CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speciffically, I'm curious about those that drive less than 8,000 miles per year. The manual states to change the oil every 8,000 miles or yearly & to change the DCT filter every 16,000 miles but no time parameters. To me that means to change it every 2 years. What do you do?

I read it here before but synthetic oil definitely quiets the clunk sound when the DCT shifts. I can not say if that has any benefit however.
Also, the manual said when changing oil & engine oil filter: 3.6 US qt. When changing oil only: 3.4 US qt. I changed the oil filter but not the DCT filter. It was still about 3.6 qt.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
I would say it means change DCT filter every other oil change.

I didn't notice ANY change in volume of shift noise with synthetic even though I went up to 10W-40.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I ride less than 8000 per year so I change the oil every year and ½ and the oil and filters always look good. I use Honda GN-4 10-40 conventional and Honda filters. I use conventional due to I dump the oil way before it’s worn out. I believe the every 12 months recommendation is due to the oil also cleans and cools the engine collecting moisture and other contaminants from the combustion process and thru crankcase vents that can cause the oil to become acidic. When I inspect the DCT filter it is totally clean so I change it every other oil change. Possibly the oil is pre filtered through the engine oil filter before it is sent through the DCT filter so the oil is extra clean before it reaches it which allows the extended recommended change difference.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also change my CTX DCT's oil and filters every 12 months. I only ride 2000 to 2500 miles a year. My annual fall oil change lets me play mechanic (which I'm not) but mostly to just get practice looking and checking the bike by getting down on the ground and a little dirty. I seem to discover something new or that I'm glad I noticed every year while looking for any trouble.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
69 Posts
I ride less than 8000 per year so I change the oil every year and ½ and the oil and filters always look good. I use Honda GN-4 10-40 conventional and Honda filters. I use conventional due to I dump the oil way before it’s worn out. I believe the every 12 months recommendation is due to the oil also cleans and cools the engine collecting moisture and other contaminants from the combustion process and thru crankcase vents that can cause the oil to become acidic. When I inspect the DCT filter it is totally clean so I change it every other oil change. Possibly the oil is pre filtered through the engine oil filter before it is sent through the DCT filter so the oil is extra clean before it reaches it which allows the extended recommended change difference.
I ride less than 8K a year and do exactly the same thing. Change the oil/filter at the beginning of every riding season around March. Use conventional oil as well. Not expensive to upkeep every year. Cheers✌

·
Registered
395 Posts
Speciffically, I'm curious about those that drive less than 8,000 miles per year. The manual states to change the oil every 8,000 miles or yearly & to change the DCT filter every 16,000 miles but no time parameters. To me that means to change it every 2 years. What do you do?

I read it here before but synthetic oil definitely quiets the clunk sound when the DCT shifts. I can not say if that has any benefit however.
Also, the manual said when changing oil & engine oil filter: 3.6 US qt. When changing oil only: 3.4 US qt. I changed the oil filter but not the DCT filter. It was still about 3.6 qt.
synthetic oil is not recommended by owners manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts