• Other(feel free to comment)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • None

Votes: 5 17.2%
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
And now think of the vaccines all that could buy, and even ----------- respirators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep stinking rotten politicians only looking out for themselves!
Ever heard of a broke politician?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
interesting how many provinces, and likely states, have passed anti gouging legislation. N 95 masks are selling for 5-12 times regular cost and no indication of pursuiing anyong for price gouging.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yup. Take our money to get elected. Then become too entrenched in party lines to realize it's give and take. Forget it is us that are impacted by their high school clique mentality. Then either do nothing at all, make many bad decisions, or continue to fund ineffective fat bureaucratic laden programs that do nothing.

Meanwhile true moderates like me remain entirely unrepresented. I'll say it again. Until we as a populous come together, realize we can't have it all, and demand that our representative government exact our will... we're screwed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So where is the virtue in minimizing the voting power of individual citizens in favor of other citizens, just because they live in less populous states? The electoral college is an arbitrary rule that was never reasonable.
The virtue is in making someone in a small state feel like their vote may be worth something. I have seen 2020 electoral college numbers that show either Trump or Biden could win by 2 electoral votes. This forces the candidates to campaign in small states such as NH, ME, and a number of others. Who wants NY, TX, CA, and FL to determine who our president is? All states should have a say in it, and the only way to accomplish this is through the Electoral College.
States don’t vote, people do. If you live in a small state, your vote is worth something. It’s exactly the same as the vote of someone who lives in a large state. The electoral college was intended to foster the assembly of what we know today as United States and its formative decades. It’s no longer necessary to artificially Curb the voting power of the majority of individuals in this democracy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
States don’t vote, people do. If you live in a small state, your vote is worth something. It’s exactly the same as the vote of someone who lives in a large state. The electoral college was intended to foster the assembly of what we know today as United States and its formative decades. It’s no longer necessary to artificially Curb the voting power of the majority of individuals in this democracy.
Once again, this is not a democracy, it is a republic. If we vote as individuals for president, why don't we vote as individuals on legislation? We vote for a congressman or senator to do that, just as we vote for electors to decide on the presidency. Congress can change this method, but I doubt they ever would because it would eliminate their jobs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
mzflorida - YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!
The thing is no one cares after the election. Do they represent us?? NOPE! Its all about "voting along party lines", and the money for the PACS and selling books and such.
THIS is never be changed. That is why I dont vote any longer.
CAN'T STAND all the lies and the absolute waste in all forms of political crap!!
There is a ton of money to help out, but they want more from US from taxes ALL THE TIME!

·
Registered
490 Posts
mzflorida - YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!
The thing is no one cares after the election. Do they represent us?? NOPE! Its all about "voting along party lines", and the money for the PACS and selling books and such.
THIS is never be changed. That is why I dont vote any longer.
CAN'T STAND all the lies and the absolute waste in all forms of political crap!!
There is a ton of money to help out, but they want more from US from taxes ALL THE TIME!
The only time I care is after an election. Once they're in I have to wait to see how they screw me. Once I know how I'm getting shafted, I can at least plan again.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I accept your nomination. What do we do now?

I'm already a landed immigrant in Canada. I guess we have to get you a US visa to run the campaign!
Nah. I'll offer pro bono suggestions that may or may not be followed. Wouldn't want people to criticize you for having foreign interventions.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nah. I'll offer pro bono suggestions that may or may not be followed. Wouldn't want people to criticize you for having foreign interventions.
I've had foreign interventions in my life for the past 27 years...my wife. I think they'd show us mercy if they knew half the crap she's put me through.

Kidding. Love her to death and the best wife ever...that's what I keep telling myself at least.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Once again, this is not a democracy, it is a republic. If we vote as individuals for president, why don't we vote as individuals on legislation? We vote for a congressman or senator to do that, just as we vote for electors to decide on the presidency. Congress can change this method, but I doubt they ever would because it would eliminate their jobs.
Vulcan Mediator posted (#73) an excellent, non partisan, description of republic & democracy, & how they apply to US government. We have both... We are a democratic republic.
Of course we don't directly vote, (as millions & millions of citizens of 50 States), for our legislation, financial control, declaration of war etc. We do vote "democratically", for city councils, county boards of supervisors, state legislators & state governors as well as our US Congress (legislative branch), to represent us, forming our "republic" government Of & For the People. This is absolutely necessary, given our population, and all such positions will/must remain intact, if we are to maintain our great democratic republic "experiment" into our future.
Clearly, even 200++ years ago, "direct democracy" would not work.
Obviously, all of these elected officials comprise our representative "republic", whether red, blue, green, yellow, orange...whatever. They are chosen by their constituents (We the People) to represent/serve all of the people who reside in their governing territory.

As mentioned, the electoral college was in large part, a long ago compromise acceptable to those states with larger, enslaved populations, vs the all male voters elsewhere who may outnumber them.

For some time now, in our history, many see absolutely no necessity or justification that requires We the People to vote for "Electors" who decide on the presidency. The Office of the President is not akin to royalty, does not rule and whose authority must never be totalitarian. Rather, he or she is chosen to serve, represent, lead, guide, defend & protect All of our people, and is just one branch of our Federal Government, not unlike the office of a State Governor, yet on a much larger scale.
Congress has at times, nearly abolished the electoral college system, however special interests likely got in the way.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I haven't heard anyone say: "The Office of the President is not akin to royalty, does not rule and whose authority must never be totalitarian". I agree with that statement. You have made my point. Without the electoral college are country will end up with a totalitarian government.
Too me, this says it all:
This is from the 2020 election. Do you really want most of the country to not have a meaningful vote in Presidential elections? Without the Electoral College, our country would turn into a one party system, as most of the high population areas are controlled by the Democratic Party. This has NOTHING to do with either party. I feel it would be just as bad for this country if we were one party only under Republican leadership. One party is exactly how it is in Russia, China, Cuba, etc., not a pretty picture.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Interesting map. Usually the states are either red or blue, depending on how they voted in total for the presidential electors, and/or the Congress. Either way, without numbers, we do not know how many voted for which candidate in any particular color of the state, or how many live in the "wrong" color whose votes for president did not count. Alaska & Hawaii ? Besides massive red areas, not sure what this map actually shows definitively.
We can agree to disagree on any points...this is the normal human nature of opinion. Glad you agree with my statement. One point is that No president should ever be allowed so much power as to create a totalitarian or authoritarian government. He or she does not "run" our government. Like our Congress, he or she is
hopefully, a representative chosen by "We the People", no overruling electors are necessary. We the People are mostly divided in half politically speaking, which is the normal, acceptable course of human nature, & which some seem to forget. The truly "independent" among us generally decide a presidential outcome. Our "checks & balances" system of 3 "co-equal" federal branches was created to prevent any dominating force, IF functioning as intended. Congressional term limits could foster bipartisan cooperation. (y)

My other point is simply this; I want ALL of our citizens to have a "meaningful vote" in elections for the United States President; our choice for representative in the "Executive Branch". (one voter/one vote, just like all of our votes for all elected offices. Strange how only our Congress can declare war but they have not done so since World War Two? A conscientious Congress must Stand Up & be dedicated and willing to never give up on finding common ground agreements over their own selfish political partisanship...agree to disagree at times, even with the President...but keep working at it! This is absolutely vital to the future of our democratic republic and the freedom we sometimes take for granted. $.02 more;)

Adolph Hitler created a one party system (over a weak democracy severely struggling since World War One & by the Great Depression.) He convinced the larger segment of the German People that they were superior and were destined to dominate the world. So Sad. Vladimir Putin has similar evil qualities.:eek:
Democracy can & has been destroyed, little by little...most agencies of our Federal government are meant to always remain nonpartisan & We the People must remain ever vigilant to oppose such inroads by any Executive branch leader, including Donald Trump or anyone else.
Hitler also opposed Freedom of the Press (fake news?). Journalists & reporters Must always be free to report the facts as truly as possible. However, Political Pundits are paid to publicize opinions often controversial, which may not be factual, but designed to bring in advertising dollars (the corruption beyond our government?!). Truth Matters.:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Interesting map. Usually the states are either red or blue, depending on how they voted in total for the presidential electors, and/or the Congress. Either way, without numbers, we do not know how many voted for which candidate in any particular color of the state, or how many live in the "wrong" color whose votes for president did not count. Alaska & Hawaii ? Besides massive red areas, not sure what this map actually shows definitively.
We can agree to disagree on any points...this is the normal human nature of opinion. Glad you agree with my statement. One point is that No president should ever be allowed so much power as to create a totalitarian or authoritarian government. He or she does not "run" our government. Like our Congress, he or she is a representative chosen by "We the People", no overruling electors are necessary. We the People are mostly divided in half politically speaking, which is the normal, acceptable course of human nature, & which some seem to forget. The "independents" among us generally decide a presidential outcome. Our "checks & balances" system of 3 "co-equal" federal branches was created to prevent any dominating force, if functioning as intended. Congressional term limits could foster bipartisan cooperation. (y)

My other point is simply this; I want ALL of our citizens to have a "meaningful vote" in elections for the United States President; our choice for representative in the "Executive Branch". (one voter/one vote, just like all of our votes for all elected offices. Strange how only our Congress can declare war but they have not done so since World War Two? A conscientious Congress must Stand Up & be dedicated and willing to never give up on finding common ground agreements over their own selfish political partisanship. Agree to disagree at times, even with the President...but keep working at it! This is absolutely vital to the future of our democratic republic and the freedom we sometimes take for granted. $.02 more;)

Adolph Hitler created a one party system (over a weak democracy severely struggling since World War One & by the Great Depression. He convinced the larger segment of the German People that they were superior and were destined to dominate the world. So Sad. Vladimir Putin has similar evil qualities.:eek:
The map shows areas of states that either voted red or blue. Not sure why Alaska (red) or Hawaii (blue) are left out. What this map show definitively is that most of the states are red, with just the high population areas blue. This means that without electoral college, most states would be left out of process of picking a president. We are supposed to have 3 co equal parts of government, but sadly, congress has relinquished much of its power to the executive and judicial branches. Your point about declaring war is just one example. I would love term limits. They would solve many of our problems. Congress would vote what is best for the country, and not what is best for them to get reelected. Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell would not have as much power over them if they did not have to run for office again.
And then there's this: If the Dems get the Presidency, House, and Senate:
Voting, as we know it would be completely altered under a progressive majority in the Supreme Court. They have said they will expand the court to 13 justices. In all likelihood, a new progressive majority would be open to efforts to abolish the electoral college, to allow statehood for the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and to allow voting by people in the country illegally. All of these changes would skew towards the Democrats and could very well result in one-party federal rule of the United States.
I also didn't put much stock in election fraud until a friend sent this to me yesterday:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
interesting quote. It would be interesting to hear what care before, and, more importantly, after. Such as: Put in place a voter fraud .....investigation unit to track down and eliminate fraud...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
interesting quote. It would be interesting to hear what care before, and, more importantly, after. Such as: Put in place a voter fraud .....investigation unit to track down and eliminate fraud...
There is nothing interesting in that quote because, as usual, they took a 25sec excerpt stripping it of all content. The video is readily available to watch the whole thing. It talks about voter fraud indeed, about HOLDING BACK people from voting.

See how this holds up on court. Oh, I wonder why they did not present it in any of the cases? Oh, I forgot, they haven’t brought up widespread fraud at all because they can go to jail. They can only say it to their supporters, because.... freedom of speech.

"Chris Christie, the former New Jersey Republican governor and a Trump ally, earlier on Sunday said the recent conduct of the president’s legal team had been a “national embarrassment.”

“They allege fraud outside the courtroom, but when they go inside the courtroom, they don’t plead fraud and they don’t argue fraud,” Christie said on ABC’s “This Week.” “You have an obligation to present the evidence. The evidence has not been presented.”

This is pathetic. A world that describes perfectly the efforts of those who KNOW what they say is false, at worst, or don’t bother even fact checking, at best. Unfortunately, this is the new norm. FEELINGS are not facts.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Actually some of the jokers like Rudy Guliani should be prosecuted for inciting hatred and other related charges for his totally irresponsible actions. It has been widely covered in the media (left, right, papers, radio, tv, Fox, international media etc) that he will go to court and say there is no evidence of fraud, then go out and spout his BS on the court steps. He should be disbarred.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The map shows areas of states that either voted red or blue. Not sure why Alaska (red) or Hawaii (blue) are left out. What this map show definitively is that most of the states are red, with just the high population areas blue. This means that without electoral college, most states would be left out of process of picking a president. We are supposed to have 3 co equal parts of government, but sadly, congress has relinquished much of its power to the executive and judicial branches. Your point about declaring war is just one example. I would love term limits. They would solve many of our problems. Congress would vote what is best for the country, and not what is best for them to get reelected. Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell would not have as much power over them if they did not have to run for office again.
And then there's this: If the Dems get the Presidency, House, and Senate:
Voting, as we know it would be completely altered under a progressive majority in the Supreme Court. They have said they will expand the court to 13 justices. In all likelihood, a new progressive majority would be open to efforts to abolish the electoral college, to allow statehood for the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and to allow voting by people in the country illegally. All of these changes would skew towards the Democrats and could very well result in one-party federal rule of the United States.
I also didn't put much stock in election fraud until a friend sent this to me yesterday:

You and your friend need some fact checking. Or not. Because I cant believe you believed that video for a moment.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I haven't heard anyone say: "The Office of the President is not akin to royalty, does not rule and whose authority must never be totalitarian". I agree with that statement. You have made my point. Without the electoral college are country will end up with a totalitarian government.
Too me, this says it all:
View attachment 87397 This is from the 2020 election. Do you really want most of the country to not have a meaningful vote in Presidential elections? Without the Electoral College, our country would turn into a one party system, as most of the high population areas are controlled by the Democratic Party. This has NOTHING to do with either party. I feel it would be just as bad for this country if we were one party only under Republican leadership. One party is exactly how it is in Russia, China, Cuba, etc., not a pretty picture.

MOST of the country? Who is MOST of the country? The people living in it are. You are not OK with one party getting the most votes, and that is TOTALITARIAN government, but you are OK with the other being the ONLY party, as per your words, which will happen if this map applies. People vote, land does not. It is utter BS to say we should be represented by the least people. Because latest I know, people are represented, not land. Might as well give land owners above a certain acreage their own electoral votes.

This map makes me laugh, every time it is posted.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts