CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2 pairs of armored, reinforced jeans, and they're fine most of the time, but they're not great for riding to work, where business casual is the norm. My choices seem to be motorcycle pants designed to look more like dress pants or armored overpants. Most motorcycle pants are pretty conspicuous and scream MOTORCYCLE PANTS! The more affordable ones seem to be especially obvious. My budget is modest, so I need to get something under $100. Speed and Strength had a good option that is discontinued, and unless I'm willing to gain or lose 50 lbs, my size seems to be unavailable.

So another option is overpants that can be worn over work pants. I'm also wondering if they can be with alone instead of jeans on hot summer days when I'm not headed to work. Overpants seem to be conspicuous but less pricey, and who cares how ridiculous they look if you're removing them when you get to work?

Are overpants supposed to be purchased a size larger than normal? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Since your budget is pretty modest, I would keep an eye on https://www.motorcyclegear.com They have lots of deals regularly and you can browse the for sale section where other people list items they no longer use or bought the wrong size.

For your application, I would steer you more towards the overpants. You can throw them on over shorts for the summer rides and remove them when you get to your destination. Make sure you get ones that have the full length leg zippers or you will have trouble with getting them on and off without severely wrinkling/bunching your dress slacks for work.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
348 Posts
Ditto on the overpants. I ride with Olympia vented overpants over my work slacks, fold them up and leave them in my top case when I get to work. I'd go with a size larger than your pants size, especially if the overpants come with a removable liner; you'll want that extra space.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Another vote for overpants. I have a pair of Tourmaster overpants, and I love 'em. I mainly got them for commuting, but I've worn them every time I've ridden since I bought them back in April. I think I paid around $150 for them, but I know you can get them cheaper. Matter of fact, here's another pair of Tourmaster overpants that seem to be exactly the same as mine, just missing the reflective stripe down the side and under $100:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-quest-pants

To be fair, if it's hot out, you will sweat in overpants. Owning an air-cooled Harley Sportster definitely doesn't help matters for me, but I'll take sweating over bleeding any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'm considering getting a pair or two of riding jeans eventually, but they're too expensive for me right now considering their "limited use" and not being sure if they should be washed after each use, etc. Bonus is that the Tourmaster overpants are waterproof as well. Non-removable waterproof liner, but that's the price we pay for staying dry.

My overpants are easy to don and doff, the zipper goes almost all the way up the leg. Aside from the whole sweating thing, I couldn't be happier with mine. All my rides thus far have been for pleasure (still looking for work - the market here sucks right now), but I'm sure that once I am commuting with them they'll definitely be worth it.

As far as sizing goes, most overpants take the size of your pants into account already. I went with a size XXL (could've probably gotten away with an XL, especially with my short(er) 30" inseam), but it's got tightening straps along the waist that work just fine, even with a pair of Levis and a belt on underneath. I'd look around to see if you have any local shops that sell them (or can get them in) for you to take a look at and try on. I did, and sure glad I was able to. Revzilla is great on price and returns, but on things like that, I want to try them on in person first if I can.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Steed and EC mentioned it, but I would like to emphasize the importance of long leg zippers. Mine do not have em and they are a pain to take off because you have to take off your shoes to get out of em...... In my experience benches near where I park my motorcycle are an endangered species ........

·
Registered
720 Posts
In the winter we all wear our coats and boots to the office, showing up 5 minutes early and taking over-pants off at your desk should be no different. I certainly have no problem wearing armored jacket and chaps over business casual to my desk every day, and my friend wears a single piece over-suit.

While it's been noted a slide on my rear would still ruin both skin and pants, I get pretty good coverage over knees and thighs from leather chaps, as well as keeping gutter water off my socks when riding through puddles. Also, my ride to work is in the city at 35 MPH and below, so I'm also gambling I can slow to a very low speed in the worst of cases. Maybe not everyone wants that chance, but I get along well with traffic around here.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
348 Posts
To be fair, if it's hot out, you will sweat in overpants...
However, there are vented overpants that (like vented jackets) provide good airflow to the inside, keeping you cool as you ride. My Olympia overpants are vented, and (also like their jacket) include a lining that can be zipped in, keeping you toasty warm in winter. For year-round riding, I'd recommend vented jacket and overpants with zip-out liners to every rider.

·
Registered
263 Posts
https://www.motorcyclegear.com are great to deal with, either do a chat, email or phone. They also have a section for customers to sell their gear. I've found new & like new gear on ebay. I too suggest over pants. Leave them in your saddle bag or stash them at work...good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
90+ I wear a pair of tactical off-road knee/shin guards over my jeans. In a slow speed low side my leg got bruised up but no road rash.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great ideas. I got a pair of Speed and Strength Soul Shaker pants from Dennis Kirk for only about $52. They look like chinos. I also got a pair of overpants to wear over other work pants and for summer riding over shorts. I think I've got a lot of options now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts