CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change, and in the owners manual there is mention of changing the " Clutch Oil Filter," at 600 miles.
Is the clutch oil filter one and the same as the engine oil filter?

I can't seem to find any after market Clutch oil filters online, but have found several sources for the engine oil filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The clutch oil filter is separate from the engine oil filter. It is located under a cover on the right side of the bike, if I remember correctly. I have not changed mine, but have seen it in the manual. My bike is just coming up on the 600 mile service, but I am taking this one to the dealer. After this, I will do most of the service. The valve check might be a dealer thing. I checked the valves on my Vulcan 900 and it was quite involved, but the CTX looks easier, so we will see when we get to that point.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change, and in the owners manual there is mention of changing the " Clutch Oil Filter," at 600 miles.

I can't seem to find any after market Clutch oil filters online, but have found several sources for the engine oil filter.
When I did mine, I seem to remember that you had to get the transmission filter from the dealer. I seem to recall, but could be wrong, having to pay 13 dollars per filter and it had to be ordered.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
They are both separate. The easiest way is to get them from the dealer. Best to call ahead of time to ensure availability. Most dealers will stock them. You can also order them on line from a parts warehouse such as www.Procaliber.com or one of the many others. Be prepared to pay for shipping.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts

Honda Motorcycle,Honda ATV Parts Up To 40% Off, Accessories

I cannot comment on the seller through the amazon link, haven't ordered there yet.

Honda Parts Nation has the part cheaper, but the shipping for it is very high. I'd hope the more parts you order, the more reasonable the shipping becomes.

They also have diagrams on their site to show where the filter is located.

here are the part numbers for everything, I've included the air filter if you want that:
ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER 17210-MGS-D30
FILTER SET, OIL 15010-MCE-H51 (oil filter and cap)
FILTER, OIL (TOYO ROKI) 15410-MFJ-D01 (oil filter only)
WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (12MM) 94109-12000
ELEMENT, OIL FILTER 15412-MGS-D21 (clutch)
O-RING (39.8X2.2) (ARAI) 91302-PA9-003 (clutch)
Pro Honda HP4S SAE 10W-30 3.6 quarts (cheaper at www.rockymountainatvmc.com)

·
Registered
345 Posts
There are videos on U Tube for changing the oil and filters on the ctx when changing the trans filter take the side plastic off all the way only a few extra screws to remove. And it makes it a lot easier to do the filter

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Hi jfc77320

In your post about filters you mention that DCT and oil filters are 2 different filters
How the heck do I know which CTX i have, mine is a 2014 DCT with the fairings. My invoice say CTX 700D but when look for the filters i see D A, AC etc .

I hate the dealer where I purchased the bike and they got enough of my money so ordering the filters elsewhere works for me.
Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance

David

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hi jfc77320

In your post about filters you mention that DCT and oil filters are 2 different filters
How the heck do I know which CTX i have, mine is a 2014 DCT with the fairings. My invoice say CTX 700D but when look for the filters i see D A, AC etc .

I hate the dealer where I purchased the bike and they got enough of my money so ordering the filters elsewhere works for me.

David
The oil filters are the same for all versions of the CTX700.

For bikes with the DCT, there is an ADDITIONAL filter that you need to change, in addition to the oil filter. It's on the right side of the bike, behind a trapezoidal cover.

That make sense? Same oil filter for all versions/years, and an ADDITIONAL filter for DCT models only (all years).

You can get the oil filter nearly anywhere, including O'Reilly's Auto Parts and Autozone (at least that I've seen). The additional DCT filter is really only available from Honda/specialty motorcycle dealers. I buy my filters a few at a time from Amazon so I always have a set in stock...

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Hi jfc77320

David
David,

Thankfully, all versions of the CTX use the same oil filter and transmission filter(DCT-if so equipped) so it shouldn't be a problem getting the right one. The meaning of the abbreviations when ordering parts is determined by whether you have a 50 state / CARB approved model (AC) or a standard non CARB model (A). Standard models do not have the vapor recovery system. Of course, (D) will always designate DCT.

Technically, since you live in New York, you would select the CTX700D (AC) to order parts from a parts warehouse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On ProCaliber I don't find filters for the CTX700N DCT. In fact, I don't find that bike at all. All I find are CTX700n A, AC etc. What are these?

I'd like to buy the oil and clutch filters from someone else because my local dealer is a jerk. They didn't even know I needed two filters for this bike (which they sell) and when I convinced them it did need two filters they couldn't find it on their computer and got snippy with me when I asked them why it was so hard for them to find? That's why I drive 100 miles to another Honda dealer for purchases and service.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
On ProCaliber I don't find filters for the CTX700N DCT. In fact, I don't find that bike at all. All I find are CTX700n A, AC etc. What are these?

I'd like to buy the oil and clutch filters from someone else because my local dealer is a jerk. They didn't even know I needed two filters for this bike (which they sell) and when I convinced them it did need two filters they couldn't find it on their computer and got snippy with me when I asked them why it was so hard for them to find? That's why I drive 100 miles to another Honda dealer for purchases and service.
Look in the second column to the right on Procaliber model page. CTX700ND. The A indicates a bike without the fuel recovery system. The AC stands for the 50 state model (CARB approved) with the recovery system. California and New Yorkers should select models with AC. Having said that, all filters and most parts are the same on all years and models except for the recovery system and drive sprockets on the DCT. For the transmission filter, choose any model CTX with a "D" designation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
First 1000km / 600mi service the recommendation is to change both.
Second, 12000/8000 service you only change the regular filter; the clutch filter is changed at 24k/16k

Unless you ride a lot, stocking up on DCT filter is not required as I believe they can only go down in pricing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here are the part numbers for everything, I've included the air filter if you want that:
ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER 17210-MGS-D30
FILTER SET, OIL 15010-MCE-H51 (oil filter and cap)
FILTER, OIL (TOYO ROKI) 15410-MFJ-D01 (oil filter only)
WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (12MM) 94109-12000
ELEMENT, OIL FILTER 15412-MGS-D21 (clutch)
O-RING (39.8X2.2) (ARAI) 91302-PA9-003 (clutch)
Pro Honda HP4S SAE 10W-30 3.6 quarts (cheaper at www.rockymountainatvmc.com)
I returned from my dealer where I got all the parts, but I doubt a couple...

For the clutch oil filter (I have DCT) they sold me this one, 15412-MGE-DO1, see attachment.
Which looks different than the one you specified, 15412-MGS-D21, Picture on Amazon.
The the dealer gave me seems to be instead for a VFR1200:
__ partzilla
__ bike-parts-honda
__ vfrdiscussion
Bike Bandit oil filters matching the CTX700ND:
__bikebandit
__ For the clutch oil filter, is 15412-MGS-D21, not the one the dealer game me:
_____ bikebandit
HondaPartsHouse.com only only finds the 15412-MGS-D21 when doing a parts search.
__ hondapartshouse.com
So I'm 95% sure I got the wrong clutch oil filter.

For the engine oil, the service manual recommends:
__ Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil (U.S.A. and Canada) or equivalent motorcycle oil
__ API service classification: SG or Higher
__ JASO T 903 standard: MA .
__ Viscosity: SAE 10W-30
But the dealer sold me this one, saying that is what they use when doing oil changes:
__ Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil
__ 10W-40 SJ
I also asked a mechanic, and he said "that's what we use".
But because my bike has a DCT, the viscosity is important for the automatic clutch operation, so is the 10W-40 really an OK substitute for the recommended 10W-40?
I could return what the dealer provided and instead get the GN4 10W-30 from Amazon: $30 for a gallon.

Thanks guys, otherwise looking forward to doing the oil change.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I returned from my dealer where I got all the parts, but I doubt a couple...

For the clutch oil filter (I have DCT) they sold me this one, 15412-MGE-DO1, see attachment.
Which looks different than the one you specified, 15412-MGS-D21, Picture on Amazon.
The the dealer gave me seems to be instead for a VFR1200:
__ partzilla
__ bike-parts-honda
__ vfrdiscussion
Bike Bandit oil filters matching the CTX700ND:
__bikebandit
__ For the clutch oil filter, is 15412-MGS-D21, not the one the dealer game me:
_____ bikebandit
HondaPartsHouse.com only only finds the 15412-MGS-D21 when doing a parts search.
__ hondapartshouse.com
So I'm 95% sure I got the wrong clutch oil filter.

For the engine oil, the service manual recommends:
__ Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil (U.S.A. and Canada) or equivalent motorcycle oil
__ API service classification: SG or Higher
__ JASO T 903 standard: MA .
__ Viscosity: SAE 10W-30
But the dealer sold me this one, saying that is what they use when doing oil changes:
__ Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil
__ 10W-40 SJ
I also asked a mechanic, and he said "that's what we use".
But because my bike has a DCT, the viscosity is important for the automatic clutch operation, so is the 10W-40 really an OK substitute for the recommended 10W-40?
I could return what the dealer provided and instead get the GN4 10W-30 from Amazon: $30 for a gallon.

Thanks guys, otherwise looking forward to doing the oil change.
I think your right on about the filter. Its for the VFR1200D. Not the CTX. Double check with the dealer. The oil is fine. Its standard SOP for the dealer to use GN4 10W-40 SJ in the DCT. The "J" just means it can be used in more modern vehicles than the "G" rated oil. It wont hurt the clutch. Here's what all those codes actually mean. Note: most motorcycles with wet clutches require a lower grade oil to avoid clutch slippage. Petroleum Quality Institute of America

·
Registered
77 Posts
I need to replace this DCT filter too. Figured out a High Flow brand HF117 cross referenced with the OEM # 15412-MGS-D21 you speak of. Paid $9.92 with free shipping off fleabay today. Due at my door the 14th. Now, Off to hopefully find a Utube on how to replace this filter

·
Registered
35 Posts
David,

Thankfully, all versions of the CTX use the same oil filter and transmission filter(DCT-if so equipped) so it shouldn't be a problem getting the right one. The meaning of the abbreviations when ordering parts is determined by whether you have a 50 state / CARB approved model (AC) or a standard non CARB model (A). Standard models do not have the vapor recovery system. Of course, (D) will always designate DCT.

Technically, since you live in New York, you would select the CTX700D (AC) to order parts from a parts warehouse.
I have a ND dct so bot filter s are the same?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts