CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just figured out that when traveling on the freeway 65-70 mph, all you have to do is quickly give it gas (gun it) and the DCT will downshift from 6th gear to 5th gear and take off.

I ride pretty conservatively and don't usually gun the throttle. When I pass 18 wheelers on the freeway I gradually give it gas and the bike stays in 6th gear. I knew I could manually downshift but too lazy or didn't need or want to concentrate on hitting the downshift button. Now there is no need to hit the downshift button to pass. :)

And when I was getting on the on-ramp at 40 mph, I gunned it and the bike downshifted from 6th gear to 4th gear and took off. :)

Oh yeah, I'm 100% in the Drive mode.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah, you are right,,,,, it does downshift as needed, automatically.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If you need very agressive throttle response, within the limits that the ECU will allow the engine to perform under, auto is no bueno.
So I shift into manual to get the exact throttle response needed, if you're doing things in a leisurely or semi-leisurely fashion than either auto works.
My experiences with the CTX700 basically make me want to get a faster bike, doubtful i'd ditch this if I got it but I still want a real sport-touring bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The DCT basically operates like an automatic transmission in a car or truck.:)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I just figured out that when traveling on the freeway 65-70 mph, all you have to do is quickly give it gas (gun it) and the DCT will downshift from 6th gear to 5th gear and take off.

I ride pretty conservatively and don't usually gun the throttle. When I pass 18 wheelers on the freeway I gradually give it gas and the bike stays in 6th gear. I knew I could manually downshift but too lazy or didn't need or want to concentrate on hitting the downshift button. Now there is no need to hit the downshift button to pass. :)

And when I was getting on the on-ramp at 40 mph, I gunned it and the bike downshifted from 6th gear to 4th gear and took off. :)

Give the downshift button a push - just a single thumb press... :) The DCT won't let you downshift too far (can't shift into 2nd at 70 MPH) nor will it let you upshift too far (6th at 20 MPH).

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It makes sense that the DCT functions like a automobile transmission. It's just that on the freeway, I cruise with a Crampbuster on the throttle. With the Crampbuster, I don't tend to make very big changes in the throttle movement, so the bike doesn't downshift from 6th to 5th.

My buddy with a NC700, that turned my on to the CTX700 DCT did not realize automatic downshifting either. He would manually downshift to pass on the freeways.

I guess some of us old geezers are too easy on the throttle. :)

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Often times the twist the throttle downshifting is too aggressive for the situation so the paddle buttons of manual mode works better. I think someone already said that...

·
Registered
9 Posts

Yes, a slight tap of brakes does induce a DCT downshift.. for Each gear, if you care to do such on stoplight approaches... kool!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts