]. Higher shift points in Sport are programmed in, so you get to push more gas...

f

·
Registered
126 Posts
Throttle gives you RPM; RPM gives you the shift point.
It's not that simple. What I meant was this: if you accelerate slowly (less throttle), the trans will shift at lower RPM. If you accelerate quickly (more throttle), the trans will shift at higher RPM. And there are many variations in between.

·
Registered
433 Posts
^ You are correct.

·
Registered
301 Posts
On car type eletric shift automatic trannies the inputs the cumputer considers are, in no particular priority, RPM, speed, gear, throttle position, engine load by manifold pressure/vacuum, ignition timing, coolant temp, tranny fluid temp and some even talk to the knock sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts