CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 DCT faired model with a Puig Windshield + windshield extension. Upgraded from the OEM Tall, but it's still a bit too much wind noise for my liking.

So I followed the advice to use my hands to block various areas around the windshield/fairing to try and isolate and found that the only place that seemed to have a significant impact was blocking a small area on the mid top/side corner of the fairing, and so was thinking getting a small bracket & a bit of plexiglass to create a mini wind deflector.

Anyway, as I've got no real skills (nor probably the right tools) to do this myself and look halfway decent, so I've been Googling for "custom plexiglass". It's turning up places that do commercial-size quantities/sizes that might be more suitable for businesses/construction. Where would people typically go to get a one-off small projects like this done?

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
You might try a window repair contractor.
Oi! This ain't rocket science, and you might very well spend twice as much as the materials & tools would cost you for that one off if you had it done commercially.

To DIY, you want a piece of plastic (available at Lowe's Depot), a jigsaw with a cutting blade made for plastic, masking or painter's tape, and a properly sized drill bit, again used for plastics (all of which are available at Harbor Freight, which is known for cheap tools).

Make a paper pattern of your deflector(s). Lay down the tape where you will be cutting. Do so on both sides of the plastic sheet and trace the cutting outline of your deflector. Also, put tape on both sides where your mounting holes need to go as well. Then cut out your piece(s) & drill your holes. Remove the tape and clean the edges with a sharp knife or single-edged razor blade and then sand smooth all your cut edges. Finally, mount your add-ons and head off to your local bike night so you can brag on your accomplishments! 😎

·
Registered
170 Posts
I made “Lowers” for my bike using sheets of Acrylic plastic I bought on-line. I cut it with a table-saw and band-saw & drilled as normal. I fabricated the mounting hardware. For the most part, just work plastic the same as wood, however use a fine saw blade.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2013 Honda CB1100
53 Posts
I don't know if you have Tap Plastics in your area but I think they will supply and cut the plastic if you make a paper or cardboard pattern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info/ideas folks!

My wife works where Covid screens are required, so not only can I ask where they got theirs made, but they just may have one or two that had fallen/broken that I can help "recycle" for practice should I take the DIY route.

·
Registered
2015 Blue Grey CTX700 DCT ABS
15 Posts
I've got a 2014 DCT faired model with a Puig Windshield + windshield extension. Upgraded from the OEM Tall, but it's still a bit too much wind noise for my liking.

So I followed the advice to use my hands to block various areas around the windshield/fairing to try and isolate and found that the only place that seemed to have a significant impact was blocking a small area on the mid top/side corner of the fairing, and so was thinking getting a small bracket & a bit of plexiglass to create a mini wind deflector.

Anyway, as I've got no real skills (nor probably the right tools) to do this myself and look halfway decent, so I've been Googling for "custom plexiglass". It's turning up places that do commercial-size quantities/sizes that might be more suitable for businesses/construction. Where would people typically go to get a one-off small projects like this done?
Call plastic suppliers in your area. Most of them have the equipment to cut any shape you want. You’ll probably have to supply them with a to-scale template, however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts