Votes: 2 6.9%
  • None

Votes: 5 17.2%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isnt an attempt to start a debate, im just curious on the political demographics of everyone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and who votes for what is hidden for those who are worried to actually post what they are

·
Registered
287 Posts
I also do not fit into any political anything. I hate politics.
Dont know how you can so existed over someone you'll never meet or has any interest in your life.
I also do not vote any longer. Havent since 2008.
I refuse to vote Dem or Rep and since there is no viable third party I chose to not vote.
I dont care who wins just stop all the ads and the fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a thought - What if all the money that is spent trying to get elected was used for food for the hungry, or you pick the need.
Hundreds of millions put to good use rather than thousands of ads each day that do NOTHING!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also do not fit into any political anything. I hate politics.
Dont know how you can so existed over someone you'll never meet or has any interest in your life.
I also do not vote any longer. Havent since 2008.
I refuse to vote Dem or Rep and since there is no viable third party I chose to not vote.
I dont care who wins just stop all the ads and the fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a thought - What if all the money that is spent trying to get elected was used for food for the hungry, or you pick the need.
Hundreds of millions put to good use rather than thousands of ads each day that do NOTHING!
Oh I absolutely agree with the final part, personally i think gov should fund an equal amount of campaign money specifically for getting around to debates and debates should be purely on policy, not what who did what.

personally voting Jo Jorgensen because while I only agree with her 70% by poll and in reality closer to 65% at least she would break the two party system and maybe save the us shrug but I say its perfectly fine to not vote.

·
Registered
287 Posts
NO!
No debates, no nothing. Use that money for something productive.
I cant believe there's a committee for presidential debates - WTF???!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Being out of the US, I don't fit any of those categories (Bullmoose sounds good thought). No democracy is perfect, as noted by Churchill, and each of our countries has its own idiosyncracies which is weird from an internal view, let alone an external one. Despite the candidates, I believe in voting. Preferably for some one or a party, but possibly against a candidate or party, with the option of either spoiling a ballot (better) or specifically declining a ballot (worse) in a worst case scenario. One of the old Greeks said something to the effect that those who refuse to get involved with the political process are doomed to be ruled by lesser men (or women).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being out of the US, I don't fit any of those categories (Bullmoose sounds good thought). No democracy is perfect, as noted by Churchill, and each of our countries has its own idiosyncracies which is weird from an internal view, let alone an external one. Despite the candidates, I believe in voting. Preferably for some one or a party, but possibly against a candidate or party, with the option of either spoiling a ballot (better) or specifically declining a ballot (worse) in a worst case scenario. One of the old Greeks said something to the effect that those who refuse to get involved with the political process are doomed to be ruled by lesser men (or women).
the funny thing is people keep saying the usa is a democracy, and in name we are but in practice we are really a representative republic.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
the funny thing is people keep saying the usa is a democracy, and in name we are but in practice we are really a representative republic.
Yes, by design. We choose all of our Congress, State Houses, County & City Officials democratically, by Majority vote, Because we; (the general public of citizens) could not possibly fill all of those roles while trying to live our own lives at the same time. This is why the often, apathetic low voter turnouts (@ all levels) for so many past elections, is so Sad for our Democracy. WE Choose Our Representatives.
Yet, in practice, WE are still Not allowed to choose, by majority vote, the only Office chosen which has the duty/responsibility to Represent All of US, as best as humanly possible.
Even :devilish:Putin ((n)(n)(n)) once commented; "how can you criticize Russian democracy when you (US) still have the electoral college"?

(of course this an off topic can of worms...and everyone has a right to their opinion...that is Democracy, in practice.;) I must add that personally, I would like to see political parties abolished & brief publicly funded campaigns where all candidates simply speak for themselves...wishful thinking:sneaky:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, by design. We choose all of our Congress, State Houses, County & City Officials democratically, by Majority vote, Because we; (the general public of citizens) could not possibly fill all of those roles while trying to live our own lives at the same time. This is why the often, apathetic low voter turnouts (@ all levels) for so many past elections, is so Sad for our Democracy. WE Choose Our Representatives.
Yet, in practice, WE are still Not allowed to choose, by majority vote, the only Office chosen which has the duty/responsibility to Represent All of US, as best as humanly possible.
Even :devilish:Putin ((n)(n)(n)) once commented; "how can you criticize Russian democracy when you (US) still have the electoral college"?

(of course this an off topic can of worms...and everyone has a right to their opinion...that is Democracy, in practice.;) I must add that personally, I would like to see political parties abolished & brief publicly funded campaigns where all candidates simply speak for themselves...wishful thinking:sneaky:)
Hey better everyone ones vote count for something rather then nothing at all. Otherwise a pres can pander to literally 2-3 cities not even states and win the presidency promising no taxes free healthcare free college etc for those cities. Bam everyone else's vote counts for diddly squat. Sorry but we are not a mob rule country. Once we are mob rule we've lost the original quality the founding fathers set us up as.

Now can we make the college and voting better? Absolutely!
Remove humans from the college. Have voting districts where one electoral vote is one electoral vote regardless. Add ranked voting on top of that. Then most people should feel better as their vote did count.

·
Registered
287 Posts
"Otherwise a pres can pander to literally 2-3 cities not even states and win the presidency promising no taxes free healthcare free college etc for those cities "

See here's the thing - politicians can and do say anything to get elected. They lie!
AND they spend hundreds of millions to get elected to a job that pays less than half a million. Hummm seem out of wack?
Then when elected they take money from PACs for votes - it called legal bribery!!!!
And lets see how can I get on board with that?? I can't.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Otherwise a pres can pander to literally 2-3 cities not even states and win the presidency promising no taxes free healthcare free college etc for those cities "

See here's the thing - politicians can and do say anything to get elected. They lie!
AND they spend hundreds of millions to get elected to a job that pays less than half a million. Hummm seem out of wack?
Then when elected they take money from PACs for votes - it called legal bribery!!!!
And lets see how can I get on board with that?? I can't.
And that is why I'm saying. Gov funds the campaign trail. Any acceptance of money 7 yrs prior or 7 yrs post position is considered treason.

·
Registered
189 Posts

The Electoral College was one of the most brilliant things our founding fathers did. At the time, there were of course, only 13 states. States were very independent at that time, and smaller states did not want larger states making their decisions, thus the Electoral College. Without it, California, New York, and a few other states could control this country.
With it, presidential candidates actually have to campaign in smaller population states like New Hampshire and Iowa to name a few. I live in a high population state, but I still strongly favor the Electoral College.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We have our own challenges (check links to National Post, Globe and Mail etc) with more than 3 parties. Different groups don't like the direction, so the Conservatives split, letting the left with the Liberals and NDP (New Democratic Party: not new, not too democratic, but a party...) dominate. Current PM Trudeau promised to get rid of "first past the post" system where the individual in a given riding with the most votes gets the seat, and replace it with some sort of proportionate representation...until he got in! Then he wants the rules to stay as they favor him.
My advise is vote for someone, vote against someone, spoil your ballot or reject your ballot as a protest, but use the system to express your votes. I figure if someone doesn't take the time to vote, when people across the world are fighting to the death to get the right to vote, then that person has no right to bitch.
I now descend from my soapbox.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
The Electoral College was one of the most brilliant things our founding fathers did. At the time, there were of course, only 13 states. States were very independent at that time, and smaller states did not want larger states making their decisions, thus the Electoral College. Without it, California, New York, and a few other states could control this country.
With it, presidential candidates actually have to campaign in smaller population states like New Hampshire and Iowa to name a few. I live in a high population state, but I still strongly favor the Electoral College.
I completely respect everyone's opinion and will always defend their right to express it. Any disagreement is the natural result of being human and unique, (too bad the political partie$ no longer think that way). If my memory serves me, Florida, Ohio, North & South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas,(& others?); the "Battleground" States have controlled who is chosen to be our one Leader, one to unite us, especially in times of trouble, for all of US. So, as to our Presidency, we have already had just a handful of states determine that outcome for quite some time.
(Not sure if California, New York & a few others have the populations to outnumber the other 45 , or so.) :unsure:
If every single citizen had one vote that counted, any Presidential candidate must do their best to appeal to every single voter in every single state, likely more so than currently. If voter turnout was as high as it should be, in every state, I believe that the results would usually be difficult to predict. Also, our Congress, chosen by majority vote in every state, has a say in controlling our country. Our founding fathers saw the need for "checks & balances" in our newly formed democratic, republic form of government. Unlike Vladimir Putin,:mad: (or Hitler), hopefully no dictatorship or "kingdom" can ever be allowed to form in our United States.
I am not an expert in any subject but I believe that our current government control, by money, power & political partisanship will ultimately destroy our form of government and our freedom.
While we are a long way from it: "In Order to Form a More Perfect Union"...we must keep trying...together. (the "red" state/"blue" state & "us vs. them" thinking is divisive & destructive)
Peace Be With You.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I completely respect everyone's opinion and will always defend their right to express it. Any disagreement is the natural result of being human and unique, (too bad the political partie$ no longer think that way). If my memory serves me, Florida, Ohio, North & South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas,(& others?); the "Battleground" States have controlled who is chosen to be our one Leader, one to unite us, especially in times of trouble, for all of US. So, as to our Presidency, we have already had just a handful of states determine that outcome for quite some time.
(Not sure if California, New York & a few others have the populations to outnumber the other 45 , or so.) :unsure:
If every single citizen had one vote that counted, any Presidential candidate must do their best to appeal to every single voter in every single state, likely more so than currently. If voter turnout was as high as it should be, in every state, I believe that the results would usually be difficult to predict. Also, our Congress, chosen by majority vote in every state, has a say in controlling our country. Our founding fathers saw the need for "checks & balances" in our newly formed democratic, republic form of government. Unlike Vladimir Putin,:mad: (or Hitler), hopefully no dictatorship or "kingdom" can ever be allowed to form in our United States.
I am not an expert in any subject but I believe that our current government control, by money, power & political partisanship will ultimately destroy our form of government and our freedom.
While we are a long way from it: "In Order to Form a More Perfect Union"...we must keep trying...together. (the "red" state/"blue" state & "us vs. them" thinking is divisive & destructive)
Peace Be With You.
The problem is mob rule is never a good idea, it led to the downfall of the greeks and a republic with no good representation like rome is no good this is why we are a hybrid. You may feel one vote is good but I can assure you overtime, maybe one year or one hundred elections, that it would become city state rule where country bumpkins were ruled by the city elite since they had the population to tell them what to do. This is why electoral college should be used for governors as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My former, long Democrat-dominated state of Colorado actually promotes Voting Fraud with these Progressive/Leftist voting rules:
  1. Universal Mail-Ballot Voting.
  2. No Photo ID required to Vote.
  3. Same-Day Registration & Voting
  4. Precinct Polling Places Permanently Closed.
  5. Chain-Of-Custody Ballot-Tracking Totally Lost.
  6. A Voter can describe (?) his/her/it-self sex as "Unknown".
  7. Some Voters allowed to be "Confidential" (no public record).
  8. Central-Office Ballot Scanning and Tally by political appointees.
  9. Send Two Primary Mail Ballots to every Unaffiliated (aka "Independent") Voter.
  10. A Voter can define him/her/it-self as a single name only. One of them is actually known as "YOU".

If your state allows - or seeks to approve - even one of the above Progressive ideas, then it too promotes Voting Fraud.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
The problem is mob rule is never a good idea, it led to the downfall of the greeks and a republic with no good representation like rome is no good this is why we are a hybrid. You may feel one vote is good but I can assure you overtime, maybe one year or one hundred elections, that it would become city state rule where country bumpkins were ruled by the city elite since they had the population to tell them what to do. This is why electoral college should be used for governors as well.
Not sure what "mob", "country bumpkins" or "city elite" means. "State's Rights" issues were likely a factor in designing the electoral college, as well as possibly thinking that the limited all male, eligible voter citizen population of our Original States may not be trusted to choose a qualified candidate having the necessary intellect and wisdom that our Presidency requires. Again; I believe that political parties are divisive because they have created the "us v. them" mentality and a solution must be found or divided we will fall. We, at least, need reasonable Congressional term limits.
IMHO, the millions & millions of our citizen population today, has among them; the well educated, the not so well educated & everyone in the middle, and that, as a whole, despite the destructive partisanship in our country, they can & should be trusted. We the People, all choose our Congress, which is arguably more important than the "Executive Branch", and there again, a couple of States may decide who leads all of US when more unity than division is desperately needed.
So I respectfully disagree with the electoral college. The entire citizen population (conservative, progressive, liberal, whatever we choose to label them) should have their voice at the ballot box.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure what "mob", "country bumpkins" or "city elite" means. "State's Rights" issues were likely a factor in designing the electoral college, as well as possibly thinking that the limited all male, eligible voter citizen population of our Original States may not be trusted to choose a qualified candidate having the necessary intellect and wisdom that our Presidency requires. Again; I believe that political parties are divisive because they have created the "us v. them" mentality and a solution must be found or divided we will fall. We, at least, need reasonable Congressional term limits.
IMHO, the millions & millions of our citizen population today, has among them; the well educated, the not so well educated & everyone in the middle, and that, as a whole, despite the destructive partisanship in our country, they can & should be trusted. We the People, all choose our Congress, which is arguably more important than the "Executive Branch", and again, a couple of States may decide who leads all of US when more unity than division is desperately needed.
So I respectfully disagree with the electoral college. The entire citizen population (conservative, progressive, liberal, whatever we choose to label them) should have their voice.
I agree they should have their voice not drowned out by the mob or majority rule if you prefer that

1 - 20 of 105 Posts