CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the land of OZ, we don't get the DCT versions until next year so I've been unable to test ride hence I seek your observation on the following matter.
I've watched (and listened to)a coupla Youtube videos and noticed that DCTs emit a "clunking" sound when put into "D", rather like a conventional transmission.
My previous automatic bike,Honda DN01 was perfectly quiet in the transmission department and I have read at least one road testers report referring to Clunking, Clicking and Jerking along with being difficult to ride slowly (unable to feather the clutch). So what do you owners think, how much of the above is true? I really like the concept of the DCT but I also like "Smooth" as in scooter CVTs.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The CTX automatic has dual clutches operating a standard 6 speed transmission which is far different than a CVT. The manual CTX uses the same 6 speed transmission but gear ratios are different between the two.

Even the manual model clunks sometimes when going into first (especially when cold). Which I find pretty common with every bike I have owned.

If you don't want to shift wait and get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clunk not bothersome, louder than 750F only when not warmed up. it is small issue when DCT making ride more fun. only time I prefer MT is when showing bigger bikes how much quicker off the line it is. easy to enjoy the scenery and just go for a scoot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as low speed handling, I don't think the CTX is any more difficult to handle than a scooter without a clutch. If you didn't have low speed handling issues with your DN01, you shouldn't with the CTX DCT version.

·
Registered
842 Posts
After 6 months of riding my Naked DCT, it feels like home every time I get on it. The "adjustment" from my Kymco Xciting 500Ri was easy. I do sometimes get that "lugging" feeling in 6th gear in Drive mode [upshift is at about 43 mph], but I can "paddle down" if I want.
Riding two-up is smoothest in Sport mode; I usually put it in Drive at about 50+ if on a freeway, as I do not like hanging on to 5th gear sooooooo long.
The "clunk" from neutral to Drive/Sport seems normal to me now. When I first got it, I thought it was abrupt. Reminded me of an old 2-speed Powerglide '53 Chevy I had in college. Now it all seems normal.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is clunky, not smooth like the cvt on Burgman. It is not bothersome, just noticeable
Would not count it against bike. I have had both.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I find my 700n dct a LOT easier to "slow" ride than my previous ride, a v-star 950. The automatic gear change clunk is no different to me than the clunk I experienced on that manual transmission bike.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks to all those who replied, I can live with a clunk going into D. Thought I might have to go with a scooter again and liked the look of the BMW C650, so I visited their forum and scared myself.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks to all those who replied, I can live with a clunk going into D. Thought I might have to go with a scooter again and liked the look of the BMW C650, so I visited their forum and scared myself.
The two, new BMW Cs are really nice, fast, and full of features like tons of on-board storage, but I get scared to when I see the kind of money they want for them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is an interesting review of big scooters from BMW, Honda and Suzuki in the December issue of Rider magazine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The DCT is very smooth when shifting up. It is also smooth when shifting down in the higher gears. Going from third to second and second to first is a bit of a jerk. I really don't expect good rear tire life with the abrupt downshifts.

In Sport Mode, the bike will hang around a bit too long in third before shifting up. But the little paddles make this a non-issue. You can shift manually even when you are in an automatic mode.

The bike does clunk a bit sometimes when you push the mode button following a cold start. It's no worse than many other bikes dropping into first gear while cold.

If you do any sporting at all, you really need to be in manual mode. The bike likes to downshift as you get on the gas in tight corners. The sudden shift from third to second or second to first could break the back end loose if the road surface is not clean.

I ride some really sweet roads that alternate between farmland and twisties. The CTX is great for these roads because I can swap between manual and automatic modes on the fly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
DOWNSIZE OPINION FROM 25 year motorcyclist

I downsized from a VTX1800C at 900 pounds, to my CTX700N DCT, at 500 pounds. I owned a new Suzuki Burgman 400S back in 2006, and a bunch of bigger bikes in between. I absolutely love my CTX with auto transmission, and for whatever reason I simply call magic, she will blast from 75MPH to 95MPH on the freeway in 6th gear, and it feels more manageable than the tugboat I traded down for!:eek:

Downshifting and upshifting are not my concern- she does it alllll for me. Low speed maneuvers are a walk in the park compared to the left hand tendonitis inducing clutch manipulation I struggled with... all of which disappeared quickly on my CTX700N.

For my part, I say, wait for the DCT model, which comes with ABS too.

I just wish THEY MADE IT WITH A BIGGER GAS TANK!!! :mad:

Your in Australia, you know what I mean. I have gotten 75MPG cruising in the mountains going slow. Commuting every day I average 50MPG (I am heavy throttle on freeway in Kahlifornya's capital). A 3.1 gallon fuel tank is ... offensive in my opinion, especially when the gas tank area makes room for a small storage pocket I can't fit anything substantial in.

Email Honda and tell them "Don't you bring that bike to Australia without at LEAST a 4.5 gallon tank mate!". :)

I leave it in sport mode unless trying to save gas on freeway on open highway stretches. The S mode gives me the short shift ratios I need to do whatever is necessary for commuting. I do use the paddle shifters for downshifting to slow engine and upshifting to spread it out more. But for lane splitting (Which apparently is unique to Kahlifornya), I am watching cars so much I just leave her in S mode and rely on bike to take care of the gearing.

I rode Highway 1 down the coast from San Francisco, and found the S mode to be sufficient without any input from me, but kept switching to taller highway D (for drive) range on the long straight a ways. Overall, I give the CTX700N DCT and A+ for accomplishing it's mission as a commuter bike. We are all experimenting further with making her roadworthy (floorboards, etc.) for longer trips. Since your in Ausie-land where there are many open miles to tread... we would love to hear your future input form down under!

Reactions: fjones and Jetmech1

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Ralph for your response, the 12litre fuel tank isn't an issue for me as 300kms is as far as I can go without a toilet stop, went to dealer today and sat on CTX and BMW GT650 came away more than ever convinced CTX is for me. Considered going for a test ride on a manual but my (almost) frozen left ankle just made shifting too difficult. You've put my concerns to bed re the transmission now I've got to come to grips with the chain, the windscreen and non linked brakes (which were magic on my DN-01).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you Ralph for your response, the 12litre fuel tank isn't an issue for me as 300kms is as far as I can go without a toilet stop, went to dealer today and sat on CTX and BMW GT650 came away more than ever convinced CTX is for me. Considered going for a test ride on a manual but my (almost) frozen left ankle just made shifting too difficult. You've put my concerns to bed re the transmission now I've got to come to grips with the chain, the windscreen and non linked brakes (which were magic on my DN-01).
Bazil,
How do you compare the DN-01 to the CTX700 ?
I almost purchased one instead of the CTX700.
Hardly used DN-01's are going for $6500 compared to $8900 for the CTX700.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Peter, the DN-01 has the most incredible transmission, it is continuously variable and virtually slip free, has a manual setting (six speeds) shaft drive, 15 litre tank, single sided swingarm, combined ABS brakes, low seat height and is (IMHO) a real "looker".
It's a bag of cement (40kg) heavier than CTX and when it toppled over in my driveway with me underneath, SWMBO said that's it!!!. It is beautifully made and finished whereas compared to it the CTX looks "stripped down". Just make sure you're strong enough to wrangle it. (Spell check didn't like my spelling of litre)
Regards, Barry Jones.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I know I sound paranoid about the gearbox (DCT) noise issue and as there aren't any DCTs to ride here yet I'm relying on this forum for clues. Came across this by a poster here and would appreciate any input.

(click on thumbnail)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too owned a Kymco Exciting 500ri. Have 3k miles on my DCT 700. No comparison! There is a little clunking sound but you'll get used to it. Also nice rumbling sound on the exhaust. It is true motorcycle. Shift in drive, sport or paddle shift in manual mode. What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Brazil the DCT is a true manual transmission with 2 separate clutches. It will make all the noises any other manual transmission will make. A scooter CVT is a centrifugal clutch with a belt and adjusting sheeve pullies. The clunk when you drop it in gear is made because the transmission is in constant mesh and the oil makes everything want to spin with the engine. As far as downshifts affecting rear tire wear, the DCT won't downshift agressively enough in any mode to chirp the rear tire. Its just too friggin smart.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Peter, the DN-01 has the most incredible transmission, it is continuously variable and virtually slip free, has a manual setting (six speeds) shaft drive, 15 litre tank, single sided swingarm, combined ABS brakes, low seat height and is (IMHO) a real "looker".
It's a bag of cement (40kg) heavier than CTX and when it toppled over in my driveway with me underneath, SWMBO said that's it!!!. It is beautifully made and finished whereas compared to it the CTX looks "stripped down". Just make sure you're strong enough to wrangle it. (Spell check didn't like my spelling of litre)
Regards, Barry Jones.

It IS quite true .... IF the DN-01 "falls" on you, especially your legs, it's a bear to get off! Happened once, my fault/boo-boo, but will NEVER happen again! Then again, any bike falling on you is NO good thing. Personally, IF I had to decide whether to buy another DN-01 or a CTX 700D, I would pick the CTX only because it's newer technology/better gas mileage/lighter AND you can ADD accessories EASIER!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Coming from scoots with CVT's and Dr' Pulley sliders, it does sound more dramatic with a clutch. However that's normal. It has 2 clutches, one for even and one for odd gears.

Having abused the tar out of my Civic clutch, it still got 260k miles on it original. I figure the wet DCT gears should be fine for a long time :p.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts