CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....besides Honda. I swore I would never turn another wrench but $250 to change the oil plus a Half of a day of is too much.

From gleaning the web I found two possibles:

KN 112

And the filter from the CN700, our sister ship:

DCT Gearbox Honda Filter
Honda OEM Oil Filter | Dual Sport | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Ok so the main filter is a standard Honda filt, cool.

I'm going synthetic to try to reduce the heat some. My 2011 vette uses 11quarts of Mobile1 so maybe that makes sense in bulk from amazon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
$250??? You got this figured out but man, your dealer charges a lot for an oil change.
$8.00 a quart for 4 quarts = $32.00 (full syn)
Guessing $12.00 for a filter
$10.00 for a DCT filter (we are up to $54.00 for parts)
$250 - $54 for parts= $196
$80.00 Labor per hour approx.
They charged you for labor just over 2 hours for labor for an oil change?
Always ask for an estimate before getting work done. That is pretty high for an oil change. Takes me about 30 minutes and that is mostly waiting for the oil to drain.

·
Registered
178 Posts
....besides Honda. I swore I would never turn another wrench but $250 to change the oil plus a Half of a day of is too much.

From gleaning the web I found two possibles:

KN 112

And the filter from the CN700, our sister ship:

DCT Gearbox Honda Filter
Honda OEM Oil Filter | Dual Sport | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Ok so the main filter is a standard Honda filt, cool.

I'm going synthetic to try to reduce the heat some. My 2011 vette uses 11quarts of Mobile1 so maybe that makes sense in bulk from amazon.
9.99 for clutch filter, 12.99 for oil filter, 4 x6.99 for oil. Minus 10% cause i am a nice customer. About 45 minutes of my time. (First time). Much less next time.

Get the parts and a six pack of grape Nehi and I will do it for ya. $250, I am still laughing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still looking for a source for the DCT filter

Do you all agree the CN700 DCT filter is what we use on the CTX700? Where do you get your DCT filter?

I'm ok doing the work by myself, mainly to save my time and use the oil of my choice, but if I have to ride over to the Honda dealer just to get the DCT filter might as well have them do the change at the same time.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Do you all agree the CN700 DCT filter is what we use on the CTX700? Where do you get your DCT filter?

I'm ok doing the work by myself, mainly to save my time and use the oil of my choice, but if I have to ride over to the Honda dealer just to get the DCT filter might as well have them do the change at the same time.

Thanks again.
awhile back I posted HondaPartsNation web site. They have a full parts breakdown list and schematic of our bikes. That filter is clearly shown and you can order from them with ease. There are at least 5 other Honda sites to get the filter not counting Ebay where you just search by number.

You can do you own comparisons to the other Honda models to verify what fits.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can vouch for hondapartsnation. Just ordered some parts to repair my wife's bike and these guys seem pretty ok.

They do have a great illustrated parts breakdown for parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I couldn't find 10-30 motorcycle oil in mobile 1 so I bought amsoil motorcycle 10-30 synthetic at my local Napa store for $10.99 a quart. Also, I always run 3 ounces of Archoil in my bikes. Good stuff. Check it out.

I'm looking for a service manual - any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I couldn't find 10-30 motorcycle oil in mobile 1 so I bought amsoil motorcycle 10-30 synthetic at my local Napa store for $10.99 a quart. Also, I always run 3 ounces of Archoil in my bikes. Good stuff. Check it out.

I'm looking for a service manual - any suggestions?
There are three options. The OM service manual (expensive), a cheaper paper copy of the original (about $40), and a downloadable version. Just do a forum advanced search for "service manual."

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There are three options. The OM service manual (expensive), a cheaper paper copy of the original (about $40), and a downloadable version. Just do a forum advanced search for "service manual."
I did the copy - it works great!

Reactions: jfc77320
1 - 15 of 15 Posts